Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stats...You do the maths

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Looking back over this poor season one thing still troubles me.

Hyypia left us after 22 League games where he oversaw 3 wins, 9 losses and 10 draws in which we scored just 22 goals whilst conceding 30 goals.

Nathan then stepped in for 2 League games (1 win, 1 draw) before Chris Hughton took over the reigns.

Hughton has had 21 games (1 still to play) in which we've had 6 wins, 10 losses and 5 draws scoring only a paltry 18 goals and conceding 21 goals.

So the new manager has overseen more losses than we did under Hyypia, and we've managed to score 4 goals less too (albeit we've one game remaining). Yes Chris has won 3 more matches than we did under Hyypia and we've conceded less but we're supposed to trust him to do a much better job than Sami are we?

I hope he proves to be a shrewd dealer in the transfer market and that he can be a better motivator to these new players than what went before or we're in for another turbulent season I fear.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On the later point here are his Norwich signings.....shrewd?

an attempt to record all Norwich City signings by the manager who brought them to the club

Sebastien Bassong, Mark Bunn, Jacob Butterfield *, Luciano Becchio
Lee Camp (second spell)
Johan Elmander (loan)
Leroy Fer
Javier Garrido (loan, later permanent), Jonas Gutierrez (loan)
Gary Hooper
Harry Kane (loan), Kei Kamara (loan)
Carlo Nash
Robert Snodgrass
Alexander Tettey, Michael Turner
Martin Olsson
Nathan Redmond
Ricky van Wolfswinkel
Steven Whittaker
Joseph Yobo (loan)

Total Players : 21

* Though Jacob Butterfield became a player during the time of Chris Hughton as Norwich manager, it is widely believed that a deal had been struck some months before in the days of Paul Lambert.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yawn .... won twice as many, conceded less. Terrible, sack him now!

Stats (on the BBC anyway) also show that we've had more than 50% possession in most of our matches. Stats, eh?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Sami had been in charge for the whole season we would have been lucky to get 40 points.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Looking back over this poor season one thing still troubles me.

Hyypia left us after 22 League games where he oversaw 3 wins, 9 losses and 10 draws in which we scored just 22 goals whilst conceding 30 goals.

Nathan then stepped in for 2 League games (1 win, 1 draw) before Chris Hughton took over the reigns.

Hughton has had 21 games (1 still to play) in which we've had 6 wins, 10 losses and 5 draws scoring only a paltry 18 goals and conceding 21 goals.

So the new manager has overseen more losses than we did under Hyypia, and we've managed to score 4 goals less too (albeit we've one game remaining). Yes Chris has won 3 more matches than we did under Hyypia and we've conceded less but we're supposed to trust him to do a much better job than Sami are we?

I hope he proves to be a shrewd dealer in the transfer market and that he can be a better motivator to these new players than what went before or we're in for another turbulent season I fear.

Not sure what your point is. 23 points as opposed to 19.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Draw a line under this awful season as a whole and don't get too tied up in stats.

Start afresh next term with (hopefully) new personnel and renewed optimism and zest.

Give the guy a chance

Then see where we stand

Just an idea

I honestly think CH, TB, PB et al have had a rude awakening and a response is vital.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Draw a line under this awful season as a whole and don't get too tied up in stats.

Start afresh next term with (hopefully) new personnel and renewed optimism and zest.

Give the guy a chance

Then see where we stand

Just an idea

I honestly think CH, TB, PB et al have had a rude awakening and a response is vital.

Indeed.

Premium prices demand a Premium response. Too many shirkers within the club. Root and branch clear out and re start is needed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remember back when we were going through an early good patch under Hughton. There were a lot of posts like this:

Hyypia...18 pts from 22 games...average per game ( 0.82 )....end of season.....38pts....Relegated.
( Jones 4 pts from 2 games.....you can do the maths )
Hughton...8 pts from 6 games....average per game ( 1.33 )....end of season.....61 pts....Comfortable survival.

I can still see the problems we have but Hughton will keep us up.

(from this thread: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...s-Hughton-doing-that-much-better-than-Hyypia/)

The maths in that is actually wrong, and I pointed it out later in the thread.

