Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ex-footballers on life after the final whistle

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Very interesting. With the Sky money you cannot imagine many Prem players having to become car salesmen or firemen in the years to come. As Henderson said of his new £100,000 per week contract for 5 years at Liverpool - he's very happy with it. £25 million before he's thirty. Can't see him as D.I. Henderson in the future.

Another thumbs up and "good read" from me

...In 30 years time - "Inigo Calderon - bringer of prosperity, peace and harmony to all Nations and benign ruler of the Galaxy".

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very interesting article. I know I'm in a tiny minority (perhaps of 1) but I don't begrudge the money professional footballers earn (I think the clubs are often 'wrong' to offer high wages as it can lead them into financial problems but that's another argument). It's always said that it's a short career, and more pertinently the period when you're at the height of your powers and thus at your maximum earning potential is even shorter so you have to make the most of it. Prior to that you won't be paid so much as you're a youngster and after that you won't be paid as much as you're in decline.

My views are coloured slightly by the fact I have a good friend who is a former professional sportsman. When he retired in his mid-30s he found it very hard to adjust. Suddenly there he was in the job market and interviews would go like this:
"So Mr Former Professional Sportsman in your mid-30s what qualifications and experience do you have that makes you right for this role?"
"Well for all of my adult life I played with a ball in a field. Will that do?"
It took him a while to find someone to take a chance on him. And that's just the job side to try and find something to pay the bills; the whole mental adjustment to an enforced career change and perceived loss of status is a topic in itself.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Used to like the old days when the players had to drop down a division to keep their careers going for a couple more years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting read.

Not so much relevant to what players do after retirement after playing but I commend (for the umteenth time on this board) - "My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes" by Gary Imlach as an enlightening and sometimes moving read about what being a pro footballer (and Scottish International) in the 50's and 60's was like - not so much a different world as a whole different universe. Not just a good football related book but a good book full stop.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Fascinating read. It's often assumed that players will go into coaching or management, or into a punditry position once they retire but it's interesting to see what those who fall out of love with the game do - they're the same as you and me, they just got paid a lot more for doing their job.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just goes to show how footballers (during their careers) don't live in the real world.

The ones that don't get the top money should be thinking about their futures whilst in the comfort zone by studying for a new career (they get a hell of a lot of free time). A few do of course and go onto having decent after football careers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here