Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Plonker who missed the match.

Russ

Rust Man
May 4, 2013
As we left the stadium and walked over the bridge with hundreds of other people towards the trains , a rather bewildered looking young chap who was walking in the opposite direction towards the stadium asked a steward 'it is a 3 o'clock kick off isn't it? '. After getting the bad news, he then shouted to his mate and the two girls they were with......hey!!!! We've missed the bloody game. We had to laugh.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I shouldn't laugh at that as a similar thing happened to us when we were at Withdean.
My wife and I knew that that the last match of the season was to start at 1pm and all morning were aware of same.

We must have both got amnesia because eating lunch at 1.15 I suddenly said "bloody hell we're missing the match." Luckily we live nearby to Withdean and with an almighty dash arrived half hour late. The mates we sat with wouldn't let us forget!!!.i

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I rushed home from a shopping trip in Exeter yesterday to watch the live stream, only to find out at 2:40 that it was all over! I think yesterday was the first time in 32 years that the Albion were playing and I was completely unaware of it.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Think I can beat all these! I once drove with my brother all the way to Swansea for a midweek cup tie only for it to slowly dawn on us as we approached the old Vetch Field that the match was probably not on. It was a dreadful journey there in the pissing down rain and the game had been called off hours earlier! Mobile phones were not common and there was no internet etc plus the radio in my car was broken. We turned straight back and in all it was a 12 hour round trip for nothing!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Think I can beat all these! I once drove with my brother all the way to Swansea for a midweek cup tie only for it to slowly dawn on us as we approached the old Vetch Field that the match was probably not on. It was a dreadful journey there in the pissing down rain and the game had been called off hours earlier! Mobile phones were not common and there was no internet etc plus the radio in my car was broken. We turned straight back and in all it was a 12 hour round trip for nothing!

I'll raise you an overnight stay in Newcastle and the 09.30 train home after the match was cancelled due to snow.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I followed the crowd who said that a game v Torquay at the Goldstone had be cancelled due to snow. We were nearly at the ground but returned to Hove and then to Burgess Hill only to find that the game was played and finished 2 : 2. This was c 1968.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As we left the stadium and walked over the bridge with hundreds of other people towards the trains , a rather bewildered looking young chap who was walking in the opposite direction towards the stadium asked a steward 'it is a 3 o'clock kick off isn't it? '. After getting the bad news, he then shouted to his mate and the two girls they were with......hey!!!! We've missed the bloody game. We had to laugh.

They missed the football 'performance' but were right on time for the disco. He who laughs last...

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'll raise you an overnight stay in Newcastle and the 09.30 train home after the match was cancelled due to snow.

I'll raise you....actually no, I cannot beat that :)

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I followed the crowd who said that a game v Torquay at the Goldstone had be cancelled due to snow. We were nearly at the ground but returned to Hove and then to Burgess Hill only to find that the game was played and finished 2 : 2. This was c 1968.

It was 29th November 1969.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've been to a few games this season where the team thought the match was starting a lot later than it did ...

Russ

Rust Man
May 4, 2013
Wow, some memorable tales.
Not sure if anyone can beat the 400 Bilbao fans who flew to Budapest to watch their team in the Europa final, only to find out on landing that they should have been in Bucharest.

Russ

Rust Man
May 4, 2013
That's a beauty. To actually almost get to the ground and then head home.....oh dear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here