Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Example of change we can now expect

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Yesterday I completed a three day Approved Persons refresher training aimed exclusively at the NHS.

This training is required every three years being quite intense with the need to pass two written exams to keep registraion.one interesting by productive of this course is the opportunity of meeting others from all over the country.

These refresher sessions are small in numbers with only twelve individuals on each session, three years ago of the twelve only one I remember was employed by an organisation outside of the NHS at the time much to the interest of the other eleven.

Three years later of the twelve individuals on my course I was shocked to find only two remain directly employed by the NHS and one of those was awaiting privatisation of their service in the next month

I am one of those who now works for a private organisation

Quite a remarkable change in three years makes me wonder has this been replicated in other areas of social care as today's results give the Tories a very clear mandate to change as they see fit

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With only 50% or just less than that of MP's, there won't be a clear mandate to do whatever they want.

Moribund and Balls's relentless "x days to save the NHS" propaganda, didn't convince the electorate whatsoever.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
With only 50% or just less than that of MP's, there won't be a clear mandate to do whatever they want.

Moribund and Balls's relentless "x days to save the NHS" propaganda, didn't convince the electorate whatsoever.

Well obviously it might have because they have won seats, such as Hove, incidentally.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I would be very surprised if anything too controversial re the NHS would get through parliament even if the Tories have a slim majority. Some backbenchers are bound to rebel. Dramatic changes usually only happen when a party has a huge majority.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I would be very surprised if anything too controversial re the NHS would get through parliament even if the Tories have a slim majority. Some backbenchers are bound to rebel. Dramatic changes usually only happen when a party has a huge majority.

But that's my point it has and is happening almost by stealth

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Doesn't need anything else to go through parliament -- the Health and Social Care Act that Andrew Lansley put through parliament in 2011/12 already contains the enabling legislation for the ongoing privatisation of large parts of the NHS. It's a reasonable expectation that this privatisation will accelerate under a new Tory administration, without the need of anything going through parliament.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can expect the Tory kid gloves to come off now, and the jackboots to go on, as regards austerity measures.

Especially as DC, definitely and Gideon,probably will retire at the end of this term and leave others to pick up the pieces. It could be the Tory equivalent of what Blair did to Brown, leaving the next Tory leader with a poisoned chalice.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Especially as DC, definitely and Gideon,probably will retire at the end of this term and leave others to pick up the pieces. It could be the Tory equivalent of what Blair did to Brown, leaving the next Tory leader with a poisoned chalice.

On the plus side, the Tories will be so despised after another five years of austerity measures that they'll get DESTROYED at the polls next time round.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
On the plus side, the Tories will be so despised after another five years of austerity measures that they'll get DESTROYED at the polls next time round.

The question is..who will the people turn to?

Almost inevitably, Scotland will demand, succesfully, for independence within the lifetime of this parliament, together with the Murdoch and Rothermere press attacks this makes the likelihood of a future Labour government highly unlikely.

I truly fear for the future of this country, for those of you with money to invest, go large on an extended, privatised prison building programme.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have a cunning plan,

We de-value the pound to such an extent that we all become millionaires, then we can all share in the Tories ' Economic Miracle' not just those who are wealthy now.

Jobs a good un

Dec 29, 2011
As a bit of an aside, is there any way of telling which ages voted for which parties? For example is Hove a younger area hence the move to Labour?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
As a bit of an aside, is there any way of telling which ages voted for which parties? For example is Hove a younger area hence the move to Labour?

Young people voted for Labour and the Greens. No data - just experience.

There's far, far, far less older people in Hove these days than there is in Brighton Kemptown or Eastbourne, for example.
For a start: it's ridiculously expensive to live in. Pensioners make up 30%+ of those towns to the East of Brighton. In Hove that figure would be more like 15%. Fair few students live here and catch the 25 direct to both Uni's. BIM also just down the road.
Also, it's close enough to Brighton Pav to have been influenced by the swell of Leftyism there.
Also worthy of note is the abudance of former-London residents now settled here. A quick check of London politics shows it to be more left-leaning than the rest of the South East has ever been.

It's a fascinating place for local politics, is Brighton. No one party ever has a 'lock' on the area, with both the council and parliamentary seats swinging from left to right.
The Libs don't really get a look in though. I've never understood why that should be. Perhaps it's that younger people don't vote Lib Dem any more (actually, looking at the political map today, hardly anyone does)

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
Young people voted for Labour and the Greens. No data - just experience.

There's far, far, far less older people in Hove these days than there is in Brighton Kemptown or Eastbourne, for example.
For a start: it's ridiculously expensive to live in. Pensioners make up 30%+ of those towns to the East of Brighton. In Hove that figure would be more like 15%. Fair few students live here and catch the 25 direct to both Uni's. BIM also just down the road.
Also, it's close enough to Brighton Pav to have been influenced by the swell of Leftyism there.
Also worthy of note is the abudance of former-London residents now settled here. A quick check of London politics shows it to be more left-leaning than the rest of the South East has ever been.

It's a fascinating place for local politics, is Brighton. No one party ever has a 'lock' on the area, with both the council and parliamentary seats swinging from left to right.
The Libs don't really get a look in though. I've never understood why that should be. Perhaps it's that younger people don't vote Lib Dem any more (actually, looking at the political map today, hardly anyone does)

Thanks, I suspected that may be the case. As people get older do they move to the right, or is it a generational thing (ie in the future labour will be more popular as the young grow up?).

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
To go back to the thread title, can we expect a Gerrymandering of Constituency boundaries ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here