Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFK airport NY to Manhatten, Taxi or how?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Whats the approximate cost of a taxi ? Ive also looked at shared minibuses, ( £40) pre booked for 3 people.

I dont think the train is feasible as my mother is probably not able to carry her case and I cant handle 2 on a train

Suggestions please.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Flat fare, tolls and tip come in at about 70 dollars which will get you anywhere in Manhattan. I'd always go for that because it gets your break off to a relaxed start getting you straight to your hotel.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We usually hire a limo on line before we go for around $70-80 ($45-50 plus drinks) and if you book both ways can get it for less.
Travel in comfort & style and enjoy a glass of vino into the bargain.
It's a holiday FFS and in the overall scheme of things it ain't that much. Hardly more than a yellow cab, chauffeur service with no queues and so much better than the mass transit options especially when tired after a long flight. Try Lincoln Limos on line. Highly recommended.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
We usually hire a limo on line before we go for around $70-80 and if you book both ways can get it for less.
Travel in comfort & style and enjoy a glass of vino into the bargain.
It's a holiday FFS and in the overall scheme of things it ain't that much. Hardly more than a yellow cab and so much better than the mass transit options especially when tired after a long flight.

website ?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Blimey myself and wife paid a few dollars from JFK to Grand Central (where our hotel was) by coach. Took no time at all. Did the same in reverse.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Exactly take the taxi and enjoy yourself. Never see the point of going on holiday and jumping on and off buses to save a couple of quid. That's no holiday, alright if you are 19 or something but no not any more.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
You've had a lot of advice that points you to what I consider expensive options for a ride to a hotel. Very popular in the states now are the rideshare options that are much cheaper. You would have to get a little preparing done in signing up for at least one of the services--uber-x, lyft, sidecar, haxi, etc. You pay only by credit card. It could cost you only a third of the price. Ridesharing is not supposed to pick up at the airports but they all have ways of avoiding the restriction so you must ask online in advance.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Exactly take the taxi and enjoy yourself. Never see the point of going on holiday and jumping on and off buses to save a couple of quid. That's no holiday, alright if you are 19 or something but no not any more.

Can assure you am nowhere near 19 and not a tight sod. However coaches were waiting outside so just got on. No hassle at all. High up and great views.
Each to their own.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Can assure you am nowhere near 19 and not a tight sod. However coaches were waiting outside so just got on. No hassle at all. High up and great views.
Each to their own.

Not a pop at you mate. I just can't stand jfk transportation especially and so just cuff it. Conversely I wouldn't dream of getting a cab from Heathrow into London, but then I am never there on holiday and don't find looking at Brentford in traffic fun.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
In your circumstances it has to be a cab, it’s also the best way to introduce you to the sights and energy of NYC. Be careful on the way back to the airport if you are trying to get a cab between 4 and 5pm as this is the time when the cabbies are changing shifts and don’t always want to stop. Enjoy NYC

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Whats the approximate cost of a taxi ? Ive also looked at shared minibuses, ( £40) pre booked for 3 people.

I dont think the train is feasible as my mother is probably not able to carry her case and I cant handle 2 on a train

Suggestions please.

My suggestion would be the NYC Airporter, which is a shuttle service which runs from each of the airports to Manhattan (I visited with my niece last month, and pre-booked this - we flew into La Guardia. I also booked it for my sister and her friend, who flew to JFK).

The price will depend on where exactly you go in Manhattan, but the ROUNDTRIP fare to Port Authority Bus Terminal (right by Times Square) is $30 per person, which I think you will struggle to beat. There is also a free drop-off service to many different hotels.

Journey time will depend on traffic conditions, but will probably be about one hour.

Link here - NYC Airporter

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
You've had a lot of advice that points you to what I consider expensive options for a ride to a hotel. Very popular in the states now are the rideshare options that are much cheaper. You would have to get a little preparing done in signing up for at least one of the services--uber-x, lyft, sidecar, haxi, etc. You pay only by credit card. It could cost you only a third of the price. Ridesharing is not supposed to pick up at the airports but they all have ways of avoiding the restriction so you must ask online in advance.

Notice that you're having to explain Uber- X . Are they not in the UK yet ??? Or has the service just not quite made it to Brighton yet ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My suggestion would be the NYC Airporter, which is a shuttle service which runs from each of the airports to Manhattan (I visited with my niece last month, and pre-booked this - we flew into La Guardia. I also booked it for my sister and her friend, who flew to JFK).

The price will depend on where exactly you go in Manhattan, but the ROUNDTRIP fare to Port Authority Bus Terminal (right by Times Square) is $30 per person, which I think you will struggle to beat. There is also a free drop-off service to many different hotels.

Journey time will depend on traffic conditions, but will probably be about one hour.

Link here - NYC Airporter

For 3 people this will cost more than a yellow cab. I tend to use yellows but the queue can be a bit long sometimes. May be worth contacting your hotel to see if they have a car service - usually about the same cost as a cab but they'll be waiting for you so no queuing for a cab.

Edit - missed the 'roundtrip' comment......

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Public mini bus.....6-8 places all heading to manhatten, works out decent cost for multi drops to your chosen hotel

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Notice that you're having to explain Uber- X . Are they not in the UK yet ??? Or has the service just not quite made it to Brighton yet ?

I have not seen it where I live in the UK.

Actually just got back to the Chicago area from Pennsylvania where it is 4:15 p.m. in the afternoon. Enjoyed the Penn mountains greatly.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here