Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I predict a riot..

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Great news for wealthy tax dodgers. Not so good for the disabled or vulnerable.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Cor bitter much

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It is ironic that in voting for the status quo the UK electorate have in fact voted for what will be some of the biggest changes in living memory.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I know for some the NHS is about an idealogical point, ie it has to be state owned. Many others think the real point is free for those who use regardless of who provides. The waste in the NHS is not good and some alternatives is not bydefinition a bad idea. I guess its from those who think the state should do all for the people, from centtal planning to provision of as many servicesas possible.Rail, post, etc

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
why will the NHS be disappearing? has something happened?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cameron will sell it off cheap to his mates.

so it will still be there then. not quite the same thing as the OP was stating

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
As I indicated on the other thread, I think that out in the open privatisation of the NHS would be too unpopular for the tories to tackle. They will only have a small majority and, so will be subject to the threat of rebellion on contentious issues just as Major was between 92 and 97. I think it more likely that the first target will be the BBC. A private member's bill already tested the lay of the land last year:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mps-bid-privatise-bbc-fails-second-hurdle-1435593

Peter Bone and his cronies are the kind of right wing backbenchers that Cameron will need to offer sweeteners to if they are not to become his equivalent to Major's 'B'stards.'

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I know for some the NHS is about an idealogical point, ie it has to be state owned. Many others think the real point is free for those who use regardless of who provides. The waste in the NHS is not good and some alternatives is not bydefinition a bad idea. I guess its from those who think the state should do all for the people, from centtal planning to provision of as many servicesas possible.Rail, post, etc

The connundrum is that state owned organisations don't have to be 'free at the point of delivery'. They can generate revenues that go back to help fund levels of service ( like the BBC , or some University Teaching Hospitals ) - however most of these organisations ( British Rail, British Telecom, BA, CEGB, British Steel ) are no longer in public ownership, through ideological politics, rather than common sense.

(British) Career politicians make utterly useless business leaders. Most of the electorate don't worry about wether their train fare is subsidised, or how much profit/loss the rail companies are making. The Private Companies also know that (unless they have a monopoly) they cannot charge what they like, as their customers will vote with their feet and 'shop around' (ie. ditch the train and travel by car/bus/bike/plane ). Some services may become better, some will end up worse, but despite being in Private Hands, politicians don't like giving them free reign to charge what the market will sustain, they know that unfettered free market thinking leaves the political class completely redundant.

I'd argue that keeping a service in the public sector will encourage the electorate to make politicians more accountable for their decisions. One thing we do know is that once a service is privatised, it becomes highly attractive to foreign investors, usually resulting in 'offshoring' of both jobs and profits. Neither of which is good for UK PLC.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think today's results clearly show there will be no riots, no citizens demands being forcefully demonstrated. Indeed it has demonstrated we will willingly sleepwalk into a nightmare and never have the guys to stand up for ourselves.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I think today's results clearly show there will be no riots, no citizens demands being forcefully demonstrated. Indeed it has demonstrated we will willingly sleepwalk into a nightmare and never have the guys to stand up for ourselves.

Pastor Niemoller Dribble, Pastor Niemoller.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here