Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snowdon

The wife has decided that some time this summer we are going to go to Wales and climb/walk Snowdon.

Now, I am approaching 50, I am seriously unfit, I smoke WAY too much and drink heavily at any given opportunity.
I am overweight by nearly 2 stone (according to my Doctor) and regularly suffer Gout Attacks.

Anyway, has anyone here done it, was it easy and most pressing, am I going to die.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Go up on the train.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The wife has decided that some time this summer we are going to go to Wales and climb/walk Snowdon.

Now, I am approaching 50, I am seriously unfit, I smoke WAY too much and drink heavily at any given opportunity.
I am overweight by nearly 2 stone (according to my Doctor) and regularly suffer Gout Attacks.

Anyway, has anyone here done it, was it easy and most pressing, am I going to die.

Maybe she wants to get rid of you via natural causes. It would save the cost of hiring a hit man and less risky than poisoning :lolol:

I presume she has you well insured?

Go up on the train.

..And down again - remember that a single is only slightly more than the return.

Did the train trip around 15 years ago. Fine weather going up, weather changed for the worse going down. It was apparent that many leisure walkers,including kids in back carriers etc, had been caught out judging by the number in light clothing, so be prepared if you do walk.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Maybe she wants to get rid of you via natural causes. It would save the cost of hiring a hit man and less risky than poisoning :lolol:

I presume she has you well insured?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
cut out the fags. your body will thank you. and your family/friends.
Ditto, re the booze. Or at least, go easy..

You will also save a bundle.

Try some short walks, around the block to start. then gradually increase distances.

Not sure why but that made me laugh, the walking round the block bit to prepare :) ...................

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I'm partial to the odd oily rag and like my beer. Without being too melodramatic - my other half and I got into serious trouble on Snowdon over Easter a few weeks back. We weren't ill equipped (so we thought) - walking boots, waterproofs etc. and the forecast had just said rain later in the afternoon so we set out on a nice sunny day up the Watkin Path, but got badly caught out approaching the summit when gale force winds and a blizzard came in almost out of nowhere reducing visibility to almost nothing and you didn't want to walk more than ten feet in either direction for fear you'd walk straight over the edge. Very scary and sobering experience. Took us hours to get back down, some of it literally on our hands and backsides for fear of going over the edge in zero visibility and once we'd got below the line of the blizzard we were faced with torrential rain and continually battered by gale force winds all the way down. Truly horrible experience. That said, have done the knife edge ridge before on no sleep and a stinking hangover and the weather was kind. Kit up well, check the weather forecast and don't underestimate the mountain.

I'm partial to the odd oily rag and like my beer. Without being too melodramatic - my other half and I got into serious trouble on Snowdon over Easter a few weeks back. We weren't ill equipped (so we thought) - walking boots, waterproofs etc. and the forecast had just said rain later in the afternoon so we set out on a nice sunny day up the Watkin Path, but got badly caught out approaching the summit when gale force winds and a blizzard came in almost out of nowhere reducing visibility to almost nothing and you didn't want to walk more than ten feet in either direction for fear you'd walk straight over the edge. Very scary and sobering experience. Took us hours to get back down, some of it literally on our hands and backsides for fear of going over the edge in zero visibility and once we'd got below the line of the blizzard we were faced with torrential rain and continually battered by gale force winds all the way down. Truly horrible experience. That said, have done the knife edge ridge before on no sleep and a stinking hangover and the weather was kind. Kit up well, check the weather forecast and don't underestimate the mountain.

But did you die?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
and regularly suffer Gout Attacks.

Which I've just been diagnosed with ..... f**king hurts !!!!!! As others have said, catch the train - climbing up if you have gout would not be good.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

That will be nice.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I have been up and down a few times over the years, If it's your first decent walk for a while then I'd get the train up and walk back down. Nice and easy.

As Botty says the weather can change for the worse very quickly up there, even in the summer so be prepared. The views are stunning on a nice day though, enjoy.

Don't try crib goch just yet. http://www.walkupsnowdon.co.uk/2011/09/03/crib-goch/

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here