Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Hinckley up for parole - What if this was in the UK and not America?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a name from the past.

Do you think the would be assassin would/should be paroled some 33 years later?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Hinckley-moved-mother-s-home-permanently.html

I was listening to some liberal American's discussing this.
As you'd imagine they were very reverential about the title of President, I got the impression that was irrespective as to who it was.
In the end they seemed to decide to maintain the current 'halfway house' situation, on the basis that Hinckley has been clear of the insanity for over 20 years.

With the caveat "this guy shot the President, there's no way he should ever walk 'free' ".

My initial reaction was a that was harsh due to the length of time, treatment received, and threat posed.

But it occurred to me, even as someone not particularly monarchist, I'd be thinking no to parole should someone have shot Queenie Liz II.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But it occurred to me, even as someone not particularly monarchist, I'd be thinking no to parole should someone have shot Queenie Liz II.

I believe Ian Ball, the guy who shot at, and tried to kidnap Princess Anne, is still held in high-security psychiatric hospital

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Oddly, these things tend to take on a bizarre "for their own safety" flavour. Take Mark Chapman (John Lennon's killer): 20 Year sentence, up for parole in 2000, denied 8 times since then through a mixture of the nature (and probably profile) of his crime, and the fact that some whackjob might try to whack the whackjob... That's for killing a musician, but attempting to murder the President? Even if unsuccessful, release would be surprising.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oddly, these things tend to take on a bizarre "for their own safety" flavour. Take Mark Chapman (John Lennon's killer): 20 Year sentence, up for parole in 2000, denied 8 times since then through a mixture of the nature (and probably profile) of his crime, and the fact that some whackjob might try to whack the whackjob... That's for killing a musician, but attempting to murder the President? Even if unsuccessful, release would be surprising.
There might be something in that.
I'm sure the last group of people you'd want as enemies would be gun toting Reagan loving Americans.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

Watching that Trevor McDoughnut documentary on the Mafia last month, where some ex-mob, turned supergrass figures were quite happy taking their chances outside of the witness protection program and living 'in the open' you do wonder about some people's perception of 'threat to life.' Hinckley's been on day/weekend release at his mum's house on and off, which is fairly 'in the open.'

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Watching that Trevor McDoughnut documentary on the Mafia last month, where some ex-mob, turned supergrass figures were quite happy taking their chances outside of the witness protection program and living 'in the open' you do wonder about some people's perception of 'threat to life.' Hinckley's been on day/weekend release at his mum's house on and off, which is fairly 'in the open.'

That's one case that nobody wants to be assigned. Nobody in America, except his relatives, would knowingly help convict John Hinckley's killer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here