Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will the blind optimism for next season start?

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Depressing on here at the moment. But I am sure most of us are already looking to next season. And I can feel the optimism stirring. Pretty soon it will feel like a new season in Football Manager - where anything is possible.

For me I am just waiting for a message from Tony or Barber telling us that it will all be ok and there will be a good budget etc.

So when will you forget about this year and be hopelessly optimistic again?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Already started.

No need to wait for the early pre-season friendly vs Middlesbrough.

The new optimism will indeed be somewhat blind, though, until the transfer window shuts, and we know exactly where we are.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Started when we published the retained list for next season. We have already moved on from this dungheap of a season.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Unless we sign 5-7 players of good or exceptional quality, I'll see no reason to be optimistic about next season.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Already started in one respect I believe, the levels of capital player expenditure will be nowhere near the levels intimated in other threads.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Champions, FA Cup Winners, League Cup Winners, Sussex Senior Cup Winners. I expect the same of the women's team!

Now, if we can just secure Leon Best's signature...

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Depressing on here at the moment. But I am sure most of us are already looking to next season. And I can feel the optimism stirring. Pretty soon it will feel like a new season in Football Manager - where anything is possible.

For me I am just waiting for a message from Tony or Barber telling us that it will all be ok and there will be a good budget etc.

So when will you forget about this year and be hopelessly optimistic again?

You mean the message that we will have a competitive squad in place by 31 August and will be aiming for a top six finish?

Heard that corporate bullshit last summer; I won't fall for it again.

My pessimism about this summer is not simply that we - by which I mean TB! - will not be able (or willing) to spend the money needed to attract the number of quality signings that our ageing and mediocre squad urgently needs, but that we are not the attractive option for good players that we were when we first moved to the Amex - and Poyet could charm players into signing for us.

I really want to believe that next season will see us in the top 10, playing attractive football, and with strikers who can actually score, but I really can't see how it's going to happen. How are we going to be able to afford, and attract, quality players who presumably will have plenty of other attractive offers.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For me the optimism that we'll do reasonably well next season has already begun. We've got a decent manager in place so we're not going to have the shambolic window and the farcical start to the season that we had last year. Optimism is a fragile thing though. It will pop like a soap bubble the instant I read that we've signed Leon Best.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For me the optimism that we'll do reasonably well next season has already begun. We've got a decent manager in place so we're not going to have the shambolic window and the farcical start to the season that we had last year. Optimism is a fragile thing though. It will pop like a soap bubble the instant I read that we've signed Leon Best.

We didn't have a farcical start. In fact, we won four matches in August. It all went downhill from September.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
We didn't have a farcical start. In fact, we won four matches in August. It all went downhill from September.

Yes, but two of these victories were in the 'League' Cup, one of which was against lowly Cheltenham, and the second was against Swindon - and this required Extra Time because were such shambolic shite for the first 90 minutes!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, but two of these victories were in the 'League' Cup, one of which was against lowly Cheltenham, and the second was against Swindon - and this required Extra Time because were such shambolic shite for the first 90 minutes!
Extra time - plus two penalties and Swindon down to 9 men by the end!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Unless we sign 5-7 players of good or exceptional quality, I'll see no reason to be optimistic about next season.

Thats very optimistic 5-7 , more like 12 -15 !!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here