Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did Boro send their keeper up in the last minute?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can't help thinking this was a bizarre decision that could yet cost them promotion.

Despite having ten-men and being 3-1 down, they'd brought the game back to 3-3, but then risked everything by sending their keeper up for a corner in the last minute of stoppage time. Fulham went down the other end and scored, costing Boro a point. Now, even if they win their last match, they will lose out on automatic if Bournemouth get just three points from their last two games - so could be decided tomorrow. A point would have definitely taken it to the last game..

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
That's what happens with staggered k/o times. Probably pushing for a win knowing Watford won earliIer

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Who cares if Karanka hadn't been a more conservative manager for the majority of the season then they might not have had to rely on doing that in the penultimate match to determine whether they got automatic or not.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Because before the game yesterday

Watford - 88
Bournemouth - 84
Middlesbrough - 84
Norwich - 82

With just two games to go, knowing there is only realistically one automatic spot left, Bournemouth are playing Bolton and Charlton, two games they'd be expected to get 6 points from, and Norwich were playing Rotherham and Fulham. Their only chance of automatic promotion is to better Bournemouth's results as the goal difference was 16, and it is hard to imagine Bournemouth failing to win both of their remaining games.

Worst case scenario is that they lose, and they are still in the play offs.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Can't help thinking this was a bizarre decision that could yet cost them promotion.

Despite having ten-men and being 3-1 down, they'd brought the game back to 3-3, but then risked everything by sending their keeper up for a corner in the last minute of stoppage time. Fulham went down the other end and scored, costing Boro a point. Now, even if they win their last match, they will lose out on automatic if Bournemouth get just three points from their last two games - so could be decided tomorrow. A point would have definitely taken it to the last game..

Agree. Result flatters a poor Fulham team.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you dont often see it go as wrong as that, but then you dont often see it help much either. at best it causes some confusion in the box as defenders dont know who to pick up.

after watching this incident i was left thinking why not push the keeper up to the halfway line to mark their up field player, and have the player normally doing that push into the box. same effect, but keeper on the halfway line.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It does make sense unless Bmouth lose tomorrow. Then in hindsight it could be a mistake.

An interesting call by Karanka as many managers would have bottled it and settled for a draw, so good on him for trying.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
you dont often see it go as wrong as that, but then you dont often see it help much either. at best it causes some confusion in the box as defenders dont know who to pick up.

after watching this incident i was left thinking why not push the keeper up to the halfway line to mark their up field player, and have the player normally doing that push into the box. same effect, but keeper on the halfway line.

We did that at The Goldstone against Walton in the cup losing 1-0 we did that with Brian Powney when we had a ccorner, they brroke the player beat Powney and then outran him to score now 2 - 0 down and effectively out of the cup. We pushed forward but got caught out twice more.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Because before the game yesterday

Watford - 88
Bournemouth - 84
Middlesbrough - 84
Norwich - 82

With just two games to go, knowing there is only realistically one automatic spot left, Bournemouth are playing Bolton and Charlton, two games they'd be expected to get 6 points from, and Norwich were playing Rotherham and Fulham. Their only chance of automatic promotion is to better Bournemouth's results as the goal difference was 16, and it is hard to imagine Bournemouth failing to win both of their remaining games.

Worst case scenario is that they lose, and they are still in the play offs.
But with that point they would be second by a clear point, thus putting a huge amount of extra pressure on Bouremouth to get a result. If they do expect them to win both their last games, then why take the gamble? Bournemouth showed against Sheffield Wednesday, the nerves are starting to show.

I know if Borough had scored there would have been extra pressure on Bournemouth, but for me, when they sent the keeper up, they were 2nd in the table. I think Borough have a lot more chance of beating us, that Bournemouth do Charlton next Sunday.

I think it was complete stupidity what Middlesborough done.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
It does make sense unless Bmouth lose tomorrow. Then in hindsight it could be a mistake.

An interesting call by Karanka as many managers would have bottled it and settled for a draw, so good on him for trying.
Maybe Borough could sign some top premiership loan players for the play offs!!! :moo::dunce:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It was completely the wrong decision from Middlesbrough for me, if they draw, they move ahead of Bournemouth and puts pressure on them to get something from their game on Monday, now Bournemouth know even if they lose against Bolton they'll control their own destiny, and if they win they are guaranteed promotion where's a draw would have seen it go to the last day of the season regardless.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Obvious really. One point wasn't realistically going to keep them in the hunt for automatic promotion, only a win would do.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Obvious really. One point wasn't realistically going to keep them in the hunt for automatic promotion, only a win would do.
Unless of course Bournemouth lose one of their last two games?! I think there is far more chance of that happening, than Middlesborough not beating us Sunday.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless of course Bournemouth lose one of their last two games?! I think there is far more chance of that happening, than Middlesborough not beating us Sunday.
Yes, but if Borough had won - and with a serious chance of getting three points next week too - B'mth would be under pressure to win both matches. Now B'mth can afford to draw one, and still go up; much less pressure, especially if they despatch Bolton tomorrow, which is very likely. As I said, only a win would realistically have kept Borough in the hunt.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I have more of a chance of getting a date with Jessica Alba than I have of getting a date with Marilyn Monroe, it doesn't mean I should book a table.

Maybe there is more of a chance of Bournemouth dropping points than us winning, but that doesn't mean Bournemouth will drop points. It's not an either/or thing wherein us losing means Charlton win. Bournemouth are still unlikely to drop enough points for Boro to take second regardless of our result.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here