Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky sports

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have just had a letter from virginmedia saying that our sky sports package has gone up by another £2.50 a month.

This is another increase that we have had and they say.." Oh there are extra HD channels". Or " you have all the cricket this summer".

It is getting the stage where we are seriously looking at Virgin as we have broadband, phone and XL package and will pay £130ish a month. Difficult to justify this sort of cost.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I want to cancel Sky, wife won't let me.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simple: cancel Sky Sports and go to watch anything you want for the price of a pint or two in your local hostelry that's showing a game. Much more fun, pubs need the business and you're not giving money to Sky. Win/win/win.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I want to cancel Sky/Sky sports now footie is done but, I enjoy F1 as do my boys what can you do?? My letter said an extra 4.00 a month!!!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What's particularly annoying is that you have to pay for Premier League football even if you only want it for the cricket, there are no options to pay less and only watch other sports.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simple: cancel Sky Sports and go to watch anything you want for the price of a pint or two in your local hostelry that's showing a game. Much more fun, pubs need the business and you're not giving money to Sky. Win/win/win.

Except loads of pubs have binned off Sky Sports now because of the extortionate prices. My local hasn't got it any more, they wanted £1100 a month for it. I know a couple of others in the locality who used to have it but can't afford it any more.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sky wanted to put my sub up by £4.50 a month so this morning I rang up and downgraded by chopping the Sports and Movies which has saved me just under £40 a month.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I spend as much time channel surfing everyday trying to find something decent to watch on my freeview as I did when I had Sky/Virgin. I just do it for no cost now.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
You pau for sky, then you have to pay extra for the sports , then you have to pay extra for bt sport, then you have to pay extra for big boxing matches on pay per view.
You have to then pay extra for the movies, then if you want to watch a new film pay extra to rent it.

feck em get an android box

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
We have just had a letter from virginmedia saying that our sky sports package has gone up by another £2.50 a month.

This is another increase that we have had and they say.." Oh there are extra HD channels". Or " you have all the cricket this summer".

It is getting the stage where we are seriously looking at Virgin as we have broadband, phone and XL package and will pay £130ish a month. Difficult to justify this sort of cost.

So do you already have Virgin Media or are you looking at changing to it? Either way if you want sports they have you by the short and curlys.

I've had my letter through. I got pissed off about it at first but I love watching the football so what can I do? I think for the service I get and the amount I use it, it is still well worth the money.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

I got a simalar letter back in January so I called up and asked to leave. I advised them financial constraints / new baby / overtime cut at work (et al). Girl on the phone couldnt do a deal with me so I entered into the 30 day notice peroid. Around a week later, and after probably fifty missed calls, I spoke to someone in the retentions team, basically cut my bill by 50% for 6 months and then 25% off for the remaining 6 months as long as I signed upto a years contract extension. They also guaranteed no price increases in the interim.

if you dont go iwth that then top cashback are doing some great deals with new customers to sky. £157 cashback + £100 voucher

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm a mug for having Sky Sports, I know I am. And this latest hike really sticks in the throat, because its clearly as a direct consequence of them busting the bank to ludicrous levels on the new Premier League TV deal. Yeah great, 126 matches to BT's 42, but it doesn't mention the fact that they've now lost the Champions League to BT from next season. Thats massive.

I'm on the brink of binning it. BUT - their coverage is first class, I still want it for the cricket and the NFL when that starts up. And Sky Go is bloody brilliant. I can't wait to be watching the Ashes for hours on end out in the garden on my laptop this summer, it would be a real wrench losing that.

Having Sky is like having a really hot girlfriend who you know is a slag and treats you like shit, but you just can't bring yourself to dump her.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm a mug for having Sky Sports, I know I am. And this latest hike really sticks in the throat, because its clearly as a direct consequence of them busting the bank to ludicrous levels on the new Premier League TV deal. Yeah great, 126 matches to BT's 42, but it doesn't mention the fact that they've now lost the Champions League to BT from next season. Thats massive.

I'm on the brink of binning it. BUT - their coverage is first class, I still want it for the cricket and the NFL when that starts up. And Sky Go is bloody brilliant. I can't wait to be watching the Ashes for hours on end in out the garden on my laptop this summer, it would be a real wrench losing that.

Having Sky is like having a really hot girlfriend who you know is a slag and treats you like shit, but you just can't bring yourself to dump her.

Yep, It gets to the point when you think is it really worth it... its another £5 a month on top of it.. but then you think.... Can I be bothered to watch football via a dodgy stream? Sky go is amazing... it is only another fiver....

Yoda

English & European

£130 per month! Wow! We have the same package (minus BT Sports), but through Sky and only pay about £100 per month.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I binned Sky Sports a couple of months ago,and as we have BT Broadband, I got a BT Box, and of course BT Sports is 'free'.

Yes, lots of money saved, but I do miss the cricket.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe

Showing Sky in a pub is a huge, huge expense. Although they have a discount structure based on all sorts of strange factors (we get a discount for selling food(?)) it still runs out towards a £1000 a month. That's an awful lot of extra drinks to sell, and, frankly live football doesn't attract enough customers apart from Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal games to make it anywhere near profitable.Last night Hull v Liverpool brought in four extra customers, two of whom nursed a pint all evening and one who left at half time. But if we don't have it and BT Sport then we don't get the customers at all. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here