Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE / stock market

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know that no one knows for sure, but anyone else think the FTSE might take a knock after the election this week? Already seen it drop over last 2 weeks.

Reason I ask is I have a considerable amount tied up in a stocks & shares cash ISA and need it in about 8 weeks time and I'd rather not see any significant amount wiped from it.

Thoughts ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know that no one knows for sure, but anyone else think the FTSE might take a knock after the election this week? Already seen it drop over last 2 weeks.

Reason I ask is I have a considerable amount tied up in a stocks & shares cash ISA and need it in about 8 weeks time and I'd rather not see any significant amount wiped from it.

Thoughts ?

Good question, was just thinking about this today. Half tempted to liquidate ISA funds to cash and wait a few weeks......tricky one.

Stock markets usually discount possible problems affecting the market some time in advance so unless you think something is going to happen that they haven't thought about then I would suggest you are too late.

But as a general rule you should only have money in shares that you aren't going to need - or maybe need - in the relatively near future. The time to liquidate into cash is probably 3 months before you need it, maybe even more.

Even if the market has correctly forecast the result of the election there could always be some unknown and unexpected event that could cause a sudden crash and then you are in the soft and nasty. Something like 9/11.

Don't be greedy. Stocks and shares are a long term investment, not somewhere to have money that you need to get hold of fairly quickly

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Stock markets usually discount possible problems affecting the market some time in advance so unless you think something is going to happen that they haven't thought about then I would suggest you are too late.

But as a general rule you should only have money in shares that you aren't going to need - or maybe need - in the relatively near future. The time to liquidate into cash is probably 3 months before you need it, maybe even more.

Even if the market has correctly forecast the result of the election there could always be some unknown and unexpected event that could cause a sudden crash and then you are in the soft and nasty. Something like 9/11.

Don't be greedy. Stocks and shares are a long term investment, not somewhere to have money that you need to get hold of fairly quickly

Thanks. But greedy is a bit harsh. My money has been in there for 6 years, which I think you would agree is quite long term. Always comes a time when you might need it though

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
As Cadiz Seagull has already said, the market has theoretically already priced in its expectation - presumably of no overall control. The market shouldn't fall therefore unless something unexpected happens. However, markets are never as rational as they are supposed to be, so you might as well toss a coin if you're trying to predict the really short term. Best to de-risk over time - easier said than done though. Sorry to be no help whatsoever!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there might be a little negative sentiment if there's a Labour government, a little positive if its Conservative. the FTSE barely reflects the UK economy anymore, dominated by multinationals. and you say its down in two weeks, its up (just) over the last month, so do whats most comfortable.

Thanks. But greedy is a bit harsh. My money has been in there for 6 years, which I think you would agree is quite long term. Always comes a time when you might need it though

Sorry you're right, greedy was a bit harsh. Yes 6 years is a good time to invest in shares but my point was don't hang on till the last minute in the hope of getting a few more percentage points. Nobody, not even Warren Buffett, gets out at the right time unless they are lucky. The best time to sell is before the market reaches the peak but unless you have a time machine you can't know when that will be.

This is going to be absolutely no use to you whatsoever (like lots of things you read on NSC) but the right time to get out was probably at the turn of the year. OK you may miss out on a bit more gain (I don't know if you would have done as I don't follow the market closely these days) but at least you would sleep nights.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Thoughts ?

all the above plus....

if you need it in 8 weeks you should already be thinking about withdrawing it soon. You've probably had a good return over the past 6 years (post 2008 recovery) and if it matches your expectations/needs/hopes then why leave it a bit longer in the hope of squeezing a bit more profit? "Leave some profit for the next person". At times of uncertainty (election, political change,etc) there's probably a bigger downside than upside, especially as it's currently at record levels. The "wrong" coalition could harm market confidence.

You could always withdraw some/what you need and speculate with the rest.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Thoughts ?

I've just read you post more carefully - what do you mean by a stocks & shares cash ISA?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've just read you post more carefully - what do you mean by a stocks & shares cash ISA?

Sorry just meant stocks & shares ISA.

Thanks all, was never really about seeing significant gains in next 8 weeks, just holding or making back the 1% or so it has lost recently. I'll have a look to cash out tomorrow i think so I know what I have

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sorry just meant stocks & shares ISA.

Thanks all, was never really about seeing significant gains in next 8 weeks, just holding or making back the 1% or so it has lost recently. I'll have a look to cash out tomorrow i think so I know what I have

I got out of S&S a few months ago and although I would have got more if I had left it til now, the relief of having the cash in my pocket was worth it.......it would have been more of a dilemma if I'd wanted to reinvest (given the poor cash rates) rather than spend

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
No it won't.

There may be a bit of a sell off but most companies in the FTSE are global and not really bothered who is in charge in the UK.

Maybe not, but the ftse 250 will , and that IS reflective of the UK economy.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
No it won't.

There may be a bit of a sell off but most companies in the FTSE are global and not really bothered who is in charge in the UK.

Tbh I'd be more concerned about a Grexit than the outcome of the election.

Markets haven't priced that in at all and bunds sold off aggressively today.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If labour get in it will plummett

I really dont want the current, lying, gimmick driven hard left labour to get in, however..... the markets will move less with that outcome than if there is weeks of no government haggling or a flimsy minority government.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Thoughts ?

Bet spreading is for you? Keep the shares and take a position on a falling market. You"ll never sleep again.:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here