Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer spending - and that old excuse won't wash anymore !

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Well the speculation on our summer spending and re-building starts now, but I won't be happy if we hear that same old excuse from the club about not being able to compete financially with the ex-Premier League clubs with their parachute payments. How many of the current top 6 have benefitted from parachute payments in the last 3 years ? One ! Norwich, and now we have little old Bournemouth heading for the elite (and good luck to them too). It's all about finding the right players to fit the right attacking formula !

Come on Albion - learn from our mistakes ! UTA

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Come on Watford would be nowhere without their current owners and the shipping in of some very talented players via his other clubs. Job done for him, he's only here for the jackpot of the premier league. Bournemouth on the other hand just shows how even a small club can get it right. Galls me to see that we've helped another club to promotion though. Palace with Murray now Bournemouth with Elphick and Cook. The commentator said those two have been the basis to build the team round and have played every single game this season. Cook especially annoys me, I thought from that one game we saw him that he looked a really good prospect yet sold straight after. Seems pretty dumb to me especially as Greer was already ageing. Why couldn't we have had Dunk and Cook as the future of our defence

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
. Cook especially annoys me, I thought from that one game we saw him that he looked a really good prospect yet sold straight after. Seems pretty dumb to me especially as Greer was already ageing. Why couldn't we have had Dunk and Cook as the future of our defence

I think the main reason Cook was sold was because he had a court case hanging over his head and could very easily have been sent down which would have seen us get zero.

I'd guess that the fact the club sold Cook and stood by Dunk is down to one of three things.

A) The club thought Cook would go down and Dunk wouldn't.
B) The club thought Dunk was worth taking a risk with, and that Cook wasn't.
C) The club tried to sell both Cook & Dunk and nobody came in for Dunk.

Let's not forget that it wasn't too long ago people on here were talking about Dunk as if he was the next John Terry or Franz Beckenbauer and we were going to be getting £5,000,000 for him. Would Dunk and Cook both got enough time to develop in to the players they are now if they'd both stayed at the same club? Would Poyet/Garcia had the balls to play two inexperienced 21/22 year olds together in the heart of defence? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but letting one of them go (with an alleged hefty sell-on fee) probably wasn't the terrible piece of business people are now making out it was. It also could have gone the other way and looked a sterling piece of business by the club - Grant Hall, anyone? He looked equally; if not more, impressive than Dunk AND Cook and he's nowhere near as advance as either of them because he didn't get the player time of the other two.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Cook especially annoys me, I thought from that one game we saw him that he looked a really good prospect yet sold straight after. Seems pretty dumb to me especially as Greer was already ageing. Why couldn't we have had Dunk and Cook as the future of our defence.

I think the main reason Cook was sold was because he had a court case hanging over his head and could very easily have been sent down which would have seen us get zero.

Cook went as Bournemouth offered him a massive pay rise.

el punal

Well the speculation on our summer spending and re-building starts now, but I won't be happy if we hear that same old excuse from the club about not being able to compete financially with the ex-Premier League clubs with their parachute payments.

Come on Albion - learn from our mistakes ! UTA

Well, we'll find out soon enough in about six months time won't we? Three months re-building, signing the RIGHT players, having a system that works. Then three months putting that into practice on the pitch, which will take us into October. It was about that time last year that Sami Hyypia's dream all went titties up, and that dream became the nightmare that we are suffering now. No repeat please!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Come on Watford would be nowhere without their current owners and the shipping in of some very talented players via his other clubs. J

Players from a Spanish soon to be second division team and Udinese, and under achieving side in the under achieving Italian Serie A. Blimey, English football must be in a shocking state.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I'd guess that the fact the club sold Cook and stood by Dunk is down to one of three things.

A) The club thought Cook would go down and Dunk wouldn't.
B) The club thought Dunk was worth taking a risk with, and that Cook wasn't.
C) The club tried to sell both Cook & Dunk and nobody came in for Dunk.

Let's not forget that it wasn't too long ago people on here were talking about Dunk as if he was the next John Terry or Franz Beckenbauer and we were going to be getting £5,000,000 for him. Would Dunk and Cook both got enough time to develop in to the players they are now if they'd both stayed at the same club? Would Poyet/Garcia had the balls to play two inexperienced 21/22 year olds together in the heart of defence? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but letting one of them go (with an alleged hefty sell-on fee) probably wasn't the terrible piece of business people are now making out it was. It also could have gone the other way and looked a sterling piece of business by the club - Grant Hall, anyone? He looked equally; if not more, impressive than Dunk AND Cook and he's nowhere near as advance as either of them because he didn't get the player time of the other two.

It was absolutely nothing to do with the court case; Cook was already a Bournemouth player by the time that group of players were arrested. Gus just didn't rate him highly enough, which is why he went on loan to Bournemouth failry early in 11/12 and then the move made permanent at the beginning of the Jan window that season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here