Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy Greaves

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Really good documentary on BT.

It made me think how the 1960s is the forgotten decade in English football. All because of that World Cup. Eight different First Division winners and a mix of FA Cup holders too.

Jimmy Greaves almost seems like a forgotten player had it not been for his TV career. I reckon if he had played in the knockout stages in 1966 he would have been held as the greatest post war striker.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
He must be getting on a bit, hope he gets better, but must be getting near the pointy end now.
One of the best players I have ever seen and he thought he could score with every touch.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He’s 80!

Getting to that age despite his alcoholism is a fantastic achievement but his goal records for England & Spurs are truly inspiring.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Really good documentary on BT.

It made me think how the 1960s is the forgotten decade in English football. All because of that World Cup. Eight different First Division winners and a mix of FA Cup holders too.

Jimmy Greaves almost seems like a forgotten player had it not been for his TV career. I reckon if he had played in the knockout stages in 1966 he would have been held as the greatest post war striker.

I Agree, I thought it was excellent the way he not only got through his own issues with alcohol but also helped other players with similar issues.

Saint & Greavsie was a must watch Sat lunchtimes alongside Match of the day and The Big Match.

I wish him well and hopes for a full recovery.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
My greatest football hero of all time. Was lucky enough to be there when he scored that famous goal against Man Utd in the mid-1960s and Spurs won 5-1.

My greatest hero, too, and I was there! Most memorable goal I've ever seen. Bobby Charlton's thunderbolt was pretty good, too. Shame about the away fixture: same result but to the other lot.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Agree 100% with Wolfie and others. He was a footballing genius and without any doubt the best goal scorer England has ever had. My footballing hero as a kid and when Wardy emerged he was the closest thing we ever had to Jimmy. BT documentary was a good watch. Clearly a major character too. Travesty never got to be part of the World Cup Final and far lesser players have been feted much more in terms of knighthoods etc.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I read his autobiography on a holiday about 12-13 years ago. Excellent read, you sort of felt he was sat next to you telling you his story.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As agreat a goalscorer as he undoubtably was, not a player who, for my money, would excel in the game today. Despite his plethora of goals he did little else, pretty much spent the game hovering around the penalty spot.

Managers expect far more from their stikers today, including the ability to defend, not something that was ever part of Greavsie's remit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here