Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help Chris Hughton : Who would you sell and sign?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You have the money from the Colunga sale, probably the money from selling COG, along with a chunk of the Ulloa cash...

I'd sell Dunk for 3 million if we can.

And then buy :

Zamora ( free )
Bassong
Lansbury ( if we can prize him away from his final year at Forest)
E. Bennett
The Ulloa clone we are scouting for.
S.Ward

We'd still need another striker, and central defender, of course. Dreaded loans, probably.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Zamora = Past it.
Bennett did SFA when he was here on loan

Look forward FFS or we are going one way....backwards

Bassong has been a long standing rumour so who knows?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
E. Bennett, good player and was beginning to hit some form before he returned to Norwich, but he got injured shortly after and has only just returned to the Norwich squad I believe. Would take him at the right price but injuries do seem to follow him around...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sell Dunk, then look for a central defender? Why not just keep Dunk?

Because we can get a good fee for Dunk, fund a more experienced replacement, and have cash to spare to strengthen other areas.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Because we can get a good fee for Dunk, fund a more experienced replacement, and have cash to spare to strengthen other areas.

I don't agree with this short-term approach. We have a good young local defender who has made it through to the first team. Flogging him and trying to get a slow 30-something for a couple of years (perhaps on loan) isn't the right approach.

It's the reasoning that led us to sell Barnes and bring in all the garbage we've had since then.

The best long-term approach is to be patient and give the young players a go in the first team. They will learn, and we will have a cohesive unit rather than a band of mercenaries.

As a fan, I am far more happy seeing the youth players working their way up than a load of loan players that are frankly past their best, costing a fortune in wages, and not really trying.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Realistically we need in my opinion A new LB, a new CB (not halford) 2 creative midfielders, and 2 completely different types of striker, 1 type who can hold the ball up and allow the team to move up the pitch and the other needs to be a fox in the box type. These are the absolute minimum requirements. We do have Solly and Crofts to return who will be good options.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I would sell CoG as I just feel Baldock aside we need a clean sweep up front with three new strikers coming in to refresh the attacking part of the team.

Dunk I would consider expendable only if we had a very good offer, I would not take less than £5m, otherwise I see no value in letting him go cheaply.

On reflection I would probably not try and resign any of the loanees (maybe Bennett, but I feel Halford's stock has fallen of late).

We need to start to afresh as much as possible and for Hughton to feel that it is his team. I am expecting a minimum four new starters from the summer dealings with a further five or six players adding depth to the squad. Priorities are forwards and fullbacks.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
We really need to have permanent scouts in Europe - particularly in Spain, France, Italy and Germany - it is not beyond the realm of possibility to uncover another gem like Ulloa. The English transfer market is far too intense and overpriced.

According to Barber recently Hughton has already been to the continent to check on a couple of players. We do still have people watching players in Europe as far as I know.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Craig Gardner on loan, a left back on on loan, a couple of players you've never heard of from abroad & a striker from league 1

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sell Dunk for £3m, sell COG for £500k, get in Joe Garner (or Gary Hooper if Norwich go up - I don't think he's Prem quality) and some Spanish Secunda Division striker like Borja González (6ft 3in, knows where the goal is). Apparently the 3rd top scorer is David Rodriguez (never heard of him).

Then I'd look at Bassong in defence, Ward for left back and that's where I run a bit dry. Hopefully Hughton won't!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Some suggestions to buy for starters...

Matt Tootle from Crewe - a young, energetic and pacey right-back, already their Captain
Benoit Assou-Ekotto - free agent - left -back.
Greg Halford CB - free agent
Damien Delaney CB - free agent
Jonathan Douglas Central, midfield rock
Elliot Bennett - winger
Bobby Zamora - free agent
Vaz Te
Chuba Akpom season long loan

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills