Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon surprised by Albion's league slump [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Inigo*Calderon has vowed Albion will learn from their tumble down the Championship.
The long-serving player of the season admits the Seagulls’ fall from promotion contenders to relegation candidates has taken him by surprise.
But he expects them to climb back up the table again under Chris Hughton next season.
Calderon’s sixth season with Albion, although a personal triumph after topping the fans’ poll and playing regularly for Hughton and ex-boss Sami Hyypia, has been a near-disaster for the club.
They have just scraped clear of the drop zone ahead of Saturday’s final game at Middlesbrough, who are bound for the play-offs as Calderon was with the Seagulls in each of the previous two seasons.

He told The Argus: “You don’t see yourself in this position. You put a picture in your mind and it’s always quite a good picture.
“We started really badly. The first month we were struggling a lot. Then we improved a bit and maybe we thought it was already done. I try always to be positive and we are going to learn a lot.
“I’ve learnt a lot this year on and off the pitch. That’s the way you have to do it.”
Calderon, who is being offered a new deal but is yet to thrash out the details with the club, added: “I think you learn more when you are having difficult times.
“We’ve been enjoying the good life for three years. We were beautiful to watch. Now we are not this year. It’s going to be good because for sure next year we are going to be stronger.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here