Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this lack of goals a record

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Wallowing in my despair at the lack of entertainment at The Amex, I was wondering if this goal less run of our sets a new record.
By my reckoning we have played 9 matches, that is 13 hours 30 minutes and only scored 1 goal, Dale Stephens v Wigan.
I know we won at Blackburn, but that was an own goal so technically we have only scored 1 goal in 9 matches.
Does this set a new record ?
I have been watching Brighton since 1957 and I cannot recall such a barren run. ???

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Wallowing in my despair at the lack of entertainment at The Amex, I was wondering if this goal less run of our sets a new record.
By my reckoning we have played 9 matches, that is 13 hours 30 minutes and only scored 1 goal, Dale Stephens v Wigan.
I know we won at Blackburn, but that was an own goal so technically we have only scored 1 goal in 9 matches.
I have been watching Brighton since 1957 and I cannot recall such a barren run. ???

I was born in 1956 so you must be 108 :lol:

D

Deleted member 2719

Not sure regarding record run.
The value for money during these games has defintely been the worse since 1973 IMO.

The boredometer has blown to bits.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I know it isn't us but least we don't have a record like Chelsea's from 1980-81. In their first 20 games they scored 38 goals and only failed to score in one match. In their last 22 games they scored 8 goals in 3 games and failed to score in the other 19 which included runs of 7 and 9 games without a goal.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
72-73 wasn't so good:

0-3, 0-1, 0-4, 0-2, 0-1, 1-5 (pen), 1-2, 0-3, 1-2 (pen), 0-4, 0-2, 1-3 (OG), 1-5

13 consecutive defeats with 2 goals from play, 2 penalties and own goal.

Off field play was good though. Change in the directors. 37 conceded in 13 games.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Let's hope the club mis management now takes notice that the priority for the club - any professional club - should be to provide a modicum of entertainment and not to take the faithful spectators for granted. It has been a desperate season - not just for results - but in constantly decreased expectations. To attend the final few games not only expecting defeats but also goal less draws or defeats tests the patience of most. I'm still mildly thrilled by the stadium - and the apparently marvellous training ground - but I cannot understand the failure to invest in proper players. The club need to stop focusing on corporate claptrap - expensive food and drink - and overstating feeble attendances and get it right with decent players. No more Best, Agustien, Ledesma, Halford, McCourt and other associated misfits. Admirable loyalty from Bloom and Barber in publicly supporting Burke abd Hyppia way beyond their sell by date, but actually bonkers and a season of waste.

If we're going to lose reguarly I'd rather do it attacking than by boring ourselves to death.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
League matches only

Failing to score (home & away) - 6 matches
22.04.1922 to 02.09.1922
08.11.1924 to 20.12.1924
23.09.1970 to 16.10.1970

Failing to score at home - 4 matches
13.04.2002 to 26.08.2002
03.04.2015 to 25.04.2015

Failing to score away - 7 matches
01.12.1934 to 16.02.1935
10.11.1956 to 26.01.1957

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
72-73 wasn't so good:

0-3, 0-1, 0-4, 0-2, 0-1, 1-5 (pen), 1-2, 0-3, 1-2 (pen), 0-4, 0-2, 1-3 (OG), 1-5

Off field play was good though. Change in the directors. 37 conceded in 13 games.

Thanks Perseus, I'd forgotten that miserable run. It was pretty bleak as we were conceding lots of goals as well as scoring very few.
Wasn't the infamous cup match v Chelsea in the middle of that run where they ended up with 2 players sent off, and innumerable skirmishes both on and off the pitch ?

Yoda

English & European
In England, the league's longest non-scoring record is shared by two clubs. Coventry City went eleven Div 2 games without scoring in season 1919-20, and Hartlepool also had a run of eleven blanks in Div 2 1992-3. Counting an FA Cup tie and a match in the Autoscreen trophy, Hartlepool's run stretched to 13 games without scoring.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
72-73 wasn't so good:

Bleak times and we sunk to the bottom, often tried hard but were out of our league.

This year was seems worse, we were not bottom but were unable to beat, or even score, against teams that everybody else was beating.

But we do have nice bright orange away strip,the pies are good,the hotel is going to fantabulous,what the **** are you moaning about?

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Bleak times and we sunk to the bottom, often tried hard but were out of our league.

This year was seems worse, we were not bottom but were unable to beat, or even score, against teams that everybody else was beating.

I Disagree completely. That season was the benchmark of awfulness. I think about it when various drama kings and queens on this site mutter about tearing up their season tickets because this is the worst Albion team ever etc etc.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Well Ken, maybe I didn't explain myself. That certainly was the worse with those 13 defeats on the trot but it's a bit like some of those teams that go into the Prem now who sort of expect to take a few thrashings and just hope to survive. Going into the season, our 71/72 promotion winners had high hopes but the team broke up too soon. We did make a fight of it later on and were not too far away come the end.

To me, I feel more let down this time. There were a number of winable games yet we just seemed to set out not to lose. Personally, I didn't see the desire to win in many of our games but we did try hard to save the 72/73 season.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
On a similar vein, have we ever had so few League goals scored by strikers: 7 (Baldock 3, Bent 2, CMS1, COG 1)?

With those figures it's hard to believe we stayed up. Thankful there were some woeful sides in the Championship this season. I seem to remember Peterborough getting relegated on 56 points two seasons ago.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Well Ken, maybe I didn't explain myself. That certainly was the worse with those 13 defeats on the trot but it's a bit like some of those teams that go into the Prem now who sort of expect to take a few thrashings and just hope to survive. Going into the season, our 71/72 promotion winners had high hopes but the team broke up too soon. We did make a fight of it later on and were not too far away come the end.

To me, I feel more let down this time. There were a number of winable games yet we just seemed to set out not to lose. Personally, I didn't see the desire to win in many of our games but we did try hard to save the 72/73 season.

I went to Orient on that run! Splendid disallowed goal.

I am not despondent now, because I didn't get excited before. I don't even detect despondency at the Amex. Disappointment, yes.

I thought Derby fans were overenthusiastic. I didn't think they were that good.

I thought we would struggle when GP left so OG did very well.

A few worrying deficiencies for next season. We have never had the spine of the side in the last few seasons. Defensive midfielder (Kayal is good). Always seemed a bunch of talented misfits.

I though Arsenal were fantastic and that game was excellent. Arsenal eventually could not keep up the pace with our midfield.

Special compliments to Bruno all season. I felt very comfortable that the opposing winger would not get past him in meaningful way. Ozil didn't try and Antonio had to cross (once he managed it) very quickly not accurately.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Slightly off topic but your username brought back some memories, Fratsom Rovers were a good Sunday League team back in the 70/80's, but I am not sure which team I was with at the time we played you, as I changed from Prince George Athletic to Hollingbury United around that time.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU

Agree with this. The 72/3 team were 3rd division players out of their depth. It was awful but I never felt the team could be criticised for lack of effort.

The season just gone was different. I cannot relate to most of this team and the style of football from March onwards was just dire.

Of course as fans we move on and next season HAS to be more entertaining - doesn't it?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here