Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club record signings

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I'm sure at least one NSCer will have the definitive answer, but how many other clubs in domestic football have released the club's record signing at the end of his contract?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I suspect Darren Bent, Villa, £18 million will be added to that list in the next week or two.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Bolton paid £10million for Johan Elmander and he left for galatasary on a free.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Was Michael Owen released by Newcastle? Fairly sure he's still their record transfer

Correct with Michael Owen.

Another high profile one is Rio Ferdinand, he was a British Transfer Record when he moved to Man Utd from Leeds. He moved to QPR on a free at the end of last season. Of course his career was rather different to most players mentioned on this thread so far.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
1893 Scotsman Willie Groves England West Bromwich Albion to England Aston Villa £100

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Did they not pay more for shearer? Obviously he scored bucket loads but they also didn't get a fee back when he retired

Shearer was £15 million, Owen was £16.8million. Both were record signings for Newcastle at the time they signed (in fact Shearer was I believe a world record transfer at the time) and they lost both for nothing, although Shearer wasn't released he retired.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Chelsea, Torres, £50 million

That's not correct. He was contracted until 2016. He joined Milan on a 2-year loan last summer, then this move was made permanent in Jan, before joined Atletico on loan until the end of next season. I'm not sure of the reason for all this weird transfers/loans.

Was Michael Owen released by Newcastle? Fairly sure he's still their record transfer

Whilst technically released, this is only because Newcastle were relegated and Owen did not want to sign a new contract with them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's not correct. He was contracted until 2016. He joined Milan on a 2-year loan last summer, then this move was made permanent in Jan, before joined Atletico on loan until the end of next season. I'm not sure of the reason for all this weird transfers/loans.

Whilst technically released, this is only because Newcastle were relegated and Owen did not want to sign a new contract with them.

Fair enough. Some clubs receive a loan fee when a player comes to them. We didn't pay City anything for Bridge, but bizarrely did pay Millwall a loan fee for McCammon. United are paying about £9 million for Falcao for one year (plus wages)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't imagine there are too many club record signings that have been sold on again for a profit.

Shirley the very nature of these record signings is buying a finished player with a decent palmares at the peak of their form.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here