Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you sign Halford permanently?

Would you sign Halford permanently?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
maypole-dancing.jpg

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Yes. Out of contract so no fee.

Probably not expensive wage wise.

Versatile player that would provide cover when needed and sit on the bench when not.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's an impossible question to answer without seeing the deal and what else is availible for the same price.

I don't think he's a first team regular for a side gunning to go up from this league. However, I think he's a very handy man to have around as a squad player.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
One of the few loanees who performed in various positions to an acceptable level.

However we need to progress OUR development squad players like Rea, Dallinson, Pappoe...

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
It's an impossible question to answer without seeing the deal and what else is availible for the same price.

I don't think he's a first team regular for a side gunning to go up from this league. However, I think he's a very handy man to have around as a squad player.

I lean towards no, but if the deal was good relative to other available players, I wouldn't object to signing him for the squad either. So I'm on the fence for now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we are serious about challenging for promotion then Halford is not good enough to be a starting CB in that side.

It then becomes a toss-up between him or Greer on the bench, and I go for Greer every time. One factor here is the re-signing of Calde. Halford was billed as a centre-back that can player in other positions but now we're keeping Calde we're sorted for versatility so, for me, that makes Halford surplus to requirements.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we are looking to build a team capable of going up over the next 2 years, then Halford is not the answer.

For a mid table plodder he is fine, but he is not quality.

Exactly this, I expect him to sign early and we will be treated to some waffle about how we are building a team to challenge for promotion.

Not good enough to be in a team with any ambition. why do you think Forest loaned him out?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Probably not expensive wage wise.

I'm not sure this is the case, he's been transferred for a few big fees in his time and he's played for clubs like Pompey and Forest who are happy to spunk big money up the wall on wages. Pure speculation but I think he'd be quite expensive for just a squad player.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Depends on how much he wants, and what our other options are.

IMO, if we're serious about making a promotion push next year, he's not the answer.

But then again, nor is Greer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, on a one year deal if reasonably inexpensive, Need back-up now that Hughes has gone (and maybe even more so if Greer's age starts to tell).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No. Absolutely not.

He is just about passable at CB, and despite the much touted versatility, is absolutely shit everywhere else. Wages would be significant. Not good value at all.

Calderon should have the 'reliable versatile back up' role.

Sign some quality players, not big strong journeymen.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
He wasn't happy as a squad player at Forest. I doubt he'll be happy as a squad player at Brighton. Even if our beach is nice. I hope BHAFC's ambitions for a first 11 are a little higher TBH.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My money is on Halford gaining promotion next season, with another club.

Then we can all get behind the thread slating the club for no ambition, as yet another former 'hero' is earning a living at the top table.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Average at best, get 1 quality CB in to start alongside Dunk with Greer and 1 from the DS as backup. Signing Halford for me would be a very good indication of how amibitions the club are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here