Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New winger / triallist from Chelmsford City

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Just saw this pop up....Presumably Dev Squad prospect. Chelmsford FC are currently mid table in Conference South.

Chelmsford City's promising winger Joe Ward is down on the south coast as he prepares for a trial at Sky Bet Championship side Brighton & Hove Albion.
The 19-year-old recently played two games on trial with West Ham United's U21 team but, despite feeling he had done well, the Premier League club decided against signing him – however, when one door closes, another opens.
Soon after the news broke that the Hammers wouldn't be taking Ward on board, the Seagulls got on the phone to the City man's delight.
"West Ham's U21 manager was watching a few of our games and they obviously were interested," said Ward. "I trialled for a week and I thought I did well in training and wasn't out of place and after the game against Norwich City they asked me to come back the following week.
"I played the following Friday at Upton Park against Manchester City and I did OK but I didn't get much of the ball.
"They said they were close to taking me and it was a hard decision but they signed a couple more players so I think that made up their mind.
"Now I'm on trial at Brighton for another week and playing this Friday [tomorrow] at the Amex against Stoke City.

via http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Ward-wings-Brighton-latest-trial/story-26449778-detail/story.html

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Thank you CJ. Good news, but we need at least one in that position for the first team squad...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Blah blah tinpot signing from non league bloom out. Barber out taken for mugs etc drone snore.

(just thought I'd save the usual muppets the trouble)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Blah blah tinpot signing from non league bloom out. Barber out taken for mugs etc drone snore.

(just thought I'd save the usual muppets the trouble)

Well, nobody's said anything like that so far...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:yawn: He's no Patrick Friday Eze.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I wish him well and lets hope he does well and succeeds, my point is a slightly wider point beyond a promising kid from Chelmsford.

For me he is unlikely to better (at the moment) than perhaps a young U21 winger that we already have, I think clubs generally forget how to develop their own players, all players especially those that are young require some really effective coaching, understanding and opportunity.

We seem to renew the young U21 playing staff each year, bring in another lot and then cut them aswell, each player and the club might prosper by offering a little bit more time and innovative development ideas rather than look at a player as if he is at his under 12's school team trial, invest a little more time and trust and I think we would get better outcomes.

We as all clubs have an active recruitment department and they start to go further and further afield to justify their existence (I am talking Academy up to U21's) it has included Iceland and Ireland where lets be fair Iceland has about the population of Eastbourne and we are always going to be second dibs behind the bigger clubs to access the top top talent Ireland might have. ( this isnt a view on any current players we have, more a general one)

The end result is generally recruitment of players absolutely no better than the ones they have just released and so it goes on, it isnt a great help to English players either.

I was recently speaking to a German friend he happens to be a scout for a Bundesliga team, he said that his remit is to go out and find young local German talent, not just any talent, local if possible,German definitely, the Germans tend to get things right.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, I was surprised to hear that James Muitt was released this week. Real shame for him, I thought he might have had a chance of getting onto the fringes of the first team this season - he played in one of the 1st team friendlies last summer over in Spain, and bagged a few goals for the U21's. He's a nice lad with a top attitude, I've known him for years as he's a friend of my sons. Really hope he can get himself fixed up with another club soon.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As an aside, I was surprised to hear that James Muitt was released this week. Real shame for him, I thought he might have had a chance of getting onto the fringes of the first team this season - he played in one of the 1st team friendlies last summer over in Spain, and bagged a few goals for the U21's. He's a nice lad with a top attitude, I've known him for years as he's a friend of my sons. Really hope he can get himself fixed up with another club soon.

A local lad as well I think.

Perhaps just perhaps he plays in a similar position as one of the Icelandic, Irish lads or this triallist. (I do not mean to be pick on them as I wish them every success and I dont know them)

James Muitt might have turned up one rainy February when he was 12 years old, no-one of any note recruited him, if he has now been released this week and if you accept that the whole pool of development players are of similar talent and their full potential yet to be determined, then it is likely that he didnt have a determined representation when the decision was taken.

The recruitment department couldnt take credit, he and others can soon become dispensable, whilst the decision makers are fervently lobbied by those in some power for 'their' recommendations to be considered, it really can be that fragile.

Too many young English players are then lost to the game.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I agree with you to an extent, but there's now a record number of professional clubs in the game (most Conference clubs have gone full time) and so there is a route back for many of them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I agree with you to an extent, but there's now a record number of professional clubs in the game (most Conference clubs have gone full time) and so there is a route back for many of them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A local lad as well I think.

Perhaps just perhaps he plays in a similar position as one of the Icelandic, Irish lads or this triallist. (I do not mean to be pick on them as I wish them every success and I dont know them)

James Muitt might have turned up one rainy February when he was 12 years old, no-one of any note recruited him, if he has now been released this week and if you accept that the whole pool of development players are of similar talent and their full potential yet to be determined, then it is likely that he didnt have a determined representation when the decision was taken.

The recruitment department couldnt take credit, he and others can soon become dispensable, whilst the decision makers are fervently lobbied by those in some power for 'their' recommendations to be considered, it really can be that fragile.

Yep, local lad from Portslade. He's a striker. His parents were always very supportive, but I doubt parents hold much sway in terms of "representation", and I don't know who scouted him. I believe he had a trial at Southampton as well prior to being picked up by the Albion. Hopefully he'll get a chance elsewhere.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yep, local lad from Portslade. He's a striker. His parents were always very supportive, but I doubt parents hold much sway in terms of "representation", and I don't know who scouted him. I believe he had a trial at Southampton as well prior to being picked up by the Albion. Hopefully he'll get a chance elsewhere.

No definitely not parents, representation as in by those that feel they have a stake in him and have a role within the club that might persuade, usually the recruitment team or part of those that got him to the club in the first instance.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Yes thats true, but if you are a young English player then you need to be be given an advantage to progress ahead of others that aren't English, similarly with local ahead of non local, accepting that the talent pool is similar and your aim is for English/local players to succeed.

I think perhaps the dynamic is different at the very top clubs, they scramble to sign those at the very top tier of young talent, there are less of them and there of a premium, but as soon as you look beyond those talented few into perhaps the Championship the development coach could if capable enough find successes nearer home.

But that would then make the Academy recruitment departments redundant.........

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here