Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing FC: Paralysed footballer now owns club

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
George Dowell dreamed of playing professional football before a car crash left him paralysed from the chest down and changed his life forever.

However, Dowell who used to play for Worthing FC now has a different dream - guiding the club to Conference South.

The former defender, 22, has bought the club he used to play for after using compensation from his accident to help the financially-troubled side.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32516000

Just had to post this..........

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good luck to both him and the club. This was reported in the National press a few weeks ago apparently paid up their debts of £200k also said Harty is a director. The Blooms were heavily into Worthing hence Barry Lloyd became manager could Adam Hinshlewood be on the same course?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Fair play to him, it's not likely to bring him any form of financial reward but in terms of satisfaction/happiness it'll hopefully more than make for it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been fortunate enough to meet George, when I went to the Bournemouth game with Harty and George - he's a truly inspirational young man.

A 3G pitch is being put in at Woodside Road with the aim of making the facility able to be used far more, by the wider community, than has been the case previously.

I've certainly been guilty of neglecting the local non-league scene in the past but having spent time with George, I'll make sure I get more involved now.

I've been fortunate enough to meet George, when I went to the Bournemouth game with Harty and George - he's a truly inspirational young man.

A 3G pitch is being put in at Woodside Road with the aim of making the facility able to be used far more, by the wider community, than has been the case previously.

I've certainly been guilty of neglecting the local non-league scene in the past but having spent time with George, I'll make sure I get more involved now.

Maidstone look to have an income of 150k from the 3g they had installed so hopefully worthing can keep their head above water and this local non league hero can make a few bob back in the process,good luck to both:thumbsup:

Plenty of other non league sides waiting for a helping hand. up the oak:blush:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Under Barry Lloyd Worthing were one of tge high payers if wages in Sussex is this still so, I would assume not. I would think Burgess Hill come well up on the list but dont really know.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Under Barry Lloyd Worthing were one of tge high payers if wages in Sussex is this still so, I would assume not. I would think Burgess Hill come well up on the list but dont really know.

Sussex fa at culver are waiting for planning to put 4g in,its about making money which is a no brainer,but will players want to play on it week after week,studies show your more injury prone

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sussex fa at culver are waiting for planning to put 4g in,its about making money which is a no brainer,but will players want to play on it week after week,studies show your more injury prone

Here's the study I read, which seems to suggest there's no evidence to say players are more lkely to be injured playing on artificial pitches:

Comparison of injuries sustained on artificial turf and grass by male 12 and female elite football players Author(s) Ekstrand, J., Hägglund , M. & Fuller , C.W. Year 2011 Journal Scandanavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 21(6); 824-832. The authors compared incidences and patterns of injury for female and male elite teams when playing football on artificial turf and grass. 20 teams playing home matches on 3G pitches were followed over time. Risk of injury risk from playing on 3G was compared with playing on grass. Results showed there were no significant differences in the nature of overuse injuries recorded on artificial turf and grass for either men or women. Similarly, the rate of acute injuries did not differ significantly between artificial turf and grass, for men or women. During matches, men were less likely to sustain a quadriceps strain and more likely to sustain an ankle sprain on artificial turf.

:shrug:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
not a fan of artificial pitches...have left large portions of my left buttock / thigh on 3 continents due to them.....grass any day , woodside road always did have a moody pitch ......good luck to the lad and to the rebels.....:thumbsup:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
not a fan of artificial pitches...have left large portions of my left buttock / thigh on 3 continents due to them.....grass any day , woodside road always did have a moody pitch ......good luck to the lad and to the rebels.....[emoji106]
Good lord man, I'm all for adventure but next time just use a bed!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I said I dont know just assumed it as when they won the County League they paid very high wages in comparison to others In the league.

They have done very well this season hence I asked who are the big wage payers, is it wrong to think based on this seasons success Burgess Hill would pay quite well.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
This is a great local story. Good luck to him, I hope it works out well.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He's brought some much needed stability to the club after years of financial problems. Good on him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here