Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local newspapers' political leanings? Do they...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
...have them do you think?

I ask in light of a bit of controversy over the latest edition of our local rag - Hastings Observer (among other locals in the group) featured a front page 'wrap around advertisment' for the Conservatives.

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2...ront-page-ad-wrap-appears-on-regional-papers/
http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2...r-apology-over-weeklys-disgraceful-tory-wrap/

I don't buy the observer , but whenever I have read it I've always felt it tends to lean to the right. So when I saw a copy of it today I didn't even realise it was an ad and not their genuine front page on first glance.

Do you think ads in this style are acceptable, even if they really are available to any party to buy?

What do you think is the political leanings of your local rag, or do you think it's unlike the nationals and is genuinely impartial?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Argus is very New Labour.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
It certainly wasn't obvious that it was an ad on first glance. There was an editorial comment on page 2 of the actual paper explaining it was a business / advertising decision and one not taken at local level. One thing for certain is that this "front page" won't do anything for the circulation figure.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
West Sussex County Times you would think would automatically be True Blue.

However they have been very much against the ruling Horsham District Council Tories for quite some time now for reasons most locals will be well aware of.

The County Times is a very fine Local Newspaper and shows up the Argus for the Bog Roll that it is....

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Really poor to see the Hastings Observer and Eastbourne Herald running these page one ads. Local papers shouldn't have political bias and should turn down these kinds of ads.

The Herald's "actual" front page (on page three) adds insult to injury by reporting on the big Tory marketing offensive in the constituency. As if it wasn't obvious enough.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
West Sussex County Times you would think would automatically be True Blue.

Maude's weekly column did nothing to enhance that perception. The most inane, rambling, self-glorifying load of arse dribble I've ever read.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here