Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walton

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
1 goal conceded, 3 games, two against teams in the top 10. Give him games or he'll be off ???

One of those games was against an utterly dire Wigan side (let's not forget our goal in that game came from Gary Gardner) and the other clean sheet today was against a side with nothing to play for (realistically). I don't want to do him down, I think he's a great prospect but I knew this thread would crop up. Stockdale has been in great form for the second half of the season so I see no reason to drop him next season.

Knee jerk reactions as always.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Oh and another thing, where exactly will he be off to? To sit in the reserves of a premier league side perhaps?

Time is on his side, he's 19 years old and his best chance of getting first team football any time soon would be to stay with the Albion. If he impresses here he'll get his big move eventually.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
One of those games was against an utterly dire Wigan side (let's not forget our goal in that game came from Gary Gardner) and the other clean sheet today was against a side with nothing to play for (realistically). I don't want to do him down, I think he's a great prospect but I knew this thread would crop up. Stockdale has been in great form for the second half of the season so I see no reason to drop him next season.

The 'utterly dire' Wigan side who we conceded two against a couple of weeks ago? Find it baffling how Hyypia dropped Walton after making zero mistakes, if you're good enough you're old enough. If you're naive enough to think he'll happily warm the bench for a struggling Championship side then fair enough.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The 'utterly dire' Wigan side who we conceded two against a couple of weeks ago? Find it baffling how Hyypia dropped Walton after making zero mistakes, if you're good enough you're old enough. If you're naive enough to think he'll happily warm the bench for a struggling Championship side then fair enough.

I think the championship table will tell you that they were dire. We stayed up, they went down. We just happened to be a bit worse the other week.

Naive? Who will play him then? I'm waiting to hear this list of clubs who are queueing up to install him as their #1. I think most keepers at this age would be very happy with warming the bench for a struggling championship side.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Although, in fairness, he did make a brilliant second half save today.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I think the championship table will tell you that they were dire. We stayed up, they went down. We just happened to be a bit worse the other week.

Naive? Who will play him then? I'm waiting to hear this list of clubs who are queueing up to install him as their #1. I think most keepers at this age would be very happy with warming the bench for a struggling championship side.

I think he was linked with Arsenal last season and if you are not getting in the first team, I know which club and salary I would rather be signed with and waiting my chance.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Although, in fairness, he did make a brilliant second half save today.

True, and I have never doubted that he will be a great player in the future.

Stockdale though has been making fantastic saves all season. These have been happily ignored by the anti-Stockdale brigade.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I don't think Keepers as a rule are judged by the good saves, as that is their job, they are more judged on the amount of howlers and Stockdale has had a few of them this season.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I don't think Keepers as a rule are judged by the good saves, as that is their job, they are more judged on the amount of howlers and Stockdale has had a few of them this season.

Unbelievable :lol: Strikers aren't judged on goals then?

Sure Stockdale has dropped some clangers this season, but the majority of these were in the first half of the season and over the course of the campaign some have been unfairly ascribed to him by those who made up their minds in September.

When he's got some confidence in him, Stockdale is one of the best keepers in the championship.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Unbelievable :lol: Strikers aren't judged on goals then?

Sure Stockdale has dropped some clangers this season, but the majority of these were in the first half of the season and over the course of the campaign some have been unfairly ascribed to him by those who made up their minds in September.

When he's got some confidence in him, Stockdale is one of the best keepers in the championship.

In your opinion.

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
True, and I have never doubted that he will be a great player in the future.

Stockdale though has been making fantastic saves all season. These have been happily ignored by the anti-Stockdale brigade.

He's a liability and has made more mistakes than good saves.Stockdale would have made a howler today to finish his season off just how he started it with, yes, a howler.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

Were you at the Wigan game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here