Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glaswegian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
whats "RP" mean?

and given our demographic why no Brightonian? or non-traditional sussex (london/estuary/sussex fusion)?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
For the most part it's a characterless Brightonian mutter, but it varies on occasion with who I'm with. A few months ago I noticed my tongue had grown in snootiness, and I don't know surely why. I am in the same workplace and position and haven't suddenly befriended a Basil or Boris and feign newfound wealth to fit in with. Maybe it's being with my Spanish girlfriend who needs the Queen's English to fully grasp my uninspiring utterances. And maybe also it's being with some of the same people at work, but now, with me approaching 40, I feel the need to distance myself from them - although just as likely is for me to make out I am as long ago any invites to events or casual brews dried up and to their youthful eyes I'm the odd old chap I haven't accepted myself to quite yet be.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
It started out Anglian but has over the last 22 years moved into a mix of Anglian/Floridian/midwest US/Californian. Now when I'm being formal I seem to talk as an American news reader would.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
What is 'Traditional Sussex' ??? I'm BrightUn born and bred though so I guess Southern?
Sounds very like a Somerset accent. I worked 30 years ago with a guy who was in his sixties and had never been out of Sussex. Heard it a few times but it is quite a rare thing, more likely to be heard in rural parts of Sussex.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Southern with a bit of a West Country thrown in.
Born and grew up in a Brighton, father from Somerset.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sounds very like a Somerset accent. I worked 30 years ago with a guy who was in his sixties and had never been out of Sussex. Heard it a few times but it is quite a rare thing, more likely to be heard in rural parts of Sussex.

It's a hard one to explain, not as worzel as Somerset, but definitely a rural Sussex accent.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
For the most part it's a characterless Brightonian mutter, but it varies on occasion with who I'm with. A few months ago I noticed my tongue had grown in snootiness, and I don't know surely why. I am in the same workplace and position and haven't suddenly befriended a Basil or Boris and feign newfound wealth to fit in with. Maybe it's being with my Spanish girlfriend who needs the Queen's English to fully grasp my uninspiring utterances. And maybe also it's being with some of the same people at work, but now, with me approaching 40, I feel the need to distance myself from them - although just as likely is for me to make out I am as long ago any invites to events or casual brews dried up and to their youthful eyes I'm the odd old chap I haven't accepted myself to quite yet be.

Yeh cool, agree :smile:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
West Dublin / indistinctive Irish - Eamonn Andrews minus 60 years maybe.

He died a lot longer ago than I thought on checking up - I clearly only heard him from archive footage.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here