Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Armenian Genocide

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
100 year anniversary today,has it had much coverage on British TV?

just like the concentration camps these things should never be forgotten

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was genocide. Better for Turkey to own up and apologise, IMHO - that's more likely to help them in their quest for EU membership.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was genocide. Better for Turkey to own up and apologise, IMHO - that's more likely to help them in their quest for EU membership.

The thing is, no Turk around today was there to have witnessed it, so they can say they wouldn't ever have done such a thing.

Turkey then, is probably similar to what is going on in the Middle East now but without youtube.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Genocide. It was 100 years ago. Move on racists. We need to work with Turkey today. Fantastic people.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Genocide. It was 100 years ago. Move on racists. We need to work with Turkey today. Fantastic people.

Think its pretty shocking with Turks still deny it, millions died. Can't see why requesting this is racist?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Think its pretty shocking with Turks still deny it, millions died. Can't see why requesting this is racist?

Sorry, bottle of wine confused my thought and threads. I agree it was genocide and truly shocking. Mustafa Kamel, Attaturk, was to blame after taking control of Turkey on his way to being their greatest Leader (?). Today he is being rightly regaled for his heroic deeds in commanding the Turks to fight off the Allied Forces invasion at Gallipoli. More Armenians died than the 250,000+ Turkisha nd Allied Forces and this should be remembered.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
History says an estimated 800k - 1.5m killed, and I think Turkey only wants to admit to a few hundred thousand. Genocide is to ethnically cleanse, which they probably find embarrassing. Turkey in those days sounds like a bit like IS today.

It was. The Armeneans were mainly Christian, with the Ottoman Empire being an Islamic state.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have seen coverage on the news channels, cannot remember which ones. I do watch foreign news sources though. The century of Gallipolli has got more attention.
It is nothing against modern generation of Turks, any more than WW2 memorials are nothing against modern Germans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here