Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jonathan Trott: England batsman retires from international cricket

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
England batsman Jonathan Trott has retired from international cricket.

The 34-year-old returned to the Test side for the tour of the West Indies, 18 months after leaving the Ashes tour with a stress-related illness, but managed only 72 runs in six innings.

"This was a tough decision but I don't feel my game is at the level needed to play for England," said Trott.

"I was honoured to come back and play international cricket again and I'm disappointed it didn't work out."

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hopefully the people that selected him will do the right thing as well.

Shame his career has been made to look much worse than it has been by his recent form. He was a top quality test batsman for the vast majority of his England career.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brave and correct decision by Trott, he deserves respect for that but it shows the selectors are making too many costly errors. We could have won this series by playing Lyth, Compton or Carberry. They certainly wouldn't have done any worse.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Credit to him for taking that decision out of the selectors hands. I wasn't his biggest fan when he left international cricket the first time round, especially when the "truth" came out that it wasn't as serious a situation as it had been made out in the press. I didn't want to see him back, and thought him a bit of a bottle job for deserting his post when he was needed the most. The funny thing is, I reckon the way the selectors have been over the past couple of years he would have been in the side against NZ, with them "expecting him to come good". Now we move on. I can already see what's going to happen - Moeen up to open with Cook, and James Taylor coming in at 6. Which might work, but I'd really like to see Lyth given a go. We need new blood in this team, it's what Australia did, and it's what the Windies are doing. Hopefully if the rumours are true about Strauss coming in, then we'll finally put the Pietersen thing to bed and start looking forward. We just need to bin Moores off first, which I'd like to think will happen before the NZ tests. Probably won't though....

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Right decision, should have brought Pieterson back instead !! Strauss getting the gig must really have pissed KP off, must be wandering why he bothered giving up those 20/20 riches !!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
aHopefully if the rumours are true about Strauss coming in, then we'll finally put the Pietersen thing to bed and start looking forward.

Isn't that what they said when they binned our leading run scorer a year ago?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Isn't that what they said when they binned our leading run scorer a year ago?

True, but there is no way on god's earth that Strauss will let "Figjam" anywhere near the side, out of personal reasons if nothing else.

Only problem is that Strauss is part of the "old boys" club, loves Cook, and the core of this side is still the side that he captained. Change will come from him, but it'll be at a slower pace than if, say, Alec Stewart, got the job. We need a quantifiable leader in charge of the ECB however, and there is certainly no denying Strauss that pedigree.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
You can understand why he quit. His technique was completely gone. At the end he literally was walking towards the (quick) bowlers as they were releasing the ball (when in actuality you either want to be still or going back). The quickies from Down Under would have made mincemeat of him this summer. He did the right thing in falling on his own sword.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Good dignified solution as he was going to be dropped anyway. He was a great player for England, a shame about this last tour.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You can understand why he quit. His technique was completely gone. At the end he literally was walking towards the (quick) bowlers as they were releasing the ball (when in actuality you either want to be still or going back). The quickies from Down Under would have made mincemeat of him this summer. He did the right thing in falling on his own sword.

His footwork was all over the place in the last Ashes series at home. He was batting well out of his crease against the quicker bowlers, then. On the slower English wickets and against an Aussie attack that was misfiring, he just about got away with it. The Aussies knew he already had a problem and as soon as he got Down Under they exposed him.
When a cricketer loses it mentally, he is finished at the higher levels. Trott lost all confidence against the ' quicks ' and ultimately, his mind was in turmoil against them.
Inexplicable decision by the selectors to bring him back and perhaps just confirms the feeling that incompetence reigns.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here