Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Big Sam Goes...

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Got West Ham promoted.
Finished 10th first season.
Finished 13th last season.
Currently 10th.

Have they got ideas above their station? Will they live to regret it?

theboybilly

Got West Ham promoted.
Finished 10th first season.
Finished 13th last season.
Currently 10th.

Have they got ideas above their station? Will they live to regret it?

I don't think they will. They have a huge fanbase and when they move to the new stadium the transport links will be unrivalled for a London club.
The Tube, Main Line railway, Dockland Light Railway are all just a short walk from Olympic Park and very soon Crossrail will add another easy access for fans. I think West Ham will comfortably fill the new place and can see real reason for optimism for the club. Their fans are probably more loyal than those at Arsenal or Spurs, and almost certainly more so than those of Chelsea. I also suspect Millwall and Charlton might worry about the new generation of fans picking the Hammers to support rather than their two clubs for the sake of about 10 minutes on a train.
Edit: I know this thread is about Big Sam but I think West Ham are looking beyond his tenure

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm trying to think of any team that has sacked Big Sam and done well as a result - look at what happened to Bolton, Blackburn and Newcastle after he left.

He's not to everyone's taste but he's not a cut-and-dried hoofball manager - that Bolton side of his played really attractive football. I've always thought he's a bit under-rated as a manager, hardly any real failures. Bet it will end in tears for West Ham

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Curious season for West Ham. They had a tremendous first half of the season - going into the Christmas fixtures they were 4th. But since the turn of the year they've been in freefall. 1 win in their last 11, and they've only won twice this calendar year (v Hull and Sunderland). If the season started in January they'd be in the bottom 3.

Not sure if Allardyce has "lost" the dressing room, but something seems to have happened to cause their performances to fall off a cliff. Maybe survival was the target, and having all but achieved that by the turn of the year, they collectively took their foot off the gas and have been coasting. I'd be surprised if Allardyce is still there next season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think they will. They have a huge fanbase and when they move to the new stadium the transport links will be unrivalled for a London club.
The Tube, Main Line railway, Dockland Light Railway are all just a short walk from Olympic Park and very soon Crossrail will add another easy access for fans. I think West Ham will comfortably fill the new place and can see real reason for optimism for the club. Their fans are probably more loyal than those at Arsenal or Spurs, and almost certainly more so than those of Chelsea. I also suspect Millwall and Charlton might worry about the new generation of fans picking the Hammers to support rather than their two clubs for the sake of about 10 minutes on a train.
Edit: I know this thread is about Big Sam but I think West Ham are looking beyond his tenure

I'm trying to think of any team that has sacked Big Sam and done well as a result - look at what happened to Bolton, Blackburn and Newcastle after he left.

He's not to everyone's taste but he's not a cut-and-dried hoofball manager - that Bolton side of his played really attractive football. I've always thought he's a bit under-rated as a manager, hardly any real failures. Bet it will end in tears for West Ham

I think West Ham are in a unique situation because they are moving into an enormous new iconic stadium and they could fill it. Consequently, they need to make their fans feel they are upping their game.

Funnily enough, it might have been similar for us if we had bumbled along as a league one side under say, Russell Slade, and then found ourselves at the Amex. I think the club might have needed to show some ambition immediately in order to fill the place in league one. (Obviously, that wasn't the scenario for us as it turned out)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sadly, I know a lot of West Ham fans and the issue with Allardyce it that they're always on the edge of turning on him. A load of fans didn't want him, never warmed to him and see him as a caretaker until they move into the Olympic Stadium.

On top of that, his style of football (until the beginning of this season) jarred with what West Ham fans expect (rightly or wrongly) and irrespective of his successes, they can't see past that. When they were promoted, they scraped it in the playoffs when they should have demolished the Championship, which is why even that achievement is tarnished.

He's also insufferably arrogant which rubs a lot of people up the wrong way. He's a manager that does a job: he will get you promoted and he will keep you up, but it's unlikely to be much fun and he'll constantly remind you that you owe him for what he's given you.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Sam has done everything asked of him. It's not been pretty at times but he's achieved it.

However, under Sam, we will always be a mid table prem team with the occasional venture into the top or bottom half. I don't know if he can take us any further forward.

