Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Evening Matches Kick-Off Times

What would be your preferred midweek evening match kick off time?

• 7.15pm

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 7.30pm

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 7.45pm

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 8.00pm

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

el punal

I noticed in the programme, for the Watford game, that the 1965 title winning game against Darlington started at 7.15. I'm sure that most evening matches kicked off at 7.30 and finished at around 9.10.

In some respects if these K.O. times were applied now would it be easier to attend evening games, i.e. being in a position to catch the last bus/train home which is not possible with a 7.45/8.00 start?

I suppose though, as fans, we are not considered in the grand scheme of things. I mean, who thought that we could play Middlesbrough (away) - the furthest distance apart in the division - as the last game of the season and make it a 12.15 start, as a practical proposition? :shrug:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
In some respects if these K.O. times were applied now would it be easier to attend evening games, i.e. being in a position to catch the last bus/train home which is not possible with a 7.45/8.00 start?

Easier for you maybe, not so for those who can barely make the current k.o time after finishing work.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Have sympathy for the Spanish fans whose games start at 10 pm or even later.
Different subject but I see Sky have a Barca game this Saturday live at 3 pm. Thought UK TV couldn't show live 3 pm games or is that only British clubs?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Different subject but I see Sky have a Barca game this Saturday live at 3 pm. Thought UK TV couldn't show live 3 pm games or is that only British clubs?
I think you've answered your own question. Presumably to encourage fans to go and watch a British game at 3pm, rather than watch a British game in front of the tv.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
I noticed in the programme, for the Watford game, that the 1965 title winning game against Darlington started at 7.15. I'm sure that most evening matches kicked off at 7.30 and finished at around 9.10.

I suppose though, as fans, we are not considered in the grand scheme of things. I mean, who thought that we could play Middlesbrough (away) - the furthest distance apart in the division - as the last game of the season and make it a 12.15 start, as a practical proposition? :shrug:

Very much a sign of the times and changes to working practices, longer hours and people having to commute further for work. A few London teams have moved KOs to 8pm so people can get there on time. Roll the clock back to 64-65, many more people will have worked locally and would have finished at 5pm on the nose.

Blame the 80's for work starting to eat into leisure time and the decent working hours which working people had to fight for.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
A 7:30pm kick off would make that last fast train back to London a bit easier to catch.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Commuters would also have had more reliable trains. And if there was a problem with the Brighton ML, fans could have come back on the Adur line or via Uckfield

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Imagine all the MOANING about fans arriving late and blocking views while taking their seats.

On the plus side, quite a few wouldn't care about whether the words to Sussex by the Sea were on the main screens, as they wouldn't be in the ground by that point :lolol:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

That's a cultural thing. They all have a sleep at lunchtime and then stay up much later than us. 10pm isn't late in Spain.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Interesting question, so I have added a poll.

For me I'd rather see a slight shift back to 8pm. Would make it slightly less of a rush to get there from work. But I can see the other side too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here