Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which clubs are NOT 'selling clubs'?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There's been a lot of accusations made towards the Albion as being a selling club, which makes me wonder.

1: How do you define 'selling club'
2: Which clubs could claim not to be 'selling clubs'?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Full definition: A selling club is any club that has ever sold any player that one fan of that club has stated that s/he a) didn't want sold, or b) thinks was sold too cheaply, or c) thinks was sold at the wrong time, or d) thinks was sold to the wrong purchasing club.

Short definition: Every club.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I personally think you are only a selling club if you sell players to a direct rival, dont use the money to replace them

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
1. All clubs are selling clubs
2. None.

As per Soccernomics, any club should sell when it receives an offer for a player of more than they perceive that player to be worth. The caveat to that is that the club should have their replacement already in the squad.

We are told that we only sell when a players head has been turned or is no longer wanted, which is fair enough and we seem to be maximising our returns in most instances. Where we have fallen down is in the replacement of that player (either going out to get or having in the squad already).

The accusation of us being a selling club is a direct result of the recent success we have had on the pitch (not this year though obviously) - our better players get offers we cannot compete with and off they go. I cannot see that changing anytime soon, even if we did get to the PL one day. Players are mercenaries in the main and will follow the money.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
99% of clubs are selling clubs.

In Barbers defence we are no longer a selling payers for a song club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I personally think you are only a selling club if you sell players to a direct rival, dont use the money to replace them

I completely agree.

There is nothing we can do really about big money offers for the likes of Ulloa, Bridcutt and Buckley. Those sales don't make us a selling club.

What makes us a selling club are the likes of Noone and Barnes, players who would have stayed but we've sold to rivals for a bit of £££.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
selling clubs are those that discover and/or nurture talent then sell it on.

or,

selling clubs are those that when they sell a player, do not invest all that money into other players.

its a somewhat objective term, as all clubs sell, i think its the net effect on the playing side that determines if the term is justified.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I completely agree.

There is nothing we can do really about big money offers for the likes of Ulloa, Bridcutt and Buckley. Those sales don't make us a selling club.

What makes us a selling club are the likes of Noone and Barnes, players who would have stayed but we've sold to rivals for a bit of £££.

And there was me thinking that Barnes had run his contract down to 6 months and wouldn't sign the one offered :facepalm:

And i think the price we got for Noone was good. As has been stated above, selling is not an issue. It's the replacing that's the issue

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All clubs are selling clubs , even those who sell a player for £80M to buy another for £100M

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
More to the point how many of the current top six sold off their best players?

Genuine question, I know Bournemouth sold Grabban but replaced him with Wilson. I know Watford turned down around 10 million from Leicester for Deeney, which is suprising because the NSC perception is that if a Premier League comes in the player will want to leave.

I will be very surprised to hear that any of the current top six sold their best players and failed to replace them. In fact they appear to have held on to their best players and recruited some more.

Brighton, however seem to be in the forefront of selling clubs which goes a long way to explaining our plummet down the league. Fortunately we have very few players to sell now so maybe we can rebuild.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And there was me thinking that Barnes had run his contract down to 6 months and wouldn't sign the one offered :facepalm:

And i think the price we got for Noone was good. As has been stated above, selling is not an issue. It's the replacing that's the issue

The price for Noone was only good if you can replace with as good or better for the same money. I would say the price we got was poor value given we won't get a wide player as good as him for that money.

As for Barnes, we waited until he only had a year left until we made an offer that was clearly lower than what others were prepared to pay (or what others in our own squad were getting). He should have been offered something at least 18months before the end to show he was valued at the club, and he should have been made one of our higher paid players. Barnes run his contract down in the end because he knew he could pretty much double his money elsewhere.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
the NSC perception is that if a Premier League comes in the player will want to leave.

We turned down lots of offers from Leicester for Ulloa last summer. The difference came when Ulloa himself asked to leave. Which he did.

Boro sold Jutkiewicz to Burnley.
Ipswich sold Cresswell to West Ham

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We turned down lots of offers from Leicester for Ulloa last summer. The difference came when Ulloa himself asked to leave. Which he did.

Boro sold Jutkiewicz to Burnley.
Ipswich sold Cresswell to West Ham

Let's not beat about the bush, EVERY player asks to leave the Albion when a Premier League club makes an offer. I am merely questioning how and why other clubs in the Championship can convince players to stay on and reject offers to go. I'll go further, do we try and convince them they have a future here at the top level if they just stick around for a while or do the players know we are not going up anytime soon since Poyet left? I reckon we happily take the money and wave them goodbye personally.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
. I am merely questioning how and why other clubs in the Championship can convince players to stay on and reject offers to go..

Such as who ?
Deeney wasn't sold, if those rumours were true., as Ulloa was Leicester's #1 target. Anyone else ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here