Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gardening suggestions required: what should I PLANT?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Green-fingered NSCers: the back garden at Harveys Towers is modest but there's a small patch of ground on which I'd like to grow something. It gets a decent amount of sunlight.

But, as you can tell from the moronic simplicity of this question, I have whatever the opposite of green fingers might be (brown? yellow?) - I am truly Terry F88Kwit in the garden department. Clueless beyond words.

So, great NSC public, what should I plant? Where to begin? What is most likely to survive in a small patch of earth in this locale? Herbs? Flowers? Carrots? Am I already too late for this year? Thanks.:hilton:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I got into Gardening a few years back - Never thought it would happen but it did.

It depends on what you want to do.

Something like a / Phormium could be planted, looks nice, will grow slowish to a decent size and requires next to no maintenance other than a bit of water if it is Ice cream weather. Herbs fall in the same bracket but have practical value.

Flowers need more maintenance and will generally die after a season. It's more expensive and they need a bit more care.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
perennial Geraniums, cheap, come up every year, ground cover, different colours, beautiful plants you can hack down in the fall and they pop back up in the Spring

There's a single red tulip in my front garden that has reappeared every year since the 1970s. It is totally neglected and the patch of earth where it grows has been on the receiving end of mowers, strimmers, forks, spades and boots, without any consideration for the tulip's wellbeing.

So ... I recommend tulips. Unfortunately, this is the wrong time of year to plant bulbs. Best thing is therefore ... do NOTHING until much later in the year.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There is nothing better than a neatly trimmed bush.

So depending upon the size of the area get a few, preferably ones that will give you colour all year round. Hebe, Spiraea, Philadelphus, Lavender, Jasmine, Choisya, Buddleia, Abelia etc etc.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
First important bit you have answered, plenty of sun. Does the spot get plenty of water too, and is it a windy spot?

Secondly, would YOU prefer vegetables, flowers or foliage?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Any chance of a photo or two of the site, with measurements? Can then give you some suggestions.

I'll have a go later - thanks.

And thanks everyone for some really great suggestions already. Much appreciated.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
perennial Geraniums, cheap, come up every year, ground cover, different colours, beautiful plants you can hack down in the fall and they pop back up in the Spring

Yup. Native hardy perennials. Grow every year. Attract insects which attract birds.

Also plant shrubs that provide early blossom and berries. Holly, cotoneaster, snowberry (which is actually Canadian), ivy, clematis, honeysuckle, buddliea, crab apple, raspberries, elderflower, Hawthorne.

Just ask the guys at the garden centre, they'll help with the right plants for the right time of year in the right location and soil.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Grass...easy to manage...great to sit on enjoy sunshine and your favourite beverage...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Based on years of personal experience, I would have to recommend planting weeds. That way you'll never be disappointed (and some of them are actually quite pretty).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Pippa Middleton, if you get the chance.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Radishes are easy. A month in the ground then you have loads of radishes for salads etc. Keep really well in the fridge.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here