Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex-Players Released

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I see Matt Sparrow has been released.

Also Carlisle willing to listen to offers for Gary Dicker, though it seems to have upset quite a few of their supporters. Paynter also 'made available', though their supporters seem less bothered about that........:lolol:

Joe Mattock released by Sheff Wed - would take him over Bennett, as at least he can defend (though not as good offensively).

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I see Matt Sparrow has been released.

Also Carlisle willing to listen to offers for Gary Dicker, though it seems to have upset quite a few of their supporters. Paynter also 'made available', though their supporters seem less bothered about that........:lolol:

Joe Mattock released by Sheff Wed - would take him over Bennett, as at least he can defend (though not as good offensively).

I agree with you on Mattock. Of course other players are available but I'd take him over Bennett any day.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I thought Spaz would finish his career at Scunny in a player/coach role. Before he joined the Albion he did a college course in Leisure and Tourism during his first spell with The Iron.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Mattock definitely a better player than Bennett imo, surprised he's been released from Sheff Wed.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Mattock definitely a better player than Bennett imo, surprised he's been released from Sheff Wed.

Are you basing it upon Joe Mattock as he is now, or how he was for us?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Are you basing it upon Joe Mattock as he is now, or how he was for us?

I can't imagine his attributes have changed that much in the few years playing for Wednesday, I'm not saying by any means he'd be the top of my list but rather him than yet another loanee at LB.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There are some valuable gems out there on frees, Joe Mattock being one of them and Jamie Ward released by Derby is another.

We could do much worse than snap up those two and all of a sudden we've got a couple of tricky positions covered with good quality, without paying too much.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
All a bit of a come down though.

We are now talking about signing Championship rejects. A couple of years ago it was Vicente, Ulloa and Bridge.

Just goes to emphasise just how much of a opportunity that season was. We had possibly the best team we've ever had (even compared to the team that went up and survived in the 1st Division) and we blew it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We are now talking about signing Championship rejects. A couple of years ago it was Vicente, Ulloa and Bridge.

looking at a couple of free players doesn't prevent us from signing players like you list. i'm pretty sure they weren't all top signings then either, Vicente and Ulloa both gambles for a start.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just goes to emphasise just how much of a opportunity that season was. We had possibly the best team we've ever had (even compared to the team that went up and survived in the 1st Division) and we blew it.

We certainly did. After 30 years supporting the Albion l'm beginning to wonder when, if ever, l will see a Brighton side play in the Premier League.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

How can you possibly tell?. one thing Bennett did have is an entire season with the Albion, Mattock just a handful of games, not enough in my opinion to determine just how good, or otherwise, he was.

Remember too, it was quite some time ago now, and there must be some reason why Wednesday are letting him go.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Are we in danger of viewing the past, more successful seasons with rose-tinted spectacles here?

Was Joe Mattock really that good? I had him down as very similar to Joe Bennett: likes to get forward & capable of looking dangerous when he does, but noticeably lacking in the defensive department.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Are we in danger of viewing the past, more successful seasons with rose-tinted spectacles here?

Was Joe Mattock really that good? I had him down as very similar to Joe Bennett: likes to get forward & capable of looking dangerous when he does, but noticeably lacking in the defensive department.

Not in my case, no. I would prefer Bennett to sign permanently but Mattock is a good left back for this league, he's available on a free and he will solve a problem area in the squad early on to allow us to get the strikers and attacking midfielders that we need.

Joe Bennett is a FAR more talented footballer than Mattock. Its not even close.

That's generous. They are very similar standard players.

el punal

We blew it, as you describe it, not because of the Palace debacle in the play-offs but because we drew EIGHTEEN games that season. Had we just turned two of those draws into wins we would have overtaken Hull into second place and been promoted. The number of matches that we totally dominated but failed to score the decisive goal was the painful saga of that season.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Joe Bennett is a FAR more talented footballer than Mattock. Its not even close.

Disagree, people keep saying how good Bennett is at 'going forward', he has had several very presentable goalscoring opportunities this season and failed to find the net. He also cost us 2/3 cheap, easily defenable goals in away games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here