Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
OK, so the groups are over and we're left with 8 teams for the knockout phase of the competition. A random draw has been conducted to determine who will face who, and the third Quarter Final will be between:
[MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION]
shatnersbassoon.png

SUBS: Hernan Crespo, Peter Crouch, Dave Watson, Geremi, Kevin Pressman
[MENTION=286]Garry Nelson's Left Foot[/MENTION]
garrynelsonsleftfoot.png

SUBS: Asmir Begovic, Alvaro Arbeloa, Stiliyan Petrov, Raheem Sterling, Dion Dublin

The winner will see their name go into the hat for the Semi Finals, good luck everyone. :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not going to lie, this is the one team I didn't want to face....that said, you've got to beat the best to be the best. And I'm convinced my team is the best.

For those who managed to miss my campaigning in the last round, a quick summary of why F.C GNLF deserves t go through. This is a tournament based on the premier league careers of the players selected, their successes and their impact.

Pepe Reina: Three times golden glove winner. Second best clean sheet percentage in premier league history(47%). Became the quickest goalkeeper in Liverpool history to keep a half century of clean sheets(bear in mind this is liverpool, a side that dominated english football for 20 years. Reina played when they were basically also rans yets still got to 50 clean sheets quicker than any other liverpool goalkeeper).

Defense: Over 1100 premier league games and 250 international appearances between them. Plenty of trophies to their name. Nothing flash about them but full of leaders, experience and solidity. Any attack will have to work hard to get any change out of them.

Midfield: Roy Keane and Yaya Toure need no introduction. Giants of the game. Gullit played just the one full season in the premier league but his impact was staggering. In that one season he was runner up in the premier league player of the year awards(as well as being chelseas player of they year). His second season he became player manager and led Chelsea to the F.A Cup, their first trophy in 27 years and the start of their rise to the top of the English and European game. Along with Cantona and Bergkamp he is one of the three most influential figures in terms of foreigners seeing the premier league as a viable option. Never before had a player who had legitimate claim to being the worlds best moved to England. Its in large part thanks to him that over the past 15 years so many wonderful players have played in England. So in terms of impact on the league, their isn't a bigger or better player than Gullit.

Samir Nasri: Free role in between the midfield and the strikers. He's a player of immense skill both as a dribbler and passer. He can find pockets of space and create havoc as can his ability to beat a man and slip balls through to th forwards. P.F.A team of the year in 2010-11

Forwards: Tevez and Torres are two players who score score score. Any type of goal, any type of chance, any type of match. Tireless works who wont give the defence a moments rest they will take any chance that comes their way. And plenty of chances will be coming their ay with the attacking power, flair and guile of Gullit, Toure and Nasri behind them.

Bench: Every position is covered. Arbeloa can play either left or right back. Dion Dublin can play centre half or Striker(over 100 premier league goals and a golden boot winner), Petrov can play defensive midfield or central midfield. Sterling can play as an attacking midfielder on either side, through the middle or as a striker. Becaus of the benches ability to cover every position on the pitch it affords F.C GNLF the opportunity to play pretty much any formation you can think of without any significant weakening of the team. 3/4/5 at the back? No problem. 3/4/5 in midfield? No problem. 1/2/3/4 up front? No problem.

With leaders all over the pitch(and even a player manager...), vast experience, determination, strength of character allied with pace, power, flair, guile, skill and an almost unlimited tactical flexibility you really only have one option in this poll...

Vote F.C GNLF

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm sorry, but [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION] team is so much stronger, the current poll score is ridiculous. Ray Parlour and Paul Ince in midfield? Thierry alone up front with Djorkaeff, Mata AND Juninho in behind? Steve Finnan in there as well.

What a team, and to leave Kevin Pressman on the bench is a luxury.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm sorry, but [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION] team is so much stronger, the current poll score is ridiculous. Ray Parlour and Paul Ince in midfield? Thierry alone up front with Djorkaeff, Mata AND Juninho in behind? Steve Finnan in there as well.

What a team, and to leave Kevin Pressman on the bench is a luxury.

