Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Those little political signs in people's gardens

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What's the deal with those little (and sometimes huge) "Vote ##" signs in people's gardens, and in field margins across Sussex? Firstly, are they really worth the cost and effort? Does anyone suddenly change their mind as a result of seeing them? For me personally if anything they’re more likely to stop me voting for the given parties. Driving home down the C7 from Lewes to Newhaven and the beautiful spring countryside is littered with them. There’s even one field with alternate Lib Dem and Tory signs every 10 yards.

Where there are particularly large ones, like the massive VOTE UKIP posters you see going east through Peacehaven and as you leave Lewes on the A26 towards Uckfield, they're almost offensive.

Secondly, it surprises me that so many people are that firmly behind one party, AND the very notion of party politics, that they want to sing and shout about who they are voting for.

Thirdly, I was working up in London today and notice that there are NONE of these up there. I drove through Sutton, Mitcham, Tooting, Wandsworth, etc. and didn’t see one. Do you have a lot of them where you live?

Thoughts?

I should add that this is not a dig at anyone who has them, am just curious.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Its only a bit of willy waving Notters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I like them. They're a simple effective way of ordinary people engaging with the political process. Plus they give an instant snapshot of now nice or nasty your neighbours are.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
They stop other parties knocking on your door and usually delivering leaflets which then have to go straight in the recycling.

wow that really is a case of Big Brother watching you if they can tell that from wherever they are posting their leaflets from via Royal Mail to your address.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The local farmer in my village has put three massive "Vote Conservative" signs up at each entrance to the village, giving it the air of a Tory-mad village, which it may well be, I suppose. I see these kinds of signs mostly in farmers' fields. I don't know whether it's a case of very political farmers, or a case of opportunistic party members cajoling sympathetic landowners. There is a massive UKIP sign in a field that looks like it belongs to a very affluent estate on the north side of the M40 just before it meets the M25. Who lives in a house like this, I wonder?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Some not so little.......Massive Tory ones on left of A27 between Southerham and Beddingham.....Blowing away...like their Majority ????

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What's the deal with those little (and sometimes huge) "Vote ##" signs in people's gardens, and in field margins across Sussex? Firstly, are they really worth the cost and effort? Does anyone suddenly change their mind as a result of seeing them? For me personally if anything they’re more likely to stop me voting for the given parties. Driving home down the C7 from Lewes to Newhaven and the beautiful spring countryside is littered with them. There’s even one field with alternate Lib Dem and Tory signs every 10 yards.

Where there are particularly large ones, like the massive VOTE UKIP posters you see going east through Peacehaven and as you leave Lewes on the A26 towards Uckfield, they're almost offensive.

Secondly, it surprises me that so many people are that firmly behind one party, AND the very notion of party politics, that they want to sing and shout about who they are voting for.

Thirdly, I was working up in London today and notice that there are NONE of these up there. I drove through Sutton, Mitcham, Tooting, Wandsworth, etc. and didn’t see one. Do you have a lot of them where you live?

Thoughts?

I should add that this is not a dig at anyone who has them, am just curious.

Yep, a lot of them up here in the Sussex Weald too, the 7 mile drive along the A281 into Horsham sees many signs, inevitably almost all Tory, and many with Jeremy Quin's face grinning at you.

I think it's all harmless enough, and akin in a way to you or l wearing our replica shirts on a matchday, just showing our support for our favourite team/party.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
In my seat, Battersea, the Conservatives don't bother with posters, preferring personal canvassing and leafleting. There are a few Labour posters around; last time there were masses, giving the impression that Labour would hold the seat. They didn't - the Conservatives took it by over 5000 votes. However, go into Kingston and Richmond and it's a very different picture. On the A3 Kingston Bypass, there are loads for Ed Davey (Kingston and Surbiton); I don't know which way you went, Notters, while over in Richmond Park there are huge numbers of Tory posters, a few for the Lib Dems (who held the seat from 1997 to 2010), and the odd one for Labour. I drove down the road I lived in as a boy for old time's sake on Sunday morning. Virtually every other house had a Tory poster outside it.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Even worse is people you know trying to persuade you to vote as they do. One of our group who goes to the Amex keeps sending facebook messages about the party he is going to vote for.
I have told him I do not discuss politics or religion in depth with people I know but he still posts same drivel. My views are my business only. Pack it in Ian!!!!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Even worse is people you know trying to persuade you to vote as they do. One of our group who goes to the Amex keeps sending facebook messages about the party he is going to vote for.
I have told him I do not discuss politics or religion in depth with people I know but he still posts same drivel. My views are my business only. Pack it in Ian!!!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
From observation the main purpose appears to be to give dogs something to pee up.
Certainly seem to attract my two.........

................. Or maybe they just have a thing about blue and purple :lolol:

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Someone's put a moustache , glasses and devil horns on the Tory one opposite Sainsburys in Newhaven. Childish but funny

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Tell you what drives me MAD :censored:
When a candidate is being shown on TV there are always a handful of people behind with these banners flashing them in front of the camera. It looks stupid and the well suited idiots doing it look stupid as well. There, said it.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Was thinking the same today. Plenty of Tory ones around here especially in the fields but lots on houses as well, convinced its mostly ooh look at me I am rich and live in a nice house so I vote Conservative and I am alright jack, but I don't give a s**t about anybody else.
Also lots of Labour ones on the crappier houses saying I have been totally stitched. up over the past 5 years and I cant take anymore so please vote Labour.
Not many Lib Dem or UKIP though.
Just to bore and p***s off as many people as he can I should imagine Bozza has a huge vote Conservative blimp tied to his house.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Why do people put BHA car stickers in their car window?

It's the same isn't it? Just showing their support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here