Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Polling booth staff

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Is it a criteria that they must be over 65 miserable &humourless.
Ever since I've been voting every bunch have been boring old fu@kers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure how they are selected now but it used to be 'contacts' of the local council.......I did vote counting at a general and a local election, the town approached the bank where I worked because 'cashiers will be good at counting piles of paper'. Seem to remember the pay was ok at the time and it was a good laugh. I'm with the OP though, was a bit like that in my local polling station today.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
They are usually council workers, a fact I learned today whilst chatting to the two ladies manning our polling station.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Boring old ****ers? Aren't you charming!

I do try :lol:

Must be where i live, they give the impression your inconveniencing and interrupting them, one was even eating her lunch out of her tupperware box! as one handed my card to the other he abruptly said "Wait I'm busy" and left the wife & I standing there whist he filled out some forms before picking up our cards and then picked up another set of lists to check the numbers before shouting these at the other person who was only 4 feet away who handed us our ballot papers !., no please, thank you's there you go, nothing, Sorry but they were miserable ****ers, wish i had had Sir Albions team !

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Go easy on them- it's a long day*

I did polling clerk job once, quite boring with no tv allowed, to break the monotony.. The last few hours were the worst, and I have never felt so tired after a day sitting around!

* polling open 7am-10pm, plus there is setup / travel time..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They are usually council workers, a fact I learned today whilst chatting to the two ladies manning our polling station.

Long hours and then if DC gets back in you are liable to get the sack, no wonder they are miserable !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Go easy on them- it's a long day*! I did polling clerk job once, quite boring with no tv allowed, to break the monotony..

The last few hours were the worst, I never felt so tired after a day sitting around!

* polling open 7am-10pm, plus there is setup / travel time..

......and a handful of twunts who deliberately wait until 9.59pm to pile in to vote

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Some hotties up here in Hollingdean. One even flirtily closed her eyes and she had 'Vote' and 'Green' on either eyelid. I honestly thought I was Indiana Jones lecturing my archaeology class, while Denholm Elliott (RIP) looked on from the wings.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Is it a criteria that they must be over 65 miserable &humourless.
Ever since I've been voting every bunch have been boring old fu@kers.

First -- the ones at my polling station were polite, smiley and helpful.

Second - it really is wrong to say "a criteria". Criteria is a plural noun, the singular of which is "a criterion". Please write out "must do better" 100 times

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here