Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting significant transfer business done early?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Any chance of this?

It seems that we are always very slow out of the traps, but is this the same as everyone? Do all players hang on throughout the summer waiting for the best deal and therefore it isn't just us? Or are we just wiating haggling for the best deal and therefore miss out on the best?

Will we still be waiting during August with Barber confidently telling us to judge the squad on 1st September again when it will be competitive? (presumably he meant competitive with Millwall?)

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I think that there will be an emphasis on doing early transfer business because of what happened last season and the feeling that it had such a bad impact on our performance. I suspect that the "if we drag it out a month we'll save £20K in wages" argument won't have as much sway when we've been that close to relegation and the related financial loss, and they'll want a good season to stop any on-going decline in attendance.

All that said, it takes two to sign the bit of paper. I think that the intention will be there from the Albion but don't know how that will translate in to signings. It would be nice though.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The issue for me is whether there will be many quality players who will wish to sign for the Albion given how poor we were last season. If you were a decent Championship striker would you really want to sign for Brighton given the boring defensive football that we play more often than not?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well at least we have a manager going into the summer this year, so perhaps that will make it slightly easier. We have to try and getr as much done as early as possible, but that will be easier said than done for players that are in demand.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I rather hope we will not risk the loss of the major targets by the same hard level of negotiation, but equally don't want to see us paying OTT for average players. Hard balance, but we got it wrong last summer and before that and let good players go who we easily could have had and the season would have been very different if we had got them.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The issue for me is whether there will be many quality players who will wish to sign for the Albion given how poor we were last season. If you were a decent Championship striker would you really want to sign for Brighton given the boring defensive football that we play more often than not?

For professionals I guess the issues are more to do with the stadium & training facilities , the manager, the location, ( will his wife like it here?) and of course the contract....
We had one poor season after 2 good ones. I think we are attractive

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here