Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel to London advice for Monday morning

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hi commuters.

after finishing 8 years of daily commuting, I have now been asked to attend a meeting at Southwark at 9 o'clock on Monday morning( why the government want meetings to start so early, gods knows).

Anyway, I will be travelling from Portslade to London Bridge and wondered with the issues that London Bridge have been having, what is the best train to get? I used to get the 7:18, but I understand that has now been stopped going to London Bridge.

I will have a look at the Trainline, but I wonder if regular commuters have any advice please.

Cheers

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Hi commuters.

after finishing 8 years of daily commuting, I have now been asked to attend a meeting at Southwark at 9 o'clock on Monday morning( why the government want meetings to start so early, gods knows).

Anyway, I will be travelling from Portslade to London Bridge and wondered with the issues that London Bridge have been having, what is the best train to get? I used to get the 7:18, but I understand that has now been stopped going to London Bridge.

I will have a look at the Trainline, but I wonder if regular commuters have any advice please.

Cheers
I would leave a full hour before you need to mate , my work hours mean that the 9.17 from haywards heath to london bridge should get me in comfortably on time, but the service is so unreliable i have to get the 8.47 every day

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would leave a full hour before you need to mate , my work hours mean that the 9.17 from haywards heath to london bridge should get me in comfortably on time, but the service is so unreliable i have to get the 8.47 every day

Ok. Ta

Mrs P needs to go to Russell Square Monday and Tuesday for a work course starting 10:00. Would you recommend the London Bridge experience for an inexperienced London Traveller (going from Crowborough where there are "issues" with the service over and above the London Bridge ones) or would she better off going from Tunbridge Wells to Charing Cross. Second option looks easier for getting to Russel Square - short walk to Leicester Square tube and then Piccaddily Line it appears.

Suggestions welcomed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The 6:50ish from Worthing is the direct London Bridge train, stopping at Portslade around 7:05, and getting into LBR around 8:20 all being well.

The later train that you refer to is a Victoria service.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The 6:50ish from Worthing is the direct London Bridge train, stopping at Portslade around 7:05, and getting into LBR around 8:20 all being well.

The later train that you refer to is a Victoria service.

Cheers bozza. I will go for that one. Ta

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The 0818 in to LB (0711 from Hove, the one bozza is talking about) does actually get into LB pretty regularly. Yesterday it was 29mins late in but it did make it.

I do wonder how many NSC posters get that train? I am sure there is a few of us and I try to keep my beady eye out for those using tapatalk on their phones or skip the Palace scores in the metro. Maybe we could wear a small pin or certain tie to identify ourselves as part of the secret collective.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The 0818 in to LB (0711 from Hove, the one bozza is talking about) does actually get into LB pretty regularly. Yesterday it was 29mins late in but it did make it.

I do wonder how many NSC posters get that train? I am sure there is a few of us and I try to keep my beady eye out for those using tapatalk on their phones or skip the Palace scores in the metro. Maybe we could wear a small pin or certain tie to identify ourselves as part of the secret collective.
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] is on it most days - front carriage. It's my train of choice too, although I've not been to London for a few weeks and it doesn't look like I'm going next week either. I'm also a front carriage kinda man.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

i commute to london every day from brighton - i have marsh68 on the back of my suit so always feel free to say hi....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
[MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION], as you should full well know by now, being old enough and certainly ugly enough, the first law of trains in this country is that their timekeeping is inversely proportional to how badly you need to get to where you need to be for a specific time. Get the first train available out in the morning, working on the basis that there will be proportionately fewer broken-down trains in front of it, have a leisurely stroll along the river, spend an hour in a coffee shop and get to your venue five minutes early. Besides, you'll be the first person there on account of the tube screwing up worse than the trains. Them's the rules for Mondays.

Last edited:

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] is on it most days - front carriage. It's my train of choice too, although I've not been to London for a few weeks and it doesn't look like I'm going next week either. I'm also a front carriage kinda man.

Much like my tastes i am middle of the road...next time you draw into Hove you'll see two guys chatting just before the stairs, standing in front of a pillar, i am the one with the black rucksack. On the way home a few months ago i bumped into [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and we had a good old chin wag about the Albion and disagreed on pretty much everything!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
i commute to london every day from brighton - i have marsh68 on the back of my suit so always feel free to say hi....

I have had extensive plastic surgery to look like Johnny Cash and NOT a slightly greying, slightly downbeat, mid-30s guy in a cheap suit, say hi and i'll tell you a story about A Boy Named Sue.

<--- The Man in Black

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The earlier you go the less f-ed up they tend to be. I usually get the 6.04 from Wivelsfield and it's generally at LB within 5 mins of when it's supposed to arrive.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Much like my tastes i am middle of the road...next time you draw into Hove you'll see two guys chatting just before the stairs, standing in front of a pillar, i am the one with the black rucksack. On the way home a few months ago i bumped into [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and we had a good old chin wag about the Albion and disagreed on pretty much everything!

I'm the one frantically staring out of the window trying to see what the weather's doing!

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm the one disagreeing with [MENTION=15296]Sergei's Celebration[/MENTION]

To be honest, I don't think we disagreed on everything. Also, Sergei has some fantastic views on the structure of the armed forces. I've subsequently played them all out as my own :)

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
Mrs P needs to go to Russell Square Monday and Tuesday for a work course starting 10:00. Would you recommend the London Bridge experience for an inexperienced London Traveller (going from Crowborough where there are "issues" with the service over and above the London Bridge ones) or would she better off going from Tunbridge Wells to Charing Cross. Second option looks easier for getting to Russel Square - short walk to Leicester Square tube and then Piccaddily Line it appears.

Suggestions welcomed.

Avoid the Uckfield line unless you really enjoy a gamble. When it runs well it is good as it is much cheaper than other lines. When it doesn't it is terrible. For a novice, I would reccomend T Wells option!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here