That's one way of looking at it. Another is to point out you are comparing (as I did above) a 6 game sample, with a 22 game sample. If we compare like for like we get:

Hyypia first 6
W 2
D 1
L 3
F 8
A 8

Hughton first 6
W 2
D 1
L 3
F 6
A 7

Two wins and a draw is 7 points, not 8, for an average of 1.17 per game, a season total of 54, which wasn't enough to stay up at the end of the 2012/13 season, but that's the highest points total for a relegated team since the championship took its current form.

Hyypia didn't continue with such a "successful" pts/game rate. It would be wrong to assume Hughton will, from such a small sample.

For me, all these stats (incl the way things have played out under Hughton) are indicative that the problem wasn't really the manager (and I think Bloom is well aware of that and it's perhaps why he was reluctant to sack Hyypia, and I had the impression was willing to do more business in January so support Hyypia more had he stayed).

People like to slate the foreign manager who has no experience of the Championship. We signed the experienced British manager who knows the division that so many fans were crying out for and any improvement is arguable: Better win percentage, but worse loss percentage; worse goals scored tally, but better goals conceded tally; better goals per/game, but more goalless games.

I'm not saying Hyypia was great, but that he wasn't as bad as he has been painted and things would have been very different if he had a better squad to work with. I'm also not saying Hughton won't be able to address things, and have a better season next season, but he won't do it with this squad.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I remember back when we were going through an early good patch under Hughton. There were a lot of posts like this:

(from this thread: http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...s-Hughton-doing-that-much-better-than-Hyypia/)

The maths in that is actually wrong, and I pointed it out later in the thread.

For me, all these stats (incl the way things have played out under Hughton) are indicative that the problem wasn't really the manager (and I think Bloom is well aware of that and it's perhaps why he was reluctant to sack Hyypia, and I had the impression was willing to do more business in January so support Hyypia more had he stayed).

People like to slate the foreign manager who has no experience of the Championship. We signed the experienced British manager who knows the division that so many fans were crying out for and any improvement is arguable: Better win percentage, but worse loss percentage; worse goals scored tally, but better goals conceded tally; better goals per/game, but more goalless games.

I'm not saying Hyypia was great, but that he wasn't as bad as he has been painted and things would have been very different if he had a better squad to work with. I'm also not saying Hughton won't be able to address things, and have a better season next season, but he won't do it with this squad.

keep-calm-and-stroke-beard.png

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ive done the maths:
Hyppia 19 points from 22
Hughton 23 points from 21 (with 1 to play).

so whatever way you cut it, Hughton has performed better, and kept us up. arguably if Hyypia had gone on holiday for a week and let Jones hold the fort we'd still stay up.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
In the bus queue after the game, someone said that Hughton's record in his last 18 league games where his team has gone behind is W0 D0 L18. I have not verified this statistic but it holds true for his Brighton tenure.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In the bus queue after the game, someone said that Hughton's record in his last 18 league games where his team has gone behind is W0 D0 L18. I have not verified this statistic but it holds true for his Brighton tenure.

Brighton's record in the last 97 games in which they have gone behind is

W4 D32 L61

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012

W4 D32 L61

On the face of it that is absolutely diabolical! Do you have any comparative data for other clubs? I realise that's a bit much to ask but you do seem like you might have a few databases lying about the place :wink:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

W4 D32 L61

This would suggest our problems run deeper than just buying some players this summer.

I would think it's going to take some time to turn this lack of team spirit around and maybe needs a drop into League One to try and then get promoted and get the positivity back into the club.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
On the face of it that is absolutely diabolical! Do you have any comparative data for other clubs? I realise that's a bit much to ask but you do seem like you might have a few databases lying about the place :wink:

There is another stat that in 79% of games the team that score first doesn't lose the match. So we "should" have won five times more than we have.

Last edited:

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
There is another stat that in 79% of games the team that score first doesn't lose the match. So we "should" have won five times than we have.

Interesting, thanks. So not great but possibly not quite as appalling as it looks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here