Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale or Walton

One hot tub one ambition

Apr 28, 2015
Hove
Walton for me.
For a 19-year-old goalkeeper, he radiates confidence, and this seems to rub off onto the players... which in turn rubs off onto the fans.
He looks a great prospect; i hope we don't sell him...

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Stockdale is the best and most reliable keeper we have. I'm baffled as to why anyone would think Walton should be the no.1. If he'd had a year out on loan and had been terrific then it would be a debate. Until that happens Stockdale should remain first choice

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think people get carried away with the 'if you're good enough, your old enough' cliche. The youngsters that can jump into a full time first team regular are few and far between. The overwhelming majority of them need to be eased in over time, especially in the higher division.

It's too soon for Walton to be a full time number one. If we struggle again, regardless of how much is down to him, the negativity (both in terms of team morale, with infighting and finger pointing and from the fan base) could do more harm than good.

Fans get too carried away with rushing through any youngster who shows a bit of promise, expectation goes through the roof, and when that young player finds it difficult to find consistency they get written off (as seems to have happened with JFC).

Stockdale number 1, with Walton in the cup games, and hopefully with the chance for a handful of league games to continue developing. Or if we bring in that Finnish keeper, then loan Walton out to a lower division where he will be a first choice keeper gaining more experience.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Stockdale is number 1.

From what i've seen of Walton i've been very impressed though. I can certainly see him improving on his 4 appearances for us next season.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
From the Argus today - Albion plan loan move for keeper Walton

Albion are mounting a European-wide hunt for another goalkeeper so that Christian Walton can go out on loan next season.

The Seagulls want England under-20s prospect Walton to gain more first team experience and are seeking a challenger to current first choice David Stockdale.

Walton made his fourth appearance of the season in Saturday’s closing 0-0 draw at Middlesbrough.

Boss Chris Hughton is coy about Albion’s interest in Finnish international Niki Mäenpää but has revealed his plans for Walton.

Hughton told The Argus: “On anything we do the best way to do it is behind the scenes. The recruitment department are working as hard as they can.

“It will be no surprise to anybody that we want to bring in a keeper, because we want Christian to go out on loan, but there will be numerous names we’ll think about, consider and see if we have an opportunity.”

Walton’s clean sheet at Middlesbrough came in his first game under Hughton after three appearances earlier in the season, when Stockdale was injured and Sami Hyypia was in charge.

Hughton said: “He’s a young, talented keeper and he is one we think has a bright future here. He has got to get a little bit more experience under his belt.

“This season has been a great experience on the bench week in, week out, but he needs to be playing.

“It’s difficult for young keepers. You have got to get that balance being around the first team, which has been great for his education, and being between the sticks in meaningful games.”

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Sensible to loan him out for a year somewhere if he is going to get a full season as a 1st choice keeper. See how that goes and then bring him back as our number 1 if all is well.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I support the notion that we loan Walton out if he can get 35-40+ games in a league 1 side minimum next season, but we also need to sign someone (as suggested in that argus article) who can really put pressure on Stockdale's position as number 1 as he has quite simply not been good enough in several games this past season. Unless we find someone out of contract/cheap (in terms of transfer fee) though I think it's a waste as there is much more pressing investment needed in other areas of the pitch.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Exactly what i was going to suggest should happen, good to see the club are going to try and make it happen. Anyone suggesting selling Walton is an idiot, he's possibly our best long term prospect at the moment. A loan move to a league 1 side would be perfect for him but we'd need some assurances that he's going to be first choice and he gets games under his belt and some much needed experience. Signing a keeper that can really put pressure on Stockdale for the starting spot is also needed, competition for places is always a good thing.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Walton for me.
For a 19-year-old goalkeeper, he radiates confidence, and this seems to rub off onto the players... which in turn rubs off onto the fans.
He looks a great prospect; i hope we don't sell him...

I agree; and what puzzles me is why Hughton feels he needs to go out on loan next season to "gain experience". Based on what we have seen to date, he looks well up to the job.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Lets start the speculation and ridiculous suggestions on who we should sign to enable Walton to go out on loan.

I'll start with Paul Robinson, played at the highest level for a long time. Has already said he is leaving Blackburn at the end of his contact so will be available on a free. Isn't happy as he isn't even 3rd choice at Blackburn. Wages might be an issue but if he wants to carry on playing he will know that he'll not be able to demand top wages anymore. Still only 35 though so not old for a keeper at all. I think he'd be a decent signing.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Stockdale is an excellent goalkeeper.

MOTD and The Football League Show are littered with goalkeeping errors every week. The way people talk on here you would think Stockdale is the only keeper in the world who needs to never make a mistake to validate his position. Certainly the people who love to remember an infallible Kusczcak only need to watch the telly to see goals regularly going into Wolves net that "should have been saved" (including both of Millwall's on Saturday).

Finally, while I'm on. Anyone who, like me, finds it hard to understand why modern day goalkeepers are programmed to punch rather than catch the ball, should just watch the goal Sunderland conceded on Saturday. This programming to punch occasionally/frequently leads to an "error" whereby we in the crowd can see clearly the ball should have been caught - but the method is justified and professionally endorsed.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Walton should be given the chance to push for the number one spot for us. whats the point in youth coming through if we just going to loan them out. I want a player who wants to prove he wants to play for us not a loan player who wants a quick fix.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Walton should be given the chance to push for the number one spot for us. whats the point in youth coming through if we just going to loan them out. I want a player who wants to prove he wants to play for us not a loan player who wants a quick fix.

We won't be getting a loan player, but another keeper whilst Walton is getting experience. Casper will hopefully sign for another 12 months as 3rd choice to give us cover.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

I do partly agree with you but when you look at players like Joe Hart and Butland they had a full season in the lower leagues before they were competing for places. If Walton makes a couple of mistakes it might be detrimental to his confidence and would probably be replaced by Stockdale, he has only played a handful of competitive first team games. If we can get some gurantees about him getting regular gametime he could return in a season's time as our number 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here