Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Religious promotion in schools

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Morning,

My son happened to mention to me yesterday evening that in year 8 assembly yesterday every child was given a Bible. Apparently a nice man from Gideon was giving them out.

Now, I have an issue with this on a number of levels;

1. Why the Bible and not The Koran or Torah?

2. Who gives them the right to hand out religious 'propoganda' of any flavour to 13 year old children anyway?

3. Where was the consulatation with the parents? I am aware that there are some children, who because their parents are Jehova's Witnesses have opt outs for all sorts of things, but why has the school allowed this without any discussion?

I've read that this is a big thing in the US, particularly the Bible belt states, but I never thought it would happen here.

I might contact them to see if I could hand out some satanism leaflets, or some of Richard Dawkins' or Sam Harris' books in the school and see what reaction I get.

It's parents' evening tomorrow - I think I might have a word.

By the way - my son said he left his copy behind :D

What's the view of NSC?

Papa

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Hmm isn't George Osborne's real name Gideon?. I suspect a Tory plot.
Seriously though - this is outrageous. I expect the school will (rightly) get a fair number of complaints

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
I'm with you 100%. I would be making a strong complaint if my daughter was given any religious text at school. There really needs to be a complete separation between religion and education.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Smacks of Christian radicalisation if you ask me. Next thing we know there'll be modern day teenage Crusaders making their way into Syria to fight against ISIS.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
That happened to me when I was at school, but I did go to a faith school so it is to be expected.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
We were given them as well when I was at Primary school- but it was a Church of England school so slightly more understandable. Think I threw mine in the bin on the way out...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We were given them when I was at Secondary School back in the late 90s, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a C of E school either (it certainly isn't now it's changed to "community school").

It was promptly put in the bin, even at the age of about 12 I was quite angry to have someone try and force religion on me.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Morning,

My son happened to mention to me yesterday evening that in year 8 assembly yesterday every child was given a Bible. Apparently a nice man from Gideon was giving them out.

Now, I have an issue with this on a number of levels;

1. Why the Bible and not The Koran or Torah?

2. Who gives them the right to hand out religious 'propoganda' of any flavour to 13 year old children anyway?

3. Where was the consulatation with the parents? I am aware that there are some children, who because their parents are Jehova's Witnesses have opt outs for all sorts of things, but why has the school allowed this without any discussion?

I've read that this is a big thing in the US, particularly the Bible belt states, but I never thought it would happen here.

I might contact them to see if I could hand out some satanism leaflets, or some of Richard Dawkins' or Sam Harris' books in the school and see what reaction I get.

It's parents' evening tomorrow - I think I might have a word.

By the way - my son said he left his copy behind :D

What's the view of NSC?

Papa

Not a church school by any chance?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What about RE Classes?

Surely kids should be learning about all religions, in equal measure?

RE should be replaced with philosophy, which covers religion and provides a much broader education on the issues religion trys to cover.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We were given them when I was at Secondary School back in the late 90s, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a C of E school either (it certainly isn't now it's changed to "community school").

Yeah, I was given one in the late 60s (and I didn't go to a church school either). It's pretty standard practice - can't say I'm wild about the practice but it's scarcely something new: it's been going for at least 50 years, that's when the protests should have started

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yeah, I was given one in the late 60s (and I didn't go to a church school either). It's pretty standard practice - can't say I'm wild about the practice but it's scarcely something new: it's been going for at least 50 years, that's when the protests should have started

Well, yesterday was the first time one of my children has been approached to join a cult - I think I might just protest.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I assume you don't celebrate Easter or Christmas as well?
Or are you just being selective in your outrage?

Stumpy Tim

I assume you don't celebrate Easter or Christmas as well?
Or are you just being selective in your outrage?

We don't really do Easter, but Christmas for me is now more like ThanksGiving in the US. That's what I celebrate at Christmas anyway - a day a year where family gets together, drinks a lot, and then argues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here