Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Greer: Dunk should have been POTS

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This has annoyed me a bit this morning.

Greer told The Argus: “If you asked me who was player of the year, no disrespect to Inigo Calderon, but I would have chosen Lewis Dunk because he started the season unbelievably and plus he’s still the top scorer in the team.

“When you look around the country, the top scorers always get player of the year. He’s done great and it’s an achievement on its own to be top scorer as a centre-back.”

Source: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/129...een_Albion_s_player_of_the_season/?ref=twtrec

It shows a lack of understanding of the Albion fanbase and just why Calde was voted as Player of the Season, and so comprehensively too.

Besides, if we're trumpeting Dunk for his goalscoring exploits, I note he's only scored twice in his last 29 games which is, quite frankly, rubbish.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It also adds some support to the feeling some fans have that Greer and Calde don't seem to get on. There have been times on the pitch when Greer doesn't seem to want to pass to Inigo.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Greer told The Argus: “If you asked me who was player of the year, no disrespect to Inigo Calderon, but I would have chosen Lewis Dunk because he started the season unbelievably and plus he’s still the top scorer in the team.

“When you look around the country, the top scorers always get player of the year. He’s done great and it’s an achievement on its own to be top scorer as a centre-back.”

Source: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/129...een_Albion_s_player_of_the_season/?ref=twtrec

It shows a lack of understanding of the Albion fanbase and just why Calde was voted as Player of the Season, and so comprehensively too.

Besides, if we're trumpeting Dunk for his goalscoring exploits, I note he's only scored twice in his last 29 games which is, quite frankly, rubbish.

No need to be annoyed at all. I think you are confusing the Argus' headline "Dunk SHOULD have been player of the season", with Greer's actual quote, which was that "If you asked me who was player of the year, no disrespect to Inigo Calderon, but I would have chosen Lewis Dunk"

He's entitled to his opinion as is everyone else.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I agree with Greer, my player of the season was Lewis Dunk. Didn't Inigo also acknowledge in his acceptance speech that he was surprised to win as he thought Dunk would? Inigo is the fans favourite, not the player of the season.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

I agree with Greer Dunk is our Player of the season our best player by a country mile,and not just because he scored more goals than our joke of a record signing, yes Calde has a great personality a lovely smile and great teeth but player of the season he is definitely not.Grow up Bozza

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It also adds some support to the feeling some fans have that Greer and Calde don't seem to get on. There have been times on the pitch when Greer doesn't seem to want to pass to Inigo.

That's a lesson in the art of understatement right there! It was a running joke for about two years around us (last at Withdean and first at Amex) that Greer would always pass anywhere than to Calderon, with the exception of those times when he'd blast an uncontrollable ball at him and the shout at him for not Zidane-ing the ball under control.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There is nothing more patronising than prefacing something with 'No disrespect' .An example could be :

No disrespect, Gordon, but I think the Albion have been utter shite this season.

It's the new 'I'm not racist but.....

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Too be fair you'd struggle to give any of them the title player of the season! Calderon got it because he is the most popular with fans! :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with Greer too. Dunk should have won it easily. No idea why he didn't - local lad, top scorer, best defender, highly thought of. Baffling

It's because we've had a truly gash season. The Albion support have collectively thrown their hands up in the air as said "Player of the season? You're all twàts and have let us down. At least Calde tweets a bit and does work for charidee"

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

That seems to be pretty much ALL the time, from where I'm sitting?

Stumpy Tim

Indeed, although even his form fell away in the last quarter of the season. God knows where we'd have been without him before the end of Jan!

If his form had been worse in the first quarter, and he'd finished strongly he would have won. But last time I looked it was Player of the SEASON, not Player of the Last 12 games

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
If a team mate of mine said something like this I would not be impressed.....
Not only has Greer got Calderon's back up but the fans who made the decision.
Has he received some bad news from Chris this week so is not fussed who he upsets ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here