Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Middlebrough (a)

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Walton 8 – enormously impressive: confident, good positioning and distribution, some excellent saves

Halford 6 – solid enough, unspectacular. His Rory Delap-Lite will not be greatly missed.

Greer 6 – sound enough, even headed the ball once. The occasional Greer pass, but mostly Gordon.

Dunk 7 – covered his ground very well, with some good interceptions.

Bennett 6 – solid, less adventurous than usual

Ince 9 – immense, MoM. Excellent vision and neat passing. One trademark, telescopic-legs pickpocket’s tackle left everyone disbelieving what they’d just seen. So good that Boro immediately replayed it on the big screen.

Kayal 8 - a class act, above almost everyone else on the pitch

Stephens 6 - so frustrating, yet again. Tries hard, gets into good positions but so careless: horribly misplaced passes and feeble or scuffed shots

Lua Lua 6 – that confident swagger seemingly so diminished now. A few good touches and sharp crosses, shooting horrendous

JFC 7 - thankfully, a little more visible and imaginative in this more offensive role. Some good touches and nearly set up a goal

COG 6 - not his best, but nor his worst performance. Near misses, should have scored early on, worked hard. Made such an impression on his teammates that they were still lumping the ball up to him long after he he'd left the pitch.

Subs:

Calde 7; pleasingly sprightly, played as if it mattered. Some good creative work and almost set up a goal

Tilley 4 – had plenty of time to score a goal. Maheta Molango managed it in 12 seconds at Reading. Clearly useless. Get rid.

CMS 6 – With everyone desperate for him to sign off in style, he scampered away joyously late on into a classic CMS spaniel-and-ball incident near the touchline. Regrettably, the ball won as, bath soap-slippery, it squirmed from his foot to roll harmlessly out of play.

But, that Colgate smile of his will live long in the memory.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I was pretty impressed with Walton: he's clearly growing in confidence and collected a number of crosses (though to the defence's credit, they protected him well from attacking threats when the ball was humped into the box). A few fairly standard saves, plus one or two very good ones.

Dunk had his best game in a while (I know that's not saying much, but he's restored my faith a little, after some shocking errors), Greer was pretty solid too. Halford didn't do a lot wrong, but he'd lose a mark if I was giving them out just for his George McFly (or Hitler) hairstyle that flaps around when he runs. Bennett actually defended quite well, which makes a change.

Kayal and Ince were both very effective, and nullified Boro's midfield. Stephens ranged from sublime to ridiculous, and has a shocking habit of doing several good things, and then playing a simple pass straight to an opponent in a dangerous area. JFC was alright in the first half- an improvement on other performances- and faded a bit in the second. LuaLua seems to have forgotten how to run past a defender, and O'Grady held the ball up manfully but rarely looked like he was going to either score or set one up. In fact, scratch that, he did have an excellent chance towards the end, but screwed it over the bar.

I thought it wasn't too bad in all honesty, compared to some recent showings. At least they showed a bit of heart, which we haven't seen much of at times this season. The defence were throwing themselves in front of the ball to block it, and restricted a decent side to one good opportunity. I'm glad they didn't bow out on a spanking. It leaves me with a microscopically small residual bit of hope for August :)

Slim Boy Fat

Dec 30, 2013
Well, rather foolishly I thought some while ago that this game could be a humdinger, us potentially hanging on, and them going up. But it was neither of those, but we had fun anyway. Got in early, parked for free, took a trip on the transporter bridge, how much fun can you have early morning in Middlesbrough.

Walton 6 – Looked OK, did nothing wrong.
Halford 6 – Out of position at right back. We need to play a right winger, which Halford isn't.
Greer 5 – A couple of good headed clearances, but what distribution.
Dunk 7 – Good game.
Bennett 6 – Got up the wing and didn't look bad defending
Ince 8 – Some of his tackling is sublime. Love the guy.
Kayal 8 - Best player on view IMO
Stephens 6 - Loses the ball too often for me and yet he looks so good when he has it
LuaLua 6 – What happened to this guy, he used to be so good.
Caskey 6 - played OK, good to see him back.
O'Grady 6 - should have scored; too slow for me.

Subs:

Calde 6
CMS 6

Brighton fans 10

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Strange those ratings because the radio team was banging on how good Halford was and that he was easily our best player.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Well, rather foolishly I thought some while ago that this game could be a humdinger, us potentially hanging on, and them going up. But it was neither of those, but we had fun anyway. Got in early, parked for free, took a trip on the transporter bridge, how much fun can you have early morning in Middlesbrough.

Walton 6 – Looked OK, did nothing wrong.
Halford 6 – Out of position at right back. We need to play a right winger, which Halford isn't.
Greer 5 – A couple of good headed clearances, but what distribution.
Dunk 7 – Good game.
Bennett 6 – Got up the wing and didn't look bad defending
Ince 8 – Some of his tackling is sublime. Love the guy.
Kayal 8 - Best player on view IMO
Stephens 6 - Loses the ball too often for me and yet he looks so good when he has it
LuaLua 6 – What happened to this guy, he used to be so good.
Caskey 6 - played OK, good to see him back.
O'Grady 6 - should have scored; too slow for me.

Subs:

Calde 6
CMS 6

Brighton fans 10

You do know Halford spent most of his career at right back? He wasn't out of position as you seem to think..

Slim Boy Fat

Dec 30, 2013
You do know Halford spent most of his career at right back? He wasn't out of position as you seem to think..

There was nothing wrong with his defending. My point was that he was quite often expected to get high up the right wing, which he cannot do. Oh to have a Buckley.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here