Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How far have we REALLY come in the last 10 years???

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Apart from moving to the AMEX, not that far...

2004-05: Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 19.56.44.png 2014-15: Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 19.57.33.png.

The STATS don't lie...

:moo: :jester: :fishing: :jester: :moo:.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think the difference between then and now, I was bloody over the moon to have stayed up that season and thought Mark McGhee did an amazing job with the budget he had. With the money that we spent this season we should not have been in this position and something has gone very wrong this season, but there is a small hope that next season will be better. Then I knew as it finished we would be lucky to survive again and that's how it turned out. I know we have no right to be in this division but we must have a better chance then before. Haven't we?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I certainly feel far less affinity with the players but my seat and view are better. Not sure our prospects on the pitch are that much better though, as I'm not convinced that is our main short term priority any more. We may be spending more than ever but it seems most other teams are spending just a bit more, hence where we find ourselves. I expect more of the same next season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The league 1 winning team under Gus, would beat this current team under Hughton imo

Not sure about the League 1 team but the Championship team that lost to Palace would have easily. We have gradually got worse since that day culminating in the last couple of weeks since Easter. It could be said that we have gone backwards since end of January.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Personally I feel we have come on leaps and bounds. Back then I felt we were lucky to be in the championship. We were a team that could drop anytime. Now I am upset if we do not stay up.
I also feel it is a daft threat. In reality in your going to do that since the 80s we have gone backwards. All that really matters is the hear and now

I think the difference between then and now, I was bloody over the moon to have stayed up that season and thought Mark McGhee did an amazing job with the budget he had. With the money that we spent this season we should not have been in this position and something has gone very wrong this season, but there is a small hope that next season will be better. Then I knew as it finished we would be lucky to survive again and that's how it turned out. I know we have no right to be in this division but we must have a better chance then before. Haven't we?

It's not the finishing 4th bottom that kills
Me,it's the false hope.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It looks like we will finish with the same amount of points when we were relegated under Coppell in the season when we lost 12 in a row (including 10 under Hinshelwood). Shows what a massive underachievement this season has been.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Back then we were massively over-achieving; this season we have under-achieved. Back then, I knew it would be a miracle if would sustain that level for another season - this year I fully expect us to do better next season.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Personally I feel we have come on leaps and bounds. Back then I felt we were lucky to be in the championship. We were a team that could drop anytime. Now I am upset if we do not stay up.
I also feel it is a daft threat. In reality in your going to do that since the 80s we have gone backwards. All that really matters is the hear and now

What happened between your first and second paragraphs?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And how many were watching home games in 2005?

B'muff and Watford are getting promoted, their gates together equal ours. Thats how far we've come

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
That's exactly right. In the 2004-5 era we were in the same category as clubs such as Crewe, Rotherham and Gillingham. Like them we'd punched well above our weight just to reach the 2nd tier and staying in it was a major achievement. Now we see ourselves in the same category as the likes of Forest, Leeds and Derby; teams that, given a fair wind and a following tide, could become established Prem sides like Swansea, Palace and Southampton.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that in 2004-5 we regarded 20th in the second tier as an over-achievement. Now it's an under-achievement.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Don't know about ten years, but we've blown the previous five years this season.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
what a joke

We're an established 2nd tier club with a superb stadium and training facility.

Been a crap season but we're still far beyond those days.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Solution -- don't hope.
Give in to despair. It's' the NSC way.

Why be surprised when you can be disappointed?

Why be disappointed when you can be outraged?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here