Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor sticks the knife in - and he's right

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and the rest of the board are bloody clueless when it comes to football. Don't worry, Tony Bloom reminded Martin Perry at the dinner awards that he's still got to build the £50m hotel before he retires.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's laughable that Hyppia said he wouldn't do anything differently. I'm sure we could all think of a dozen things without breaking sweat. I'll start with

1. Pick a different team for Millwall at home

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
3. Complain about a lack of width (Middlesbrough at home) Resolve this with O Grady on for Holla.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Once again Naylor is spot on.

Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and the rest of the board are bloody clueless when it comes to football. Don't worry, Tony Bloom reminded Martin Perry at the dinner awards that he's still got to build the £50m hotel before he retires.

It's plain to see that neither of them have any interest in football at all,Bloom is just using the Albion to increase a property portfolio,as for Barber,I'm ****ed if I know what his motive is.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Christ I've just remembered what a shite season we had!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
4. Play the same way every week leaving the full backs totally exposed and an open door to attack.

I'll shut up now.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Prior to the three defeats to Fulham, Millwall and Derby, I was with the Board. But Hyypia failed to get it right when it really mattered.

I did not know that CH was waiting in the sidelines though as I thought getting a new Manager would be difficult.

His after match quotes did not help.

I never held with the wing-back system though. I have always held that three at the back is crazy.

I was not happy with the analysis driven recruitment, especially as Baldock was not as fast as as his reputation.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It's plain to see that neither of them have any interest in football at all,Bloom is just using the Albion to increase a property portfolio,as for Barber,I'm ****ed if I know what his motive is.

If Bloom was only interested in property firstly why would you spend such a vast sum which is unlikely to yield a return and could easily have been put into property projects elsewhere for a much better return?and also So why does Bloom go to home AND AWAY games then? Especially by train where he is approached by fans?

How many games did someone like Bill Archer attend? - now there is a person who had no interest in football.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If Bloom was only interested in property firstly why would you spend such a vast sum which is unlikely to yield a return and could easily have been put into property projects elsewhere for a much better return?and also So why does Bloom go to home AND AWAY games then? Especially by train where he is approached by fans?

How many games did someone like Bill Archer attend? - now there is a person who had no interest in football.

:facepalm:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Prior to the three defeats to Fulham, Millwall and Derby, I was with the Board. But Hyypia failed to get it right when it really mattered.

I did not know that CH was waiting in the sidelines though as I thought getting a new Manager would be difficult.

His after match quotes did not help.

I never held with the wing-back system though. I have always held that three at the back is crazy.

Three centre backs with two wing backs is fast becoming the height of fashion and but for a mong-tastic performance by Greer we'd have held Watford using it.

TWO centre backs with two pushed up full backs, JFC and Gardner holding and the remainder managing to isolate a lone striker, is, however, lunacy. Something you're luckily acquainted with.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There was no burning desire at boardroom level to remove Hyypia.

I've heard similar before, but then most chairman appear 100% behind a manager right up until the moment they sack him.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
He sure 'stuck the knife into' Jones, Garcia, Hyypia and 'a handful of senior pros' in his Boro match report on Monday, re: Albion's decline since Poyet.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The key point in the comments was made by pablobrowno:

"Oh for the days of Dick Knight's tenure but with Tony's financial backing!"

Sure, there was that dodgy time when we were supposed to sign five players, but somehow you felt the whole operation was trying to pull together, against virtually impossible circumstances. I attended the Seagulls over London evening at which Bloom spoke to us. I left in despair, thinking he just didn't have a clue. It was obvious that there was no way he was going to sack Hyypia, and that he thought he'd made completely the right decision in appointing him. Why could he not see this, when nearly everyone else in the room could? The same old look at the stadium, the training ground, £200 million brigade will likely be out to flame me, but can I remind them that Mark McGhee, with far fewer resources at his disposal, kept an Albion side in the Championship. That side more or less threw their lives on the line to grind out results - Carpenter, Oatway, Paul Watson, Kuipers, etc. This is not to have a dig at Hughton, who as Naylor correctly says, was given a very poor hand to play, but to me something has clearly gone wrong. No-one can deny what Bloom has put in, but he does seem to need some better football-knowledgeable people round him. Apart from Martin Perry, I've no idea what most of the other board members do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here