You voted for the tabby cat in the world's hardest creature, didn't you?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You voted for the tabby cat in the world's hardest creature, didn't you?

Voted? I started it. But if you're mounting grounds for a defence of your team, pack it in. Your defence is crap, Henchoz and Southgate in the centre? Staunton and Lauren at full back? And come on, your midfield is unbalanced all over the place and your front three is narrow and too similar. Your team isn't even close to being as good as [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION] and his selection so it's an easy decision for this Elephant.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Voted? I started it. But if you're mounting grounds for a defence of your team, pack it in. Your defence is crap, Henchoz and Southgate in the centre? Staunton and Lauren at full back? And come on, your midfield is unbalanced all over the place and your front three is narrow and too similar. Your team isn't even close to being as good as [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION] and his selection so it's an easy decision for this Elephant.

No need to mount a defend my tam. I've stated the case for it in my previous post. I'm just establishing your credentials. :dunce::thumbsup:

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I'm a bit worried that whichever of us goes through, this hard fought match will have really taken it out of us for the semi final.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This is a no-brainer to me. If [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION] doesn't go through - despite GNLF's fantastic lobbying - it would be a disgrace. There's world cup winners in there, then invincibles are there, it's just a very good squad.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is a no-brainer to me. If [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION] doesn't go through - despite GNLF's fantastic lobbying - it would be a disgrace. There's world cup winners in there, then invincibles are there, it's just a very good squad.

There is no doubt Shatner's has put together an excellent team and squad, it's, imo, one of the three or four strongest in the competition and one of the favourites to win. However, there are world cup winners and invincibles in my squad too. In fact I have the man who scored the winning goal and was man of the match in the 2008 European Championship final(as well as having won the world cup and a second European championship).

I'd also like to point out that this is a competition based on the players' time in the premier league. With the exception of Ruud Gullit(who was still good enough to be runner up in the pfa player of the year awards in his first season and then in his second, as a player manager, led Chelsea to their first major trophy in over 25 years) all of my team played in the premier league during their peak years. As good a player as Djorkaeff was at his peak, at Bolton he was taking it easy. To a lesser extent, and more contentiously, the same could be said for Desailly who was 30 when he joined Chelsea.

Finally, if these teams were to meet I believe midfield would be key. And Ince/Parlour as good as they are would be second best to Keane/Toure/Gullit. Djorkaeff/Juninho/Mata are going to cause havoc on the ball....but they're not going to see much of it and they're not going to be doing much of the donkey work in winning it.

That is why I believe those previously undecided should

VOTE F.C GNLF

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There is no doubt Shatner's has put together an excellent team and squad, it's, imo, one of the three or four strongest in the competition and one of the favourites to win. However, there are world cup winners and invincibles in my squad too. In fact I have the man who scored the winning goal and was man of the match in the 2008 European Championship final(as well as having won the world cup and a second European championship).

I'd also like to point out that this is a competition based on the players' time in the premier league. With the exception of Ruud Gullit(who was still good enough to be runner up in the pfa player of the year awards in his first season and then in his second, as a player manager, led Chelsea to their first major trophy in over 25 years) all of my team played in the premier league during their peak years. As good a player as Djorkaeff was at his peak, at Bolton he was taking it easy. To a lesser extent, and more contentiously, the same could be said for Desailly who was 30 when he joined Chelsea.

Finally, if these teams were to meet I believe midfield would be key. And Ince/Parlour as good as they are would be second best to Keane/Toure/Gullit. Djorkaeff/Juninho/Mata are going to cause havoc on the ball....but they're not going to see much of it and they're not going to be doing much of the donkey work in winning it.

That is why I believe those previously undecided should

VOTE F.C GNLF

See what I mean? Amazing lobbying. You should go through for just that.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
See what I mean? Amazing lobbying. You should go through for just that.

Ha, I'll take any method of progress I can! Sadly (for me) every time I post I seem to go a further vote behind:( Still, it took weeks to complete the draft, I'm not going to go out without fighting tooth and nail for my team even if it does appear to be a losing battle.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
[MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION] wins 16-10 to advance to the Semi Finals.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here