Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reasons to be optimistic...

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
With the general doom and gloom I thought it would be good to look for some positives:

1. We matched Watford in most departments, so with a few additions games like those would be winnable. If we can start scoring goals it breeds confidence. It may take less than some people think to turn the corner.
2. Kayal & the prospect of the new recruitment team delivering more signings of his ilk
3. High % of season ticket renewals
4. Settled pre-season ahead for a chance to start the season well from the outset
5. No more Kemy

Anything else?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
O'Grady playing well, full of commitment and determination; will hopefully form a good partnership with Baldock next season !

Much as he has done ok I would prefer that we recoup our money by selling him and buy a better goalscorer as he doesnt look like he will score enough goals even given the chances but his hold up play is good.

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
Much as he has done ok I would prefer that we recoup our money by selling him and buy a better goalscorer as he doesnt look like he will score enough goals even given the chances but his hold up play is good.

I think he's hold up play will help Baldock no-end, as it did in the Arsenal F.A. Cup match, in which they both scored.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
O'Grady playing well, full of commitment and determination; will hopefully form a good partnership with Baldock next season !

like some of what he does. but i'm afraid we need a striker or 2 that can actually put the ball in the net!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We haven't talked about O'Grady much recently. I'd really like us to keep him. Of course we need better goal scorers too, but I think Chirs offers us something and I'd like to see him stay.

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
1/ I won't have to watch Greer kicking the ball back to Stockdale for another 4 months
2/ Another clubs fans can feel disappointed that CMS won't score for them
3/ Another clubs fans can feel disappointed that Best won't score for them
4/ Another clubs fans can feel disappointed that O'Grady won't score for them
5/ Seeing JFC being loaned out to a league 1 side
6/ Knowing that we won't be in the same league as Crawley
7/ The anticipation that we might sign some decent players in the summer
8/ Not getting any greyer watching the Albion

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This may surprise a few but I can see Stockdale having a good season. When he joined us he wasnt fit, was overweight and careless but has improved, possibly down to working with Niemi, and I envisage a further improvement next season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With the general doom and gloom I thought it would be good to look for some positives:

1. We matched Watford in most departments, so with a few additions games like those would be winnable. If we can start scoring goals it breeds confidence. It may take less than some people think to turn the corner.
But according to some on here we have to buy at least eight or ten new players. Buy, that is, (with Tony's money, of course!) - and no cheap ones, and absolutely NO LOANEES, 'cos they're all rubbish and don't try!
I think you're pretty much right - reasonably optimistic for next season. I don't think we'll pull up any trees, but comfortable mid-table won't seem at all bad after this dog's breath of a season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To add - a manager with experience of getting out of this league (with a healthy budget at Newcastle admittedly)
I do wish people would stop banging on about CH getting Newcastle promoted from this division, and then adding the caveat that he only did it with a bumper budget and quality Premier League players.
1).It's not a piece of p*ss to sale straight back up again when relegated - as Fulham (with an £11M striker!) and Cardiff have shown this year, as have many clubs who have come down and not gone back up again.
2). Yes, Newcastle will no doubt have had a bigger budget than us, but I don't recall him spending large amounts to get them back up again.
3). He didn't have a bunch of top class PL players - they were sh*te; that is why they were relegated the season before ... and ...
4). He was doing pretty well with them in the PL after they went back up; Newcastle fans were upset when he was sacked for no apparent reason - I don't think they know why yet.
So, I think maybe we should get fully behind him ......... until mid-September at least! (I've added that last bit just to keep the moaners happy).

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
We're not gonna have to spend the Summer worrying about other clubs poaching our players. Chance would be a fine thing.

I actually also think Baldock could have a good season next year. He showed signs he was coming into his own before the injury and with a good manager, some support from better players and the experience under his belt he could just hit the ground running in his second season a bit like Murray did with Palace. Unlike CMS and Best who have never really looked up to it, Baldock did show signs of being a quality player

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
I do wish people would stop banging on about CH getting Newcastle promoted from this division, and then adding the caveat that he only did it with a bumper budget and quality Premier League players.
1).It's not a piece of p*ss to sale straight back up again when relegated - as Fulham (with an £11M striker!) and Cardiff have shown this year, as have many clubs who have come down and not gone back up again.
2). Yes, Newcastle will no doubt have had a bigger budget than us, but I don't recall him spending large amounts to get them back up again.
3). He didn't have a bunch of top class PL players - they were sh*te; that is why they were relegated the season before ... and ...
4). He was doing pretty well with them in the PL after they went back up; Newcastle fans were upset when he was sacked for no apparent reason - I don't think they know why yet.
So, I think maybe we should get fully behind him ......... until mid-September at least! (I've added that last bit just to keep the moaners happy).

I agree. I added the caveat as per your last brackets!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here