Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Those little political signs in people's gardens

2 Not allowed!
    What's the deal with those little (and sometimes huge) "Vote ##" signs in people's gardens, and in field margins across Sussex? Firstly, are they really worth the cost and effort? Does anyone suddenly change their mind as a result of seeing them? For me personally if anything they’re more likely to stop me voting for the given parties. Driving home down the C7 from Lewes to Newhaven and the beautiful spring countryside is littered with them. There’s even one field with alternate Lib Dem and Tory signs every 10 yards.

Where there are particularly large ones, like the massive VOTE UKIP posters you see going east through Peacehaven and as you leave Lewes on the A26 towards Uckfield, they're almost offensive.

Secondly, it surprises me that so many people are that firmly behind one party, AND the very notion of party politics, that they want to sing and shout about who they are voting for.

Thirdly, I was working up in London today and notice that there are NONE of these up there. I drove through Sutton, Mitcham, Tooting, Wandsworth, etc. and didn’t see one. Do you have a lot of them where you live?

Thoughts?

I should add that this is not a dig at anyone who has them, am just curious.
    Last edited by Notters; 06-05-2015 at 15:35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something

• North Stand Chat

advertising

#cpfctinpotclub seagullsovergrimsby's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Its only a bit of willy waving Notters
      Response to a post by SeasideEagle on BBS - "Are you another account belonging to cpfc2010? You seem to be spouting the same bullshit."

0 Not allowed!
      I think it looks shite. Do they pay you for displaying a sign? If so I might get one next time, depends how much.

You can tell them all that we'll stand or fall for Sussex by the Sea
      Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      I like them. They're a simple effective way of ordinary people engaging with the political process. Plus they give an instant snapshot of now nice or nasty your neighbours are.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

1 Not allowed!
      They stop other parties knocking on your door and usually delivering leaflets which then have to go straight in the recycling.
      If we lived in a perfect place nobody would vote Tory.
      The voice of treason Guy Fawkes's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Medwayseagull View Post
      They stop other parties knocking on your door and usually delivering leaflets which then have to go straight in the recycling.
      wow that really is a case of Big Brother watching you if they can tell that from wherever they are posting their leaflets from via Royal Mail to your address.

1 Not allowed!
      The local farmer in my village has put three massive "Vote Conservative" signs up at each entrance to the village, giving it the air of a Tory-mad village, which it may well be, I suppose. I see these kinds of signs mostly in farmers' fields. I don't know whether it's a case of very political farmers, or a case of opportunistic party members cajoling sympathetic landowners. There is a massive UKIP sign in a field that looks like it belongs to a very affluent estate on the north side of the M40 just before it meets the M25. Who lives in a house like this, I wonder?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Some not so little.......Massive Tory ones on left of A27 between Southerham and Beddingham.....Blowing away...like their Majority ?
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Notters View Post
      What's the deal with those little (and sometimes huge) "Vote ##" signs in people's gardens, and in field margins across Sussex? Firstly, are they really worth the cost and effort? Does anyone suddenly change their mind as a result of seeing them? For me personally if anything they’re more likely to stop me voting for the given parties. Driving home down the C7 from Lewes to Newhaven and the beautiful spring countryside is littered with them. There’s even one field with alternate Lib Dem and Tory signs every 10 yards.

Where there are particularly large ones, like the massive VOTE UKIP posters you see going east through Peacehaven and as you leave Lewes on the A26 towards Uckfield, they're almost offensive.

Secondly, it surprises me that so many people are that firmly behind one party, AND the very notion of party politics, that they want to sing and shout about who they are voting for.

Thirdly, I was working up in London today and notice that there are NONE of these up there. I drove through Sutton, Mitcham, Tooting, Wandsworth, etc. and didn’t see one. Do you have a lot of them where you live?

Thoughts?

I should add that this is not a dig at anyone who has them, am just curious.
      Yep, a lot of them up here in the Sussex Weald too, the 7 mile drive along the A281 into Horsham sees many signs, inevitably almost all Tory, and many with Jeremy Quin's face grinning at you.

I think it's all harmless enough, and akin in a way to you or l wearing our replica shirts on a matchday, just showing our support for our favourite team/party.