Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cook & Elphick

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 22389

At the time I thought they where mad leaving us, now it turns out it is the best moves they ever made. Just shows the quality we let go at the time. It seems to happen to us for some reason.
We still have Dunk who is one of our own. Well done Bournemouth but I wish these players where here to see us in the Premier League.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It shows the potential that we let go at the time. There is no way that they would have progressed as they have staying here as they would not have played much. Good moves for them both. But I suspect they may fall victim to the squad enhancing that is bound to happen at B'muff now.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
For me, I can't see Elphick being a regular Premiership player, hope i'm wide of the mark as he's a top bloke but I think he'll be a squad player at best. Cook is the more talented of the two imo and I was gutted when he left, think he'll make the step up well.

D

Deleted member 22389

It shows the potential that we let go at the time. There is no way that they would have progressed as they have staying here as they would not have played much. Good moves for them both. But I suspect they may fall victim to the squad enhancing that is bound to happen at B'muff now.

Your right the owner will now spend big in some areas which means other players will be pushed to one side, which could ruin the original team spirit. Anyway well done Bournemouth. You proved the doubters wrong including me.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
At the time they were only fringe players in our squad because we had a decent defence and the only way to progress their careers was to drop down a league.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't see it as us making a mistake letting them go. I was disappointed when they went as I thought they both had a lot to offer, but I thought it was a credit to our club that we didn't stand in their way. Regular first team football has clearly seen both develop, and become better players than they would have been scratching around here waiting for the next loan assignment.

El-Abd was ahead of them both, and HE left due to the lack of first team football he was getting, so these two really would have had none. Well done Gus and Tony for letting them go and develop at Bournemouth.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can't believe we ended up with that donkey Upson instead of them.

Oh...

But seriously, there is no point looking back. As has been stated in numerous places, our defence isn't the problem, nor was it when we sold them. I agree that Cook might have been a bit of a mistake, but hindsight is a wonderful thing, eh?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
At the time they were only fringe players in our squad because we had a decent defence and the only way to progress their careers was to drop down a league.

Elphick was a key figure in the title winning season and the season preceding it. Only his injury cast him aside, and Gus spunking money on ex England internationals.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Elphick was a key figure in the title winning season and the season preceding it. Only his injury cast him aside, and Gus spunking money on ex England internationals.

Greer & El-Abd were the first choice CBs in that season. Elphick's injury then took over 14 months to heal thanks to a bodged job in Germany.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Greer & El-Abd were the first choice CBs in that season. Elphick's injury then took over 14 months to heal thanks to a bodged job in Germany.

Tommy's league appearances were:
10/11 = 27 apps (total 35)
09/10 = 44 apps (total 50)
08/09 = 39 apps (total 49)
07/08 = 39 apps (total 44)

I never said he was first choice that season, but to say he was a peripheral figure prior to his injury was disingenuous to say the least.

I don't buy all this hindsight stuff, Elphick and Cook as two Sussex lads should have been given more opportunities, and we should have realised that along with Dunk we had 3 of the brightest CB prospects around. Symptomatic of the poor judgement Poyet had in a lot of areas in my opinion - he had the talent to get promoted, but he thought he had to spend big.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The few games that Cook played for us back then he was exceptional. A real surprise that he didn't get more game time and an even bigger surprise that we let him go.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Tommy's league appearances were:
10/11 = 27 apps (total 35)
09/10 = 44 apps (total 50)
08/09 = 39 apps (total 49)
07/08 = 39 apps (total 44)

I never said he was first choice that season, but to say he was a peripheral figure prior to his injury was disingenuous to say the least.

I don't buy all this hindsight stuff, Elphick and Cook as two Sussex lads should have been given more opportunities, and we should have realised that along with Dunk we had 3 of the brightest CB prospects around. Symptomatic of the poor judgement Poyet had in a lot of areas in my opinion - he had the talent to get promoted, but he thought he had to spend big.

Agreed, unfortunately this would have been a disadvantage for them both.

Clubs have armies of recruitment and scouting staff, sometimes the local lads that have landed on their laps from the age of say 12 years old really dont offer much to those staff that are scurrying around trying to justify their own position by bringing in a similar player from further afield.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Can't believe we ended up with that donkey Upson instead of them.

Oh...

Although he can't even hold down a place in Leicester's relegation scrapping team.

Can I just say how refreshing it is to see another hang-wringing thread on Bournemouth, Cook and Elphick on here today. I was only saying to someone the other day that you can't have enough hand-wringing threads on an internet message forum. Apparently Tony Bloom has bought himself a black and red striped hair shirt to wear on his flight back to Aus next week.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I agree with the previous post that Cook will probably make the transition better than Elphick.

However if Delaney and Ward can make the step up, I'm sure that Tommy can.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Was impressed with Tommy's post match interview on Radio Five last night - and I am rarely impressed with Football Interviews, showed why he is their captain!

No hand wringing here - name me one club in the country that hasn't let players go only to see them bloom elsewhere?

It's not like we haven't benefitted ourselves in the past - Zamora anyone?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Although he can't even hold down a place in Leicester's relegation scrapping team.

Can I just say how refreshing it is to see another hang-wringing thread on Bournemouth, Cook and Elphick on here today. I was only saying to someone the other day that you can't have enough hand-wringing threads on an internet message forum. Apparently Tony Bloom has bought himself a black and red striped hair shirt to wear on his flight back to Aus next week.

As we scrape past relegation, I can't think of anything else! All the players we let go or could have signed who've gone on to get promoted; Cook, Elphick, Murray, Noone, Barnes, Wood, Vokes...We're left with a pile of shite. Vokes was signed for £350k by Burnley, we paid how much for Baldock and O'Grady?

Don't know about hand-wringing, there needs to be some bloody neck-wringing!! :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As Elphick said he had an injury to set him back to 14 months recovery time from the original injury. Could anybody be sure he would get back to his best perhaps get him back alongside Dunk when they sign more players for the Premier League plus perhaps 1 or 2 of the remaining 6 or 7 who wont.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As Elphick said he had an injury to set him back to 14 montgs recovery time from the original injury. Could anybody be sure he would get back to his best perhaps get him back alongside Dunk when they sign more players for the Premier League plus perhaps 1 or 2 of the remaining 6 or 7 who wont.

We should have given it a chance. Could have sent him out on loan, he wanted to be here. We rushed to judge he wasn't good enough (pre injury judgement) for where we thought we were heading.....we just didn't realise at the time it was League One rather than the Premier League!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I wonder who we'll sell Jake and Solly to so that someone else can get promoted to the Premier League!?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
We could actually use this to attract talent. Market ourselves as the championship "arsenal". We almost get there, but not quite and that if you come to us, you're almost certain to be sold to a promotion chasing club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here