Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - For the teachers and parents on NSC - your opinion ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My daughter goes to Blatch and is 13. She's come home today upset because in RE they were shown a film of the conflict in Gaza. Dead bodies and body parts graphically shown. Her mum has looked up the certificate and it is a 15. Now I'm not a prude etc but is it really appropriate for a 13 year old to be shown a 15 cert film even without asking her parents ? You send your children to school expecting them to be protected and nurtured not to be shown graphic violence.

Am I over reacting or is my concern justified ? *** awaits the trolls with 'grow a pair' comments ***

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
If my daughter came home upset, I would want to know why. In this case it seems that there may have been an oversight. A polite probing question may be the way forward?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Yea they should have got consent to feed your daughter sensationalist propoganda. Did they also show the results of some of the suicide bombings before the wall was built for balance?

There is far more than one issue at play here, could you link this film?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If my daughter came home upset, I would want to know why. In this case it seems that there may have been an oversight. A polite probing question may be the way forward?

Nah, ring the Daily Mail news desk and bring hell down on their heads.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Polite, OK - but you should make your displeasure clearly known to the school. A written complaint would be in order - they should not take it upon themselves to show 15 rated films to 13 year olds.
And you should also question which side's point of view they are trying to put across.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I saw the BBC's Battle of Culloden in school at the same age. Depressed the daylights out of me for a month.

But since the Jacobite rebellion isn't a live political issue, there was no internet, and no wind-up artists a mouse-click away, it was ok.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
My daughter goes to Blatch and is 13. She's come home today upset because in RE they were shown a film of the conflict in Gaza. Dead bodies and body parts graphically shown. Her mum has looked up the certificate and it is a 15. Now I'm not a prude etc but is it really appropriate for a 13 year old to be shown a 15 cert film even without asking her parents ? You send your children to school expecting them to be protected and nurtured not to be shown graphic violence.

Am I over reacting or is my concern justified ? *** awaits the trolls with 'grow a pair' comments ***

No, this should not have been done. In other areas, the school would talk about responsibility and the dangers of being exploited when you are underage etc etc. I think it may just have been an oversight or an expectation that it would be OK, as kids are so much more worldly now, not that that makes it acceptable. On a more sinister note, it may have been a member of staff with an axe to grind, desperate to get his/her "message" across, which would be a different ball-game. A quick note to the Head to say that staff should check the rating first would probably suffice.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
They have broken the law by showing a 15 rated film to underage children.

They haven't broken the law. Educational reasons over rule age certification. However permission should be sought from parents after agreement from headteacher and governors.
That's what should happen. Then parents can opt out.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013

This question is on the bbfc website under faq's . Confirms my answer about legality etc is correct. Have a read on there.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
They have broken the law by showing a 15 rated film to underage children.

Wrong....You cannot see it in cinema or rent it if under 15........
.I`m on the fence re showing it to 13 year olds.... it`s good to show them sympathetically these things before they see them out for themselves..Some take it better than others but Teachers should talk through before and after.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
They haven't broken the law. Educational reasons over rule age certification. However permission should be sought from parents after agreement from headteacher and governors.
That's what should happen. Then parents can opt out.

Is this actually true? Educational reasons can mean that the certification can be by-passed. Does this mean that an 18-rated film showing explicit sex scenes could be shown with impunity, if a member of staff decided that that this would aid sexual awareness in 13 year olds?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Wrong....You cannot see it in cinema or rent it if under 15........
.I`m on the fence re showing it to 13 year olds.... it`s good to show them sympathetically these things before they see them out for themselves..Some take it better than others but Teachers should talk through before and after.[/QUOTEach

Edit. Misread your post. Sorry

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here