Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lucas Effect. Green Voting-Both Nationally And Locally

Green Voter Intentions-National v Local

• Brighton Pavilion Constituent: Voting Lucas Nationally And Green Locally

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Brighton Pavilion Constituent: Voting Lucas Nationally And Split Vote Locally

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Brighton Pavilion Constituent: Voting Lucas Nationally BUT NOT Green Locally

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Other Local Constituent: Would Vote Lucas Nationally And Green Locally

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other Local Constituent: Would Vote Lucas Nationally And Split Vote Locally

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Other Local Constituent: Would Vote Lucas Nationally BUT NOT Green Locally

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Much debate has been had about the General Election and the local elections being held on the same day.

Some folk within the Labour Party are suggesting that a vote for Caroline Lucas could let in a Green led council again. Others are suggesting that the majority of voters are inclined to separate the two polls out, and see them as entirely different things.

Just to test this, I have placed a poll above for those who will be voting for Caroline Lucas in Brighton Pavilion, and for those, who live in Brighton & Hove, who would have voted for her had they been living in the Brighton Pavilion constituency.

The idea is to test these opposing viewpoints. The result should be interesting.

N.B If you are not voting for Caroline Lucas in Brighton Pavilion, or would not have voted for her had you lived there, please do not enter the poll, it will skew the results.

Also, 'Split Vote' means you will be voting for a Green candidate, or two, but not all your three votes will be Green.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Much debate has been had about the General Election and the local elections being held on the same day.

Some folk within the Labour Party are suggesting that a vote for Caroline Lucas could let in a Green led council again. Others are suggesting that the majority of voters are inclined to separate the two polls out, and see them as entirely different things.

Just to test this, I have placed a poll above for those who will be voting for Caroline Lucas in Brighton Pavilion, and for those, who live in Brighton & Hove, who would have voted for her had they been living in the Brighton Pavilion ward.

The idea is to test these opposing viewpoints. The result should be interesting.

N.B If you are not voting for Caroline Lucas in Brighton Pavilion, or would not have voted for her had you lived there, please do not enter the poll, it will skew the results.

That's because the local Labour Party is tribal, and treats the electorate as idiots. They're so tribal in fact that they're giving as much attention to Pavilion (where they've got little chance of winning, according to all available evidence) as they are to Kemptown (where it's really tight, with a variety of results predicted). It just so happens that winning the latter will be of enormous assistance in Labour forming a government (as it will result in not only one more Labour MP, but also one less Tory MP), whereas this doesn't apply to the former.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
That's because the local Labour Party is tribal, and treats the electorate as idiots. They're so tribal in fact that they're giving as much attention to Pavilion (where they've got little chance of winning, according to all available evidence) as they are to Kemptown (where it's really tight, with a variety of results predicted). It just so happens that winning the latter will be of enormous assistance in Labour forming a government (as it will result in not only one more Labour MP, but also one less Tory MP), whereas this doesn't apply to the former.

Just added the poll.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wonder if many voters in Kemp Town and Pavilion will be using the vote-swap websites to pair up with like minded individuals in the two constituencies ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hopefully nobody will vote for her or her party.

Look around the big posh houses in Preston Park, say Beaconsfield Villas or Havelock Road. it's wall-to-wall Greens with a smattering of Labour. Not a single Tory or UKIP poster to be seen anywhere, nor the fifth-placed Lib Dem party ha-ha. These are not student votes. These are smug DFL middle-class voters with big houses and big salaries and greenery outside their front doors who can't be bribed with a thruppence tax saving and/or a pledge to beat the shit out of immigrants. They're all right Jack.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Look around the big posh houses in Preston Park, say Beaconsfield Villas or Havelock Road. it's wall-to-wall Greens with a smattering of Labour. Not a single Tory or UKIP poster to be seen anywhere, nor the fifth-placed Lib Dem party ha-ha. These are not student votes. These are smug DFL middle-class voters with big houses and big salaries and greenery outside their front doors who can't be bribed with a thruppence tax saving and/or a pledge to beat the shit out of immigrants. They're all right Jack.

It appears that Preston Park is being ethnically cleansed , once the DFLs move in the native populous is soon priced out including potential Conservative supporters.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Hopefully nobody will vote for her or her party.

Not a very realistic hope is it, as she is the sitting MP.

Have you looked at there policies?
If so, why the comparison with Lord Sutch?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I class the Greens as a raving lunatic party with lunatic policies voted for by idealistic people with no true concept of life as it is now The good thing is that there isnt a Green candidate in Haywards Heath so doesnt affect me very much only when I visit Brighton.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I class the Greens as a raving lunatic party with lunatic policies voted for by idealistic people with no true concept of life as it is now The good thing is that there isnt a Green candidate in Haywards Heath so doesnt affect me very much only when I visit Brighton.

How does it affect you when you visit Brighton ?

Do you get this sudden urge to strip off and throw your arms around the nearest tall oak ? Have you found yourself involuntarily dancing in cycle lanes shouting explicits at passing motorists ? Do you find yourself sitting in Wetherspoons and creating a scene about the absence of Lentil bake on the 'Two for £7.99' menu ?

Still, knowing I have no concept of life, I think a little excursion to Mid-Sussex should open my eyes. All these years, and finally the light...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You're apparently as clueless about politics as you are about football.

I know far less about politics ,as I know a lot about football butt have a diverse opinion which many dont agree but that doesnt hinder my actual knowledge. As regards politics I dont know hardly anything but am still entitled to cast a vote even with very limited knowledge. What I do know is I have personally always been better off under a Tory government and hope that it continues.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The greatest indication of them being a lunatic party is the ridiculous 20mph speed limit on virtually all roads coming off of the A23.

The initiative that had 55% approval during the consultation period in 2012, and a lot of cross party support ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have you tried driving at that speed, it is very difficult and my wife is a naturally slow driver and she finds it difficult. I accept 100yds either side of a school but not all the road.

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
Hmmmm,
I suspect the Greens are, to some extent, ahead of their time:
http://usvsth3m.com/post/7-monster-raving-loony-party-policies-which-are-now-part-of-uk-law

Dog passports, pedestrianized city centres, voting at 18, commercial radio stations? Madness I tell you .MADNESS.

In reality the Greens have some of the highest level of approval from the voting public for many of their individual policies. But (for some good reasons) people do not yet see them as a potentially competent and coherent party of government. Caroline Lucas aside.

The Greens are certainly not a 'joke' party, that is a silly and arrogant thing to say. I hate UKIP, but still would not describe them as a 'joke'. I don't want to get drawn discussion on a football forum about macro-economics, but anyone who thinks that the relentless media/Conservative/UKIP/Labour message that there is 'no alternative' to savage cuts should have a read of the excellent recent Krugman article (it's in the Guardian, but hold your nose - it is well worth reading): http://www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2015/apr/29/the-austerity-delusion
You can disagree with Krugman's arguments (after all, economics is not a science - it's educated guesses about the future based on selected evidence from the past) but it is simply wrong to say there is no alternative (and respectable mainstream) viewpoint that supports the Green/SNP/Plaid economic approach.

But the Greens do carry a lot of baggage. And the next five years will be critical. If they can consolidate and build, bring through some properly credible candidates, iron out the 'wrinkles' in their policies and get a whole lot more professional and competent in their operations (all without the benefit of big money donors and in the face of unstinting opposition from media and big business) then we'll see.
They could also very well implode...but I'd definitely put my money on UKIP imploding first!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here