With the impending new stadium move, increased TV revenue and a reasonable team, I, along with many other WH fans, think it's time to thank Sam for what he's done and look to the future. Who we go for, gawd knows....Klopp, Moyes, even Eddie Howe has been mentioned but whoever it is, they've got to have ambitions to match the impending move and increased fan base.....or in other words, turn us into a top 8 side every season.

Dec 29, 2011
Southampton were criticised for getting rid of Lambert but look at them now. I can see why they would sack Allardyce, however dreams of being a top 8 side permanently are never going to happen IMO.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Southampton were criticised for getting rid of Lambert but look at them now. I can see why they would sack Allardyce, however dreams of being a top 8 side permanently are never going to happen IMO.

I think you mean Adkins

That's not the point though: I'm not saying that no club ever does better after getting rid of their manager, what I said was that no side has ever got rid of Big Sam and improved their position. Southampton have certainly thrived after Adkins and you could say that Reading have too.

I predict that West Ham will not improve on their current position under a new manager (unless there's a massive injection of new funds, that is)

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
If he goes they will be looking at the bottom 6 next season. Poyet talks to much but when he said 'be careful what you wish for' at this club he was quite right. It is human nature to take what you have for granted and want more. Both he and the club have learnt there.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I really like Big Sam. There is something avuncular and attractive about him that I never used to be able to see. He's funny, blunt and matter-of-fact.. I even find his Real Madrid statements somewhat charming. The football is sometimes a bit dull, but nowhere near as bad as people make out, and it belies a pragmatism that's produced consistently good results everywhere. Plus he signed Jay Jay Okocha.

I stupidly thought he was a one-dimensional football dinosaur, but I was completely wrong.

And Not_BigSam is THE best thing on twitter, ever.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'd agree with the general sentiment of the thread that Sam is under-rated. As a tactician, for example, he worked out Poyet teams and how to beat them. In the 1st Championship season they creamed us at their place and robbed a victory at ours courtesy of pressurising the tippy tappy back 4 and sitting back. He did the same against Sunderland by and large as well.

I spoke to a West Ham fan who can't stand him. The main complaint was that they were brilliant at the start of the year and Downing was in the form of his life. When Nolan was fit again, he walked back into the team, played shite, never got dropped and Downing, now on the wing rather than behind the striker, reverted to type. I can see as a fan how that would wind you up. Whatever, it looks like he is going but as ever, it will all depend on the next appointment. Jurgen Klopp isn't leaving a club which made the Champions league final to go an average Premier league side as has been mentioned on this thread. Then, who out there is much better than what they've got already?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Charlton thought they were better than a top half finish so Curbishley went. They ended up in League 1.

I just think top 10 is as far as West Ham can go. I'm also not convinced that they will come anywhere near filling their new stadium, although offering STs at such a competitive rate will add a few thousand I'm sure.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Sam has done everything asked of him. It's not been pretty at times but he's achieved it.

However, under Sam, we will always be a mid table prem team with the occasional venture into the top or bottom half. I don't know if he can take us any further forward.

With the impending new stadium move, increased TV revenue and a reasonable team, I, along with many other WH fans, think it's time to thank Sam for what he's done and look to the future. Who we go for, gawd knows....Klopp, Moyes, even Eddie Howe has been mentioned but whoever it is, they've got to have ambitions to match the impending move and increased fan base.....or in other words, turn us into a top 8 side every season.

Thing is, can you actually see that consistent top 8 finish happening for you any time soon (regardless of Allardyce being there)?

That's not some thinly veiled dig at West Ham by the way, it's more a statement on the PL itself.

There are numerous clubs who can (and will) challenge for those sort of finishes every year, such as Everton, Swansea and Stoke, who are all clubs that I see as being similar to your own (established, solid, not likely to roll over).

All of you are capable of finishing 8th but you're all also one slightly dodgy season away from being in trouble (look at West Brom), the only way to really break through seems to be to spend big and to do it consistently. I know the tv deal will open up some new finance but it won't give you any advantage over anyone else in the league as they'll be receiving just as much, realistically you'd need your board to go above and beyond, whilst fighting off interest in any players from the established 'big clubs' the whole time.

As said above, in no way a West Ham dig, I just can't imagine any team kicking on beyond 8th every other season for as long as things stay as they are, would be genuinely interested to hear what you think though.

Oh, also, Klopp, behave! :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But every other Prem team has the increased tv cash so it's no real benefit to the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here