Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Heating Advice Required Please

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
I wonder if any heating engineers could offer a suggestion as to what is the likely problem with our heating?

We have a relatively new Worcester Combi boiler, which has started playing up.

It was installed just over 3 years ago and when the Gas Safety Check was carried out at the end of last year we were told that it was “in A1 condition”.

In February, the boiler started losing pressure, so we contacted the Landlord who sent an engineer, who sad he thought it was either a leak on a radiator, or possibly a fault with the boiler itself so he isolated the radiator and ordered a part for the boiler.

A couple of days later another engineer attended, fixed the seal on the radiator and all was well, until last week.

The boiler started losing pressure again, we put pressure back in, but the pressure kept dropping so we arranged for another engineers visit.

The engineer said he thought that it was likely to be a leak somewhere on the system, so we needed a plumber, rather that a heating engineer.

A plumber attended yesterday, and checked the system, said that none of the radiators are leaking, and put something into the boiler to check the system. He asked that we kept the heating on all day and keep an eye on the pressure.

He added that it may be a fault with the boiler, otherwise he would need to take up carpets and the floor!

Within 30 minutes of the engineer leaving, the pressure had dropped back to 0. We put the pressure back up to 1.5, but by tea time, it was back at 0.

Despite re-pressuring the boiler, it was again at 0 this morning. The heating is still working despite this?

One thing we have noticed, is that there are two pipes coming out of the external wall adjacent to the boiler, and the lower one is dripping water just after we re-pressure the boiler.

We have an engineer booked to attend again today, but I was just wondering what the problem is likely to be?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'd guess on faulty safety release valve, dodgy expansion vessel or leak in pipe work. The engineers shuld know th

Dorsetgull

Sep 13, 2008
Near Yeovil
I wonder if any heating engineers could offer a suggestion as to what is the likely problem with our heating?

We have a relatively new Worcester Combi boiler, which has started playing up.

It was installed just over 3 years ago and when the Gas Safety Check was carried out at the end of last year we were told that it was “in A1 condition”.

In February, the boiler started losing pressure, so we contacted the Landlord who sent an engineer, who sad he thought it was either a leak on a radiator, or possibly a fault with the boiler itself so he isolated the radiator and ordered a part for the boiler.

A couple of days later another engineer attended, fixed the seal on the radiator and all was well, until last week.

The boiler started losing pressure again, we put pressure back in, but the pressure kept dropping so we arranged for another engineers visit.

The engineer said he thought that it was likely to be a leak somewhere on the system, so we needed a plumber, rather that a heating engineer.

A plumber attended yesterday, and checked the system, said that none of the radiators are leaking, and put something into the boiler to check the system. He asked that we kept the heating on all day and keep an eye on the pressure.

He added that it may be a fault with the boiler, otherwise he would need to take up carpets and the floor!

Within 30 minutes of the engineer leaving, the pressure had dropped back to 0. We put the pressure back up to 1.5, but by tea time, it was back at 0.

Despite re-pressuring the boiler, it was again at 0 this morning. The heating is still working despite this?

One thing we have noticed, is that there are two pipes coming out of the external wall adjacent to the boiler, and the lower one is dripping water just after we re-pressure the boiler.

We have an engineer booked to attend again today, but I was just wondering what the problem is likely to be?

Look carefully at the pressure gauge, if it jumps about when heating is on and goes from 1 to 3 or so quickly, then it is the expansion vessel. Otherwise I agree with the other post that it is the PRV. goood luck.

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
Thanks guys, hopefully the engineer will be able to resolve this one and for all when he attends at some point today.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here