Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace's (lowly Category Two) academy broadens catchment area to Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Eagles have increased funding for the academy and cast their net wider in the search for the most talented young players.

“We restructured it at the start of this season and the chairman supported that”, said Academy boss Gary Issott. “We are spending three times as much as we were previously because we’ve got to find better players, but we’re focussing still on London.

“It’s got 8 million people. The Republic of Ireland has five or six million but London is the biggest area to recruit from. We focus strongly on London but we’re also looking at the south, around the Brighton area, Sussex, Surrey.”

Source: http://fiveyearplanfanzine.co.uk/ne...fter-restructuring-and-increased-funding.html

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Does their catchment area include all of the traveller camps or just some of them ?

Mentioning Brighton is clearly a deliberate wind-up.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
They have always been looking down this way (or they were a few years back). A lot of kids had trials with both us and them before deciding

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Haven't you opened a couple of centres of excellence near us ?
Biggin Hill and Warlingham ?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
As our academy is better than theirs, I think we could poach players from them if we wanted but they're not allowed to take players from us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don't see a problem, as [MENTION=25756]Se20[/MENTION] mentioned, we do the same in London, so what?

As a young player, unless you're blinded by premier league football and short term gain, I know where I'd go if I had to choose based on facilities.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
At least, thanks to our Cat 1 status, Albion's u18s and the u21s currently play in two leagues where there's still quite a gap between us and our friends up the way...:)

The Eagles have increased funding for the academy and cast their net wider in the search for the most talented young players.

“We restructured it at the start of this season and the chairman supported that”, said Academy boss Gary Issott. “We are spending three times as much as we were previously because we’ve got to find better players, but we’re focussing still on London.

“It’s got 8 million people. The Republic of Ireland has five or six million but London is the biggest area to recruit from. We focus strongly on London but we’re also looking at the south, around the Brighton area, Sussex, Surrey.”

Source: http://fiveyearplanfanzine.co.uk/ne...fter-restructuring-and-increased-funding.html
I suppose it saves us giving our best,young talent to Bournemouth for **** all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How are they pitching the prospect of playing for palace to Sussex kids:-

'Play for palace - you won't get booed by your own fans'.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
As our academy is better than theirs, I think we could poach players from them if we wanted but they're not allowed to take players from us.

Yes pretty certain that's one of the overriding factors in us wanting to get category one status as we can argue that their development will be better served by being with us rather than a category two and that for developing the talent that far we only have to pay a nominal sum? (Otherwise what was the point in achieving the much coveted category one?)

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Their record in producing players though to the first team is way ahead of ours but hopefully our centre of excellence(whatever its called) should even things up in the next few years

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Does their catchment area include all of the traveller camps or just some of them ?

Mentioning Brighton is clearly a deliberate wind-up.

I thought that too. Nothing better than stealing a youngster from under the noses of your rivals.

Classless Palace? Surely not.. Don't give a shit what div they're currently in, our club is so much better :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here