Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I need your help...

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Hey everyone!

As some of you may already know, I suffer from a condition called Ulcerative Colitis, a form of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD).
IBD is a lifelong, often debilitating condition, affecting more than 300,000 people in the UK.
It is traditionally managed through steroids, immunosuppressants and surgery. Whilst this medical intervention helps patients, all medicines have side effects, which affect the sufferers quality of life.

After spending 5 years feeling like rubbish on steroids and chemotherapy meds with nothing working, I was facing the prospect of surgery to remove my colon. I thought there must be another way I did my own research and experimentation, learning many different ways in how to manage my condition, I tried making massive changes to my diet and lifestyle.

3 years on and I now feel healthier than I've ever done before and am symptom free most of the time. I wish I knew all I know now when I was first diagnosed.

I have been working on a project to help sufferers new and old to find the best information and share their ideas and experiences.

www.ibdrelief.com

To help get the project off the ground we have entered Virgin Media's "Pitch to Rich" in a hope to win the £150,000 prize.

Most of the process is around gaining public votes for your business idea. This is where you come in! I would really appreciate it if you could vote for us and share it with as many people as you can. You can do this and view our pitch here -

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/pitch-to-rich/start-up/ibdreliefcom/

Voting closes on the 5th May so I need your help now. Voting should only take a couple of minutes, please remember to confirm your vote via email otherwise it won't count!
At the moment we need over 500 votes to make the next round but would love to get as many as possible.

We have already had news coverage here -

Brighton and Hove News

And hoping for some more next week.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Done, Nice to hear that having found alternative ways to manage you want to help others as well.
Good luck,

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
I suffer from UC too and have done for 25 years now (from the age of 21) !

Certainly tests you and makes you wonder whether its worth it at times !

130,000 plus tablets over that time and I rattle more than a sweet jar :)

Shake, rattle and roll !

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
Done, I was finally diagnosed with Terminal Ileum Crohn's and Bile Salt Malabsorption last summer, after suffering from the symptoms for around 10 years, so I also know how other sufferers feel. Good luck.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Will your project be mostly about an app for sufferers, or about giving sufferers one to one access to some of the professions you mention?

And is it a business that you're starting, that will hopefully help people and make a profit too, or is it a non profit organisation you're setting up?

Initially it will be a website containing information to help sufferers. From my own experience and from talking with many other sufferers there is so much that can be done to help all their symptoms not just with medication. I want to have all this information in one place.

It's taken me 7 years of having the condition with extensive research and self experimentation to deal with my condition as well as I do, it seems a shame there are so many others that struggle with their symptoms and aren't aware there could be other things or medications they could be doing/using.

I also have ideas to potentially -
  • Create an app
  • Create support groups
  • Run events
  • Create courses/retreats to learn how to deal with their condition
  • Create books/ebooks
  • Connect with trusted therapists that can help sufferers in a variety of areas (physio/alternative medicine/diet etc)

I haven't decided what business to set up yet. People's advice/thoughts seems to vary greatly! I had looked into setting it up as a charity but there is a lot of legislation around that including I'm not sure I would qualify in having the condition so it could be seen I'm benefiting from setting it up!

I have also considered a not for profit. Even if it was a for-profit I would be very focused on using the profit to grow the business and help more people.

I have my own web design company so I can run things through that at this stage and then set something up when I know it's viable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Initially it will be a website containing information to help sufferers. From my own experience and from talking with many other sufferers there is so much that can be done to help all their symptoms not just with medication. I want to have all this information in one place.

It's taken me 7 years of having the condition with extensive research and self experimentation to deal with my condition as well as I do, it seems a shame there are so many others that struggle with their symptoms and aren't aware there could be other things or medications they could be doing/using.

I also have ideas to potentially -
  • Create an app
  • Create support groups
  • Run events
  • Create courses/retreats to learn how to deal with their condition
  • Create books/ebooks
  • Connect with trusted therapists that can help sufferers in a variety of areas (physio/alternative medicine/diet etc)

I haven't decided what business to set up yet. People's advice/thoughts seems to vary greatly! I had looked into setting it up as a charity but there is a lot of legislation around that including I'm not sure I would qualify in having the condition so it could be seen I'm benefiting from setting it up!

I have also considered a not for profit. Even if it was a for-profit I would be very focused on using the profit to grow the business and help more people.

I have my own web design company so I can run things through that at this stage and then set something up when I know it's viable.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure that having the condition doesn't exclude you from setting it up as a charity.

It's difficult to know what the best thing to do is. On the one hand it would be nice if you can make a profit from all the effort your going to, but on the other hand you know how bad the condition can be for some people, and no doubt you want to help as many as you can without it costing them.

There are existing charities for people with IBD, do they not have a way of including the information you want to share with other sufferers? Could you speak to them about it, and if suitable, have a page put on their websites?

Good luck getting the prize and with whatever you choose to do.

Last edited:

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I was diagnosed with UC when I was a kid and I suffered terribly with it for a number of years before it seemed to clear itself up and I've never had any problems since, so I don't know if the diagnosis was correct, I'd be interested to compare symptoms with anyone who has it, or has had it. You have my vote.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Done Good Luck